Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making revolver major in USPSA

You only need a 158 @ 1050 for major. That should be easy in a 6" gun with .38s.

And mild

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    99% of stages are going to be set up with 8 rounds per “view”, so the standing reloads with a six shooter will add so much time you can’t make it up with a few extra points. No one in a Level 2 or 3 match shoots major. If you want to have fun, go have fun.
    Agree, the 8 shot cylinder and the 8 shot array have obsoleted the sixshooter even at Major.
    But it is a great way to develop your double action shooting and have fun. Not to mention lording it over any of the auto shooters you beat.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I know nothing about USPSA but a claim I saw on a video is "how fast you can shoot accurately" Looks like it's not how fast you can shoot but how many times you can shoot accurately. Why no 6 shot revolver class?

I'm asking these questions because I might get into USPCA and 6 shot revolvers are definitely what I carry most of the time. I'm not going to carry a 625 although I have one that's well used. Maybe someone can clue me in here.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    The revolver division is pretty small to start with at least in my area, so if USPSA had 2 revolver divisions it would make those 2 divisions even smaller is my guess. Heck, I would like to see both single stack (1911s) and revolver allow red dots but that would segment the 2 smallest divisions so I don't expect that will happen. I suppose that someone could compete in the open division with red dots.

If a national 10 round mag cap happened, the revolver and single stack would maybe get more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I thought that major scoring would help offset having only 6 rounds.
    Not sure. I just went from CO to 8 round SS for a couple of matches and thought that Major was going to offset capacity somewhat. The reality was that without any room for a makeup shots in the mag I had to address most targets, maybe except for hosers, with the same degree of care as if I was shooting Minor.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The revolver division is pretty small to start with at least in my area, so if USPSA had 2 revolver divisions it would make those 2 divisions even smaller is my guess.
    It's always been a small division, even in IDPA which is like the only place a 6-shot gun makes any sense.

IDPA actually did the two-division thing for a long time. After the green book and up until sometime in the mid 2010s. One for speedloader guns (SSR) and one for moonclips (ESR). Participation was low enough that they collapsed the two into a single division. There just aren't enough revolver shooters to support more than a token division and the occasional novelty match.

We mustered eight whole people in SSR once, out of a 30-something total indoor level 1 match. Average number of people in both SSR and ESR was 1 or 2. And that's mostly because half the MDs were shooting either SSR or ESR at least part time.

The only way I can see USPSA holding on to REV and SSTK is as heritage divisions. They're historically important to the game, even if all anyone does nowadays is shoot CO or LIM or whatever.

Site Supporter
    I have been thinking about trying out a revolver in USPSA I currently competing in Carry Optics.
    I don't have an 8 shot revolver and with prices and availability as it is I don't think I will anytime soon.

If I could find an S&W 625 I would go that route, but again availability and prices. So I'm thinking 180 grain .357 at ~950 FPS would get me in major PF with my 6 inch Ruger Gp-100. I have read a few posts where people have loaded these in a .38 special case but keeping the same OAL as they would with a .357 case.

I have a lot of CFE pistol and it looks like I can get the FPS I'm looking for with a medium load.
    Just wondering if anybody has experience with this.
    CFE Pistol should work. I got some to try out last year and ended up using it to load my last thousand-round box of .40
    180-grain RNLs; it matched the velocity of 180-grain HST at .1 grains less than the starting load. I’ve got about 12 lbs of BE-86 and they’re very close in burning rate, I’ll be using some of it to load .357 Mag 158-grain coated LSWCs and expect to have no problem making 1100 fps from my 4” guns.

I’d go with 158-grain coated RNLs for ease of speedloading. Roll crimp them into the crimp groove.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    It's always been a small division, even in IDPA which is like the only place a 6-shot gun makes any sense.

IDPA actually did the two-division thing for a long time. After the green book and up until sometime in the mid 2010s. One for speedloader guns (SSR) and one for moonclips (ESR). Participation was low enough that they collapsed the two into a single division. There just aren't enough revolver shooters to support more than a token division and the occasional novelty match.

We mustered eight whole people in SSR once, out of a 30-something total indoor level 1 match. Average number of people in both SSR and ESR was 1 or 2. And that's mostly because half the MDs were shooting either SSR or ESR at least part time.

The only way I can see USPSA holding on to REV and SSTK is as heritage divisions. They're historically important to the game, even if all anyone does nowadays is shoot CO or LIM or whatever.
    I shot IDPA back in 2015-2017 at our local club and seemed to have inspired a couple of people to take up revolver. When I started up again last year (pre-Covid), I was lone-wolf.

Back in the day I normally finished in the top half, but with PCC and CO? Eek.

For the life of me, IDK why IDPA doesn’t go 8-shot revolver. If I could shoot the same gun in IDPA and USPSA, I might get interested again.

I think both organizations would prefer revolver shooters just go away, historical significance be damned.

As it is, I’m thinking of dusting off the Contender and enjoying the boom & clang of IHMSA again.

User Tag List