Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Great White Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    IDK, I think crocodile's live in the same rivers but my guess is they don't kill many hippos. Probably a suicide mission.
    That’s what I was thinking. Maybe pick off a calf here and there but . . .
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If I remember correctly, the biggest natural killer of hippos is other hippos, especially males killing potential rival males.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I watched as much of the video as I could stomach. That's really grim, and not what the president of the NRA should be doing. I would expect any NRA president to be highly proficient with firearms. WLP looks like a clueless Fudd, surrounded by a bunch of other clueless Fudds. "Aim low" What the actual fuck?

I feel very sorry for the elephant, and for the future of the NRA.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

WLP is not really a gun guy. He's an ambitious guy who is just using guns as a means to money, power, and influence.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Too bad they edited out the part where WLP's wife puts a 6.5 Mannlicher round through the back of his head after boinking the pro with the .505 Gibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    Too bad they edited out the part where WLP's wife puts a 6.5 Mannlicher round through the back of his head after boinking the pro with the .505 Gibbs.
    The Short, Happy Life of Wayne LePierre.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    WLP is not really a gun guy. He's an ambitious guy who is just using guns as a means to money, power, and influence.
    The NRA operates in secrecy and has bylaws in place to make sure that WLP stays at the helm. It's a little bit like a dictatorships where the generals (directors) keep the president in power for monetary gain. Some are lobbyist payed by the NRA.

The NRA, though, has carefully consolidated its power, using bylaws to restrict the franchise to a small, insular, and carefully-curated group of this country's gun owners. The organization is an oligarchy, not a democracy, which is why it is able to take positions that its own members don't even support. It's also the reason that, as neat as Congressman Skinner’s bumper-sticker proposal might sound, real-life Americans who want to make their country safer are better off marching, donating, voting, knocking on doors, and making a few well-placed phone calls to the NRA's more lucrative business partners. All of which are meaningful actions, and none of which involve giving a giant pile of money to the NRA to spend as it pleases.
    https://www.gq.com/story/nra-takeover-bylaws-leadership

None of this in anyway should be interpreted as me being anti NRA. I just renewed my membership. I'm just not a supporter of WLP. He's a total F'in dickhead.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The NRA operates in secrecy and has bylaws in place to make sure that WLP stays at the helm. It's a little bit like a dictatorships where the generals (directors) keep the president in power for monetary gain. Some are lobbyist payed by the NRA.

https://www.gq.com/story/nra-takeover-bylaws-leadership

None of this in anyway should be interpreted as me being anti NRA. I just renewed my membership. I'm just not a supporter of WLP. He's a total F'in dickhead.
    That GQ article is lamenting safeguards that prevent someone like Mike Bloomberg from just buying enough life memberships to essentially have a hostile takeover of the Association. I'd say those are prudent measures. Our board meetings are open to all members, and any member can request a copy of the bylaws. The board meetings do tend to go into executive session when discussing planning, but that's pretty normal for any association or company. We can't reveal legal, legislative, or political strategy to our opponents.

I'm only aware of one paid lobbyist who is also a board member, that leaves 75 others who are not. The remainder of our lobbyists are all staff (including me) or contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That GQ article is lamenting safeguards that prevent someone like Mike Bloomberg from just buying enough life memberships to essentially have a hostile takeover of the Association. I'd say those are prudent measures. Our board meetings are open to all members, and any member can request a copy of the bylaws. The board meetings do tend to go into executive session when discussing planning, but that's pretty normal for any association or company. We can't reveal legal, legislative, or political strategy to our opponents.

I'm only aware of one paid lobbyist who is also a board member, that leaves 75 others who are not. The remainder of our lobbyists are all staff (including me) or contractors.
    So with all the calls for WLP to step down for the good of the org, why has the board not seen fit to elect a new exec. VP? That would seem like a no brainer to me.

Maybe you don't know the answer not being a board member and I respect that, but the NRA is losing support because of WLP, as evidenced by the comments on a gun forum. Is the NRA tone deaf?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Any ideas on what would be the natural predator of a hippo? Say in Africa?
    Fully grown hippos? Mostly other hippos, either aggressive males or ornery moms. Occasionally, if one has been wounded/weakened through injury or sickness, an adventurous price of lions or group of crocs will take their chances.

Calves are hunted by crocodiles, lions, and hyenas if they get too far from mom.

In a hypothetical situation in South America, I think jaguars going for calves the most plausible scenario, although there is not generally the density of jaguars to really dent an established population, I would guess.

User Tag List