Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My pistol-mounted RDS thoughts...is there something new I'm missing?

Can't cross thread a DPP cap. Really hoping these new ones work out long-term durability wise.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Why is running the ACRO at a higher brightness setting and just replacing batteries more frequently such a big deal? If you buy a bulk pack, the batteries end up being like a dollar each. What’s $12/year to have the peace of mind that your MRDS will always be at the brightness you want it to be at?
    Sorry to be such a newb, but I’m taking from this that the ACRO P1 reported 15,000 hrs of battery life, as per their web site is bolshevik?
    On the required higher brightness settings?

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Sorry to be such a newb, but I’m taking from this that the ACRO P1 reported 15,000 hrs of battery life, as per their web site is bolshevik?
    On the required higher brightness settings?
    Most users are finding MUCH lower battery life - in terms of weeks, not months or years.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Most users are finding MUCH lower battery life - in terms of weeks, not months or years.
    Oh man, Total Bolshevik! Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post
    Can't cross thread a DPP cap. Really hoping these new ones work out long-term durability wise.
    Ease of changing a battery is the single best feature of the DP Pro.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Personally, I found the effect on accuracy very pronounced past effectively contact distance.
    Word. If I was only seeing improvement in my shooting past 25 yards I'm not sure I'd even mess with a dot.

I'm better from bad breath distance and everywhere in between with a dot so I just live with the little nuances of keeping and maintaining an RMR on a carry gun.

For example. The auto adjust after 16 hours. Every time I go potty in public, which is more frequent than 16 hours, I hit the plus button and then the minus to reset the 16 hour clock.

As far as brightness goes, I keep it at a setting that allows it to be visible during the day and not washout when used with a WML or handheld. I haven't had either of my RMRs kill a battery in a year with this practice, so I continue to change batteries yearly.

To the issue of having to rezero after remounting the optic after a battery change because ammo is expensive etc. It's just the cost of maintaining equipment as far as I'm concerned. If it takes 20 rounds at today's prices, that's what it takes. The better the mill job, the closer to zero it will be when remounted. My carry gun was milled by Battle Werx. The pocket is very tight to the optic, and they use the Zev style threaded posts. The RMR has to be nearly perfectly level when dropping it into the pocket or it won't go. It only took a few clicks on the windage and a couple 5 round groups to get it rezeroed and confirmed.

As far as stripped screws and lost parts, buy quality tools, have a reasonable work area, and take your time. Don't be hogging down on the torx driver because you're afraid to put heat to the screws and loosen up the thread locker. Put some heat on it, the optic will be fine. Use new screws every time and get a good torque wrench and pay attention torque specs.

The holster-able/briefcase-able PDW factor was what sold me on a red-dotted pistol. (I am not sold on the idea of toting an AR-ish “pistol” inside a huge sling bag.) I bought a milled G45 slide, with an ACRO P-1, and dabbled with it enough to decide to add a second ACRO P-1, which awaits its matchmaking with a weapon, after I learned that the mount I wanted to use on a Ruger Security Six was not rated for the weight of an ACRO.

The panic-demic stopped our range visits, interrupting all T&E indefinitely, though there is now light at the end of that tunnel.

Short battery life is what it is.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Ease of changing a battery is the single best feature of the DP Pro.
    Bit of a tangent but the new 6 MOA dot option seems to check all my boxes so I'm thinking about picking one up.

1. Window bigger than a RMR
    2. No removal from slide or mounting plate to change batteries
    3. No low sun angle double dot (I think?)
    4. Reasonable size dot for a pistol (say, 5MOA to 8MOA)
    5. Has actual adjustment clicks, not just screws.

I'm not really concerned with optic height or BUIS height. Hopefully the new battery contact attachment method holds up. I know you've shot them pretty extensively, are there any downsides I'm not considering here?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've been getting at least 4 months. CR1225s are cheap, so I just change every 3 months. If I did something where I used it on setting 9-10 a bunch, I'd probably just proactively change the battery.

Battery changes are super simple, so I don't find it much of a hassle.

Cleaning gunk out of an open emitter optic is more of a pain than changing the battery on an ACRO.

Optic technology isn’t new, but it certainly isn’t “mature”, and so we will need to look at the options and prioritize our needs based on our dedication, motivation, environment, skill, and perceived job/threat/mission.

Each optic out there has advantages and disadvantages. There is no “best” optic. In my opinion, those who haven’t embraced it are simply delaying the inevitable. I get it. It’s a paradigm shift and we all fear change. It requires a learning curve and some dedication, so people “try” it, don’ t perform as well as something they’ve been working on for years (iron sights), and give up after a short period of time. All learning comes with a period of diminished performance. Getting past that is what makes us better, and the dot makes us better.

Managing the implementation of an optic program at a large law enforcement agency has given me a good perspective on what road bumps can occur, but we’re still learning all the time, so road bumps will still happen, including ones we don’t anticipate. I still think it is the way.

As for the questions posed by the OP, brightness is not consistent across optic platforms so settings and management will vary. Optics set on full brightness with no “shake-awake” type function won’t last as long. Optics with shake-awake will last longer, but it creates a functional complication and I’ve seen the shake awake fail. The ACRO has a short battery life compared to other optics. That makes total sense. It uses a battery with a 55mAh capacity compared to a 2032 with 200-240mAh. Coupled with that is that the RMR uses optical coatings to enhance dot brightness at lower battery power levels and comparing it to the ACRO is comparing apples and oranges. You can have an optic with a serious blue tint and the necessity to remove it to replace the battery (I’m more and more not really excited about this) or an optic with a complicated functional system subject to failure (shake-awake) or an optic with shorter battery life.

I have all of the above and multiple examples of most. During our testing of the SRO I left the optic on lock-in mode at full power. The battery lasted 21 days. I bet it would last much longer with a Duracell but it’s something to keep in mind with all the shit-talking about the ACRO.

As for the RMR’s 16hr timeout to auto adjust, I agree it’s a frustration and I wish it could be locked out, but at the same time, it’s probably contributing to the longer life of the battery. I’m waiting for an RMR with an SRO top-load battery and the SRO’s ability to lock-in the brightness setting. Until then, the three RMRs I have will be the only RMRs I have. That said, my carry gun has an RMR (RM09) and whenever I go to carry it I go to full brightness and then down two steps to my preferred setting. I haven’t had an issue and I carry/shoot/practice at home a lot. I know others who have been “surprised” but the auto adjust because they were unaware the optic reverted to that. That’s not so cool but knowledge is half the battle or something like that.

Use of WML in low light with an optic is simple in manual adjust mode. In auto-adjust it’s not so cool, but worst case, setting the optic prior to bed time or darkness can get past this. Worst case, set an alarm. The cool thing with an RMR is that it can be adjusted over the clothes.

My biggest issue with the RMR is the bottom-load battery. It’s frustrating to have to take it off, replace the battery, re-mount, wait 24hrs for the loctite to cure, and confirm or re-zero. What’s worse is that every time an optic is “mounted”, there’s a potential for failure. The longer the optic is successfully secure, the more likely it will remain secure. Being able to change the battery without removing the optic has become a big deal to me and that’s why I’ve become a big fan of those optics. Add some testing for inclement weather and environmental conditions and the enclosed emitter is another big plus. That’s why I’m becoming more and more a fan of the ACRO and 509T.

User Tag List