Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My pistol-mounted RDS thoughts...is there something new I'm missing?

1) I had really good luck with the upgraded DP Pro units until April, when a new board regular and 6 moa failed.

2) last night, I was experimenting with a 508T in auto mode with just the circle reticle and a 1,000 lumen Surefire, and the reticle was always usable. What conditions should I test the 508T in auto with a light in?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) I had really good luck with the upgraded DP Pro units until April, when a new board regular and 6 moa failed.

2) last night, I was experimenting with a 508T in auto mode with just the circle reticle and a 1,000 lumen Surefire, and the reticle was always usable. What conditions should I test the 508T in auto with a light in?
    With the new board DPP, what does the failure mode look like and what kind of round count did it die at? I assume the contact won't migrate anymore like the old ones but is there anything that one could notice before the optic dies?

We’ve had good experiences with the new DeltaPoint Pros in terms of function, but several have come loose after being mounted well and to the specified torque. I’ve heard that some of the screws were too soft but no confirmation on that.

When we did the formal low-light testing we did the following:

Ambient light on the highest five settings on five different optics from 30 min prior to sunset to 30 min after sunset - recorded every 15 min.

300, 500, and 1,00 Lumen lights at five yards on highest three settings of several (can’t remember if three or five) optics.

Different color shirts on targets from 3-50 yards with 1,000 lumen light on setting three steps down ( and possibly other settings but I’d have to look to recollect) on a Holosun 509T (dot only).

Patrol Car emergency lights and any effect at various distances.

Intense red-only light at close distance.

All optics were easily usable with a WML at settings of three or less down from full brightness. Some worked well even lower. Since we can’t dim daylight we should have optics set to be acceptable in bright daylight and illuminated low light, and usable in darkness (which precludes good threat ID but in that rare event it’s necessary...).

Of course, all this was with manual adjustment. We’ve had reports that red lights will in certain circumstances wash out an auto adjust, and while most seem to feel auto adjust works well in ambient conditions it’s almost universal that they have issues with illuminated (WML or hand-held light) light conditions. I’ll have to look into that more. My first RMR was auto-adjust and I liked it but I was young in all this and I’m currently a big fan of manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    With the new board DPP, what does the failure mode look like and what kind of round count did it die at? I assume the contact won't migrate anymore like the old ones but is there anything that one could notice before the optic dies?
    I don’t believe it was the circuit board moving — seemed like the motion sensor. When it happened, I just removed them, as it didn’t seem worth trouble shooting further, as they aren’t my first choice for gaming or carry any more.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    We’ve had good experiences with the new DeltaPoint Pros in terms of function, but several have come loose after being mounted well and to the specified torque. I’ve heard that some of the screws were too soft but no confirmation on that.

When we did the formal low-light testing we did the following:

Ambient light on the highest five settings on five different optics from 30 min prior to sunset to 30 min after sunset - recorded every 15 min.

300, 500, and 1,00 Lumen lights at five yards on highest three settings of several (can’t remember if three or five) optics.

Different color shirts on targets from 3-50 yards with 1,000 lumen light on setting three steps down ( and possibly other settings but I’d have to look to recollect) on a Holosun 509T (dot only).

Patrol Car emergency lights and any effect at various distances.

Intense red-only light at close distance.

All optics were easily usable with a WML at settings of three or less down from full brightness. Some worked well even lower. Since we can’t dim daylight we should have optics set to be acceptable in bright daylight and illuminated low light, and usable in darkness (which precludes good threat ID but in that rare event it’s necessary...).

Of course, all this was with manual adjustment. We’ve had reports that red lights will in certain circumstances wash out an auto adjust, and while most seem to feel auto adjust works well in ambient conditions it’s almost universal that they have issues with illuminated (WML or hand-held light) light conditions. I’ll have to look into that more. My first RMR was auto-adjust and I liked it but I was young in all this and I’m currently a big fan of manual.
    I just went and took a 2.0 Compact with a 508T an SF X00, and experimented in a variety of lighting conditions with the circle only reticle in auto. It works in a range of light without the light. It works with a dark or medium background with the X300. With a white wall background, you can make out the circle, but it is faint. In those conditions, the backup iron sights jump right out. With just a single dot, it is extremely hard to see it with a white background and X300 illumination.

Based on this, the auto setting is viable, but especially if you plan to use a WML, I think manual on the 508T is the safest bet with a circle, and near mandatory with a single dot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just went and took a 2.0 Compact with a 508T an SF X00, and experimented in a variety of lighting conditions with the circle only reticle in auto. It works in a range of light without the light. It works with a dark or medium background with the X300. With a white wall background, you can make out the circle, but it is faint. In those conditions, the backup iron sights jump right out. With just a single dot, it is extremely hard to see it with a white background and X300 illumination.

Based on this, the auto setting is viable, but especially if you plan to use a WML, I think manual on the 508T is the safest bet with a circle, and near mandatory with a single dot.
    Totally agree. I haven’t played much with the circle, as I’d prefer a smaller one (I really want to try the Holosun 407CO!), but I think the concept certainly has value.

User Tag List