Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making revolver major in USPSA

Site Supporter

Making revolver major in USPSA

I have been thinking about trying out a revolver in USPSA I currently competing in Carry Optics.
    I don't have an 8 shot revolver and with prices and availability as it is I don't think I will anytime soon.

If I could find an S&W 625 I would go that route, but again availability and prices. So I'm thinking 180 grain .357 at ~950 FPS would get me in major PF with my 6 inch Ruger Gp-100. I have read a few posts where people have loaded these in a .38 special case but keeping the same OAL as they would with a .357 case.

I have a lot of CFE pistol and it looks like I can get the FPS I'm looking for with a medium load.
    Just wondering if anybody has experience with this.

Not that exact combination, but I went a while shooting USPSA Revolver, back when major was power factor 175.

I did some experimenting with loads and while I could tell a difference in felt recoil between 160 and 200 gr bullets shot slowly and carefully, it was not perceptible in rapid fire. 125? No, thanks, harsh no matter how concentrated I was on the CoF.

I did some work with overloaded .38 Special, and with the loads I tried, it gave sticky extraction.
    You have a different powder to work with and a lower power factor to achieve, so it is likely feasible.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but a six shot revolver is not going to be competitive, even in revolver division so why not just go minor?

Save powder and bullets!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I know this doesn’t answer your question, but a six shot revolver is not going to be competitive, even in revolver division so why not just go minor?

Save powder and bullets!
    I thought that major scoring would help offset having only 6 rounds.

Save powder and bullets!
    Maybe.

The revolver division rules state that six rounds has to be fired before a reload, unless you're shooting Major PF. So you could gain the advantage of doing partial gun reloads, compared to minimum power factor. I would think it depends a lot on how stages flow where you compete regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    99% of stages are going to be set up with 8 rounds per “view”, so the standing reloads with a six shooter will add so much time you can’t make it up with a few extra points. No one in a Level 2 or 3 match shoots major. If you want to have fun, go have fun.

@03RN will be along to correct me as he shoots 6 shot major

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Maybe.

The revolver division rules state that six rounds has to be fired before a reload, unless you're shooting Major PF. So you could gain the advantage of doing partial gun reloads, compared to minimum power factor. I would think it depends a lot on how stages flow where you compete regularly.

No.

A maximum of six rounds can be fired before a reload if declared major, 8 if minor.

See appendix D6 Item 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    To be honest, I'd go 625, assuming it's a .45ACP moon clipped gun. You gain the advantage of major and moonclip reloads with big short bullets. Both make it easier to reload and quicker too.

There probably isn't much advantage of a 6-shot non-moonclipped gun running speed loaders. Unless you happen to be really good with Comp IIIs or have a stack of Jetloaders for a GP.

EDIT: Read the rules wrong. Thanks for the correction Norville.

Delete

I thought about Revolver major with my 625 and even practiced my standing reloads.

But then realized many classifiers are set up for 8 shot strings.

99% of stages are going to be set up with 8 rounds per “view”, so the standing reloads with a six shooter will add so much time you can’t make it up with a few extra points. No one in a Level 2 or 3 match shoots major. If you want to have fun, go have fun.

@03RN will be along to correct me as he shoots 6 shot major

No.

A maximum of six rounds can be fired before a reload if declared major, 8 if minor.

See appendix D6 Item 9.
    I dont really know. I just show up and shoot for fun.

Eta, my reloads with comp2s are 4-5 seconds. Figure in that you're doing 2-3 extras and its definitely a just for fun excercise. Especially since im doing it from concealment.
    Last edited by 03RN; 04-27-2021 at 03:24 PM.

User Tag List