Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great White Hunter

Site Supporter
    What a sad video. How does a guy like that end up in charge of anything firearms-related?

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    What a sad video. How does a guy like that end up in charge of anything firearms-related?
    Sadly, people with absolutely no knowledge of the business they're in all too often tend to wind up as heads of companies and other large organizations- or governments.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I've only hunted in Africa twice, but I've noticed nothing goes to waste. Everything is eaten. One story: I took a hippo and used some of its meat as bait to get a crocodile. We cut a chunk of it an chained it to a spike by the river. I guess the crocs were on break because we saw no activity. We decided to break for lunch and my PH (professional hunter) went towards the spike to get the bait. I asked why and he said if we left it there, the locals would come and take it off the spike to eat themselves. No kidding! That hippo was delicious and probably the best meat I tasted on that hunt. I cannot afford to hunt an ele but I suspect it would feed the local community for weeks.
    Wow that’s neat! Colombia has a growing herd of feral hippos that Pablo Escobar bought as novelty pets or something
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This was so, so horrific and we paid for it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Several things struck me about this from a hunting perspective:
    • Mr. and Mrs. WLP don't know much about African game and their guides didn't teach them much before they went out. A bit of explanation at the lodge the night before would have eliminated the whispered conversations with a herd of elephants a stone's throw away.
    • The senior guide spoke to WLP like he was a child, and one of the other guides took Mrs. WLP's rifle out of her hands immediately after she fired her second shot. I think the guides had realized that these two were a hazard to everyone around them. The word was probably, "Let them kill stuff but disarm them immediately afterward so they don't shoot anyone."
    • WLP crumbled under stress. Marksmanship aside, he had no idea how to handle his rifle. With a wounded elephant just feet away, he had to be reminded to run the bolt after firing, and he fumbled at everything he did. His wife did a better job but was still pretty weak.
    • Everything said to WLP after the elephant died was a lie--the congratulations, inflating the deed, the prowess involved--it was all to soothe his ego.
    • The guides looked deeply relaxed once the shooting stopped. The senior guide unloaded his double rifle and put the cartridges in his pocket as soon as the second elephant was done, almost as if he knew there was no other risk from any other animal. I'm not sure, but I'd bet a round of drinks that WLP was on a canned hunt.

There's also the fact that this hunt probably cost rank-and-file NRA members something like $200k, but that's another thread.

Okie John
    I'll go with canned hunt and PH provided rifles for $200K, Alex.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I've only hunted in Africa twice, but I've noticed nothing goes to waste. Everything is eaten. One story: I took a hippo and used some of its meat as bait to get a crocodile. We cut a chunk of it an chained it to a spike by the river. I guess the crocs were on break because we saw no activity. We decided to break for lunch and my PH (professional hunter) went towards the spike to get the bait. I asked why and he said if we left it there, the locals would come and take it off the spike to eat themselves. No kidding! That hippo was delicious and probably the best meat I tasted on that hunt. I cannot afford to hunt an ele but I suspect it would feed the local community for weeks.

Hippo is bloody tasty

And yeah whatever you shoot will get eaten, in its entirety, a lot of people get a big chunk of their protein from these hunts.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

We need LTC Allen West to replace WLP so badly.
    #RESIST

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We need practically anyone who isn't a corrupt walking-talking blunder to replace WLP so badly.
    FIFY
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Saw the story in my news feed from https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...-elephant-hunt

Just what the RKBA needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Wow that’s neat! Colombia has a growing herd of feral hippos that Pablo Escobar bought as novelty pets or something
    Yes he had a private herd of them. They were abandoned when Escobar was hunted down, and turns out they love it there.
    Evidently they are becoming a major nuisance and have expanded into major rivers there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56011594

User Tag List