Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Private firearm sales. What do you do?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    The last three sales I've done were all NFA, so my process is mainly "wait for the form 4 to arrive."
    Okay this is where I am befuddled. I have a double stamped PS90 (short barrel and silencer) I put together before I knew better ballistically. I never use it. I have no idea how to get rid of the thing (and the Mags and the ammo...).

Can you do this privately or does a dealer need to be involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Okay this is where I am befuddled. I have a double stamped PS90 (short barrel and silencer) I put together before I knew better ballistically. I never use it. I have no idea how to get rid of the thing (and the Mags and the ammo...).
    Can you do this privately or does a dealer need to be involved?
    If you sell it to another resident of your state, then per federal law it's just one form 4 straight from you to them. State law may be different if it bans private transfers. Such a state law might also treat NFA transfers differently than private title I transfers, because private NFA transfers really aren't "private" since they require ATF approval. It's a form 4 transfer tax each time it transfers when there's a non-SOT on either end of the transfer. If there is a law banning direct NFA transfers between non-dealers then it would be one form 4 transfer to a dealer and then another form 4 transfer to the actual purchaser.

You might also consider just removing the PS90's short barrel, putting on a 16" barrel and returning it to a title I rifle. It legally reverts to title I the instant you do that, but as a CYA move it's probably a good idea (though not legally required) that you send the ATF a letter letting them know that the rifle is no longer NFA. There's no specific form to use, just a send a letter to the NFA branch. Your silencer is probably capable of handling other cartridges besides 5.7x28. If, so keep it and use it on another rifle that's ballistically more to your liking.

Site Supporter
    If I know the person, and know them well, and the transaction is according to state law, no additional verification needed.

Otherwise I sell to an FFL at a loss if I need a quick sale.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If it's a meatspace transaction, cash only, no exceptions.

The only online sales of guns I've done is through here, with verified/paying members, so I take zelle or PP F&F.

Under no circumstances do I take personal checks, and I prefer to not use money orders or certified checks as those can and do get lost in the mail and I'd rather avoid any drama related to accused impropriety just because some boomer can't get with the times and would rather engage in risky practices instead.
    Given the issues with mail these days, even with overnight FedEx envelopes and such, that's a really damn good point.

I sell in two ways: to people I know very well (read that to mean for years), or through an FFL.

I have absolutely no heartache over giving a dealer his cut, in order to be as sure as I can be that a weapon isn't being sold to an unsavory hooligan.

Rights and responsibilities. In this case it's about the latter.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List