Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great White Hunter

Site Supporter
    Pigs are out of control in Israel and Israel, they are in Ontario, radioactive pigs from Fukushima and Chernobyl spread across Japan and Europe. Now hippos - when will they hit the Amazon basin and terrorize Brazil! Invasive carp plague our waterways. Camels abound in Australia.

Hey, when civilization falls, they are good eats!

They need Dr. Pol and Dr. Oakley to do those castrations!

Done plenty of deer, duck, dove hunting around here. Never really had a desire to go to Africa. I've got a few family members who have however and they really love it. Not sure if it's the actual hunt versus just marveling at the skill of everyone involved from the professional Hunters, to The Trackers, to the people who manage the camps.

Seems like if you ever see "Africa hunt" and "video" in the same sentence either on CNN, or a Firearms forum, it's going to be something bad. Can be a career-ending move, or at least make your personal life miserable for several years.

Site Supporter
    I agree the video is not a flattering display of hunting but once you remove the identity of WL and watch it in the context of watching an anonymous old rich guy on a bucket list hunt I bet this incident is very common. I have dreamed of hunting Africa since I was a child. Alas I don’t think it is ever going to happen. I should have gone in the 90’s when I was young. I was very lucky growing up. My father was friends with a taxidermist that was a part time hunt broker. We visited his shop often. A few times a year he would host a hunting guide at his house for a sales pitch. I went to a memorable night to hear about hunting in Zimbabwe. The PH was a native of
    Zimbabwe. After he was done with his pitch and spoke to all the guys with the money to actually go our host mentioned to the PH that I was just home from active duty army infantry hitch. The PH said he had been a Selous Scout in the Rhodesian War. Lots of stories followed. I wondered what happened to that guy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I agree the video is not a flattering display of hunting but once you remove the identity of WL and watch it in the context of watching an anonymous old rich guy on a bucket list hunt I bet this incident is very common. I have dreamed of hunting Africa since I was a child. Alas I don’t think it is ever going to happen. I should have gone in the 90’s when I was young. I was very lucky growing up. My father was friends with a taxidermist that was a part time hunt broker. We visited his shop often. A few times a year he would host a hunting guide at his house for a sales pitch. I went to a memorable night to hear about hunting in Zimbabwe. The PH was a native of
    Zimbabwe. After he was done with his pitch and spoke to all the guys with the money to actually go our host mentioned to the PH that I was just home from active duty army infantry hitch. The PH said he had been a Selous Scout in the Rhodesian War.
    Good point about 'rich old guy' scenario.

But WLP isn't just some B-list public figure or celebrity, he's the face and leader of what's ostensibly the largest organization on the planet dedicated to the right to keep and bear arms.

Yet as the face of this organization, his weapon handling and performance under stress was astonishingly poor, akin to what I'd expect from a freaked-out guy who'd never held or fired a rifle before.

If we can't get rid of that oxygen-wasting stuffed $50,000 suit, can someone at least take him to a NRA instructor to learn how to fucking handle a gun?

Watching him fumble with the rifle was especially painful.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    My take was not a rich guy that never handled a rifle before but a rich guy that never hunted dangerous game before. How many guys in the USA can shoot a .375 H&H like they can shot a .308? Talk to hunting guides in the US. Out of shape rich guys that can’t shoot are common. My biggest take away from the video was that was a really nice Blaser rifle that I wish was mine. Remember that much of the hunting in Africa happens on farms and ranches. Not all species are common or available on a PH’s concession. Lion and leopard are often gone from farming areas. Plains game is common and is not considered extremely dangerous in most circumstances. Crowd them or wound them is another story

Site Supporter
    This makes me imagine what the original safaris were light. 30 days plus, on foot, hunting whatever spoor the tracker found that looked promising.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 04-28-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He’d have been fitted for a $30,000 suit like a champ, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Every video I've seen of him handling a rifle has looked like he really wasn't quite sure what to do with it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My take was not a rich guy that never handled a rifle before but a rich guy that never hunted dangerous game before. How many guys in the USA can shoot a .375 H&H like they can shot a .308? Talk to hunting guides in the US. Out of shape rich guys that can’t shoot are common. My biggest take away from the video was that was a really nice Blaser rifle that I wish was mine. Remember that much of the hunting in Africa happens on farms and ranches. Not all species are common or available on a PH’s concession. Lion and leopard are often gone from farming areas. Plains game is common and is not considered extremely dangerous in most circumstances. Crowd them or wound them is another story
    I’d damn sure familiarize myself with that rifle inside and out before hunting elephant.
    #RESIST

User Tag List