Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former French Generals Sign Threatening Letter to Government

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    This is where they got the inspiration for that song:

I read the letter in French, and I think "threatening" is a mischaracterization. It was more like, "If y'all don't pull your heads out, this is what's gonna happen, and the resulting thousands of deaths will be your responsibility."

Of the 26 general officers who signed this, one is retired, the other 25 are "2S", or 2ème Section, which roughly corresponds to our IRR. The rest of the signatories are ranks below general officer, going from full bird down to PFC. Their status (active, reserve, retired, other) isn't indicated. The officer who wrote/edited the letter is a (former) Captain.

It took some gumption to sign one's name to this letter. Repercussions could vary from a hairy eyeball from your commander to non-selection for promotion to being invited to leave the Army.
    I was aware of the Piaf version. She has fans here at the Lutherie Arms. I looked more closely at the notes for the video of the Legionnaires singing; those were the actual coup participants, singing in prison.

I read the translation included in my first link above; it is better and more natural sounding than the one included in the original post. I can see why you'd say it's predictive rather than a warning, except for the part here

"However, if nothing is done, heedlessness will continue to spread its poison throughout society, inexorably. In the end, there will be an explosion, and our comrades in active military service will be forced to step in and undertake the perilous mission of protecting our civilizational values and the lives of our fellow citizens."

I understand that several of the serving officers who signed the letter are to be cashiered.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I've been following this story elsewhere, and although I haven't read the letter in it's native French, I also thought it was not "threatening", but more "heads up, our society will be an epic shit show if we don't correct course."

User Tag List