Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great White Hunter

The Great White Hunter

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/watch...ught-on-video/

Wayne struggles with mechanical offset.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    It didn’t help that the jackass in the blue bandanna was telling him to aim low (which is the exact opposite of how to compensate for offset). I’m no wlp apologist.

Also, despite being a meat hunter myself and killing more than a few deer and plenty of small game I don’t like watching elephants get shot. I get that there are overpopulation problems in the parks and culling is necessary and paid hunts provide a lot of revenue for said game parks. It just doesn’t appeal to me, it’s the type of killing I could do out of necessity if I had a farm in Africa or something, but not the type of thing that strikes me personally as some sort of grand adventure that I would seek out.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

didn't think the NRA fiasco/PR disaster could get any worse, but once again, I am proven wrong.

Wayne LePeirre is a gigantic douche bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It didn’t help that the jackass in the blue bandanna was telling him to aim low (which is the exact opposite of how to compensate for offset). I’m no wlp apologist.

Also, despite being a meat hunter myself and killing more than a few deer and plenty of small game I don’t like watching elephants get shot.
    Does anyone know how elephant tastes, or what good ways of serving it might be?

WLP sucks, and should go, regardless of this particular hunting escapade- but I am amazed at the lack of self-awareness required to actually be that dude, in his situation, and still think that filming the hunt would be a good idea. How can you be WLP and possibly think that filiming yourself hunting African game goes well for you?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Hey Bungalow Bill! What did you kill?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Also, despite being a meat hunter myself and killing more than a few deer and plenty of small game I don’t like watching elephants get shot. I get that there are overpopulation problems in the parks and culling is necessary and paid hunts provide a lot of revenue for said game parks. It just doesn’t appeal to me, it’s the type of killing I could do out of necessity if I had a farm in Africa or something, but not the type of thing that strikes me personally as some sort of grand adventure that I would seek out.
    It's like we were sharing a brain there for a moment.

There is a difference between hunting and shooting animals.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    It's like we were sharing a brain there for a moment.

There is a difference between hunting and shooting animals.
    I've only hunted in Africa twice, but I've noticed nothing goes to waste. Everything is eaten. One story: I took a hippo and used some of its meat as bait to get a crocodile. We cut a chunk of it an chained it to a spike by the river. I guess the crocs were on break because we saw no activity. We decided to break for lunch and my PH (professional hunter) went towards the spike to get the bait. I asked why and he said if we left it there, the locals would come and take it off the spike to eat themselves. No kidding! That hippo was delicious and probably the best meat I tasted on that hunt. I cannot afford to hunt an ele but I suspect it would feed the local community for weeks.

Several things struck me about this from a hunting perspective:
    • Mr. and Mrs. WLP don't know much about African game and their guides didn't teach them much before they went out. A bit of explanation at the lodge the night before would have eliminated the whispered conversations with a herd of elephants a stone's throw away.
    • The senior guide spoke to WLP like he was a child, and one of the other guides took Mrs. WLP's rifle out of her hands immediately after she fired her second shot. I think the guides had realized that these two were a hazard to everyone around them. The word was probably, "Let them kill stuff but disarm them immediately afterward so they don't shoot anyone."
    • WLP crumbled under stress. Marksmanship aside, he had no idea how to handle his rifle. With a wounded elephant just feet away, he had to be reminded to run the bolt after firing, and he fumbled at everything he did. His wife did a better job but was still pretty weak.
    • Everything said to WLP after the elephant died was a lie--the congratulations, inflating the deed, the prowess involved--it was all to soothe his ego.
    • The guides looked deeply relaxed once the shooting stopped. The senior guide unloaded his double rifle and put the cartridges in his pocket as soon as the second elephant was done, almost as if he knew there was no other risk from any other animal. I'm not sure, but I'd bet a round of drinks that WLP was on a canned hunt.

There's also the fact that this hunt probably cost rank-and-file NRA members something like $200k, but that's another thread.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

This is common for people disconnected with sports hunting and fishing but feel they need to participate for the prestige.

I know of an attorney that paid big bucks to fly fish in MT using a guide. He actually did that because his wife told me he did. I ask him what river he fished, because I've fished a few of them, and he couldn't remember the name.

End of conversation.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List