Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My pistol-mounted RDS thoughts...is there something new I'm missing?

My pistol-mounted RDS thoughts...is there something new I'm missing?

I've messed with an ACRO (300 rds) and a Gen 2 RM06 (3,000 rds) on my G19.5 MOS. Per this thread, I went back to Ameriglo bold-type tritium irons in November (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....like-it-better).

I've not been doing much with the gun other than carrying it. I have a class coming up in about a week and so I shot about 100rds yesterday and another 100 today confirming sights and POI 0-25yds. Everything is just like I hoped it would be, so we're good there.

I have very good vision and the main advantage I saw to the dot was the ability to hit at distance (50yds +) compared to irons. Not that it's my everyday, but it sometimes gave me great peace of mind to know that I effectively had a PDW concealed on my person at all times. Going back to irons, I have to work much harder past 25yds to achieve good hits, so I occasionally entertain the idea of an RDS again.

Here are my big hangups:
    1. Brightness. Even if you adjust the RMR before holstering, it eventually "forgets" where you set it to and goes back to auto-leveling. Furthermore, It takes a second to auto-level. In practice, I found multiple times when I would present the pistol I'd been carrying all day when undressing at the end of the day or around the house and the dot would not be visible.
    2. Use in low light with WML. See above, but exacerbated by being washed out by the WML.
    3. Battery Life/re-confirming zero after changing batteries

Is there good tech on the market yet to overcome these issues or are we still waiting? I suppose in some ways the ACRO could overcome #1 and #3 if I just ran it on max brightness, but then I'd be changing batteries every month.

I can see where some of these issues might be different for LEO's who in some ways can plan their need for the gun better than I can, check before going into a house, etc. For me as a concealed civilian, the gun has to stay concealed until I need it and when I need it, I need it to be ready 100% of the time. To me, the above issues make it not ready 100% of the time.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I think those are all RMR specific problems. AFAIK you can lock in a brightness setting with a SRO or a DPP and neither requires you to remove the optic to change batteries. SRO gets very good battery life, DPP maybe not so much but I'm not opposed to changing batteries frequently. I'm not familiar with the Holosun optics.

Edit: this is a tangent but I think the RMR is really overrated. Honestly I think I'd rather spring for a 6moa DPP. But I'm not very tactical so I don't beat the shit out of my optics.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 04-27-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Holosun sounds like your solution IMO. I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of mine so I can do a very direct comparison against my RMR.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Personally, I found the effect on accuracy very pronounced past effectively contact distance.

I don't think there are any truly perfect options on the market, but by feature set, I think GJM is probably right that Holosun is your best bet.

Holosun for sure

If you'd told me 3-4 years ago I'd be recommending a Holosun over a Trijicon RMR I'd have thought you were high but let me be the 3rd or 4th person to chime in here and say the Holosun will address most of your oncerns.

With all that said concerning your point #3 is kind of overblown. RMR battery life is still really good; it's rated at something lke 3-4 years so if you premptively change it once a year you will be perfectly ok and zeroing your gun once a year is not too much to ask.

I don’t have an RDS, but looking into it.

I was reading that the way to do it is to turn the RMR auto brightness level off, and just run one brightness setting constantly on, with a yearly battery change.
    Is this not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    I don’t have an RDS, but looking into it.

I was reading that the way to do it is to turn the RMR auto brightness level off, and just run one brightness setting constantly on, with a yearly battery change.
    Is this not possible?
    We wish. It switches back to auto brightness mode after 16.5 hours. Theoretically if you bumped it up or down and back once per day you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    If you'd told me 3-4 years ago I'd be recommending a Holosun over a Trijicon RMR I'd have thought you were high but let me be the 3rd or 4th person to chime in here and say the Holosun will address most of your oncerns.

With all that said concerning your point #3 is kind of overblown. RMR battery life is still really good; it's rated at something lke 3-4 years so if you premptively change it once a year you will be perfectly ok and zeroing your gun once a year is not too much to ask.
    Agreed. “Adam just buy the best, get what you really want...” *proceeds to stare at RMR shaming it’s lack of evolution and features over time*

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Agreed. “Adam just buy the best, get what you really want...” *proceeds to stare at RMR shaming it’s lack of evolution and features over time*
    Optics are like televisions and cell phones. The “best” will be soon obsolete and “buy once, cry once” doesn’t apply. You just have to figure that they’re semi-disposable.

It’s another reason why an interchangeable optics plate can be a good idea if you’re not sure if VHS or Betamax will be the dominant platform in the future...

I’m just happy Holosun used the RMR footprint or else I’d be really bumming.

I have that opinion about Acros as well versus the closed emitter Holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Optics are like televisions and cell phones. The “best” will be soon obsolete and “buy once, cry once” doesn’t apply. You just have to figure that they’re semi-disposable.

It’s another reason why an interchangeable optics plate can be a good idea if you’re not sure if VHS or Betamax will be the dominant platform in the future...

I’m just happy Holosun used the RMR footprint or else I’d be really bumming.

I have that opinion about Acros as well versus the closed emitter Holosun.
    Agree 100%. The 507c with ACSS reticle is an interesting concept that I want to explore and I’m afraid that technology is getting passed by something else while I wait for my backorder. 😀

User Tag List