Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Private firearm sales. What do you do?

Private firearm sales. What do you do?

Curious how others do sales of firearms. Do you take any precautions to protect yourself?

If you were going to sell an AR in today’s political climate how would you do it?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Everything gets transferred through an FFL. Period.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Within the free state of Oklahoma...

Give me the cash, I give you the gun. Done.

(Subject to my standards of dealing with known buyers.)

Site Supporter
    I was taught to never sell a gun that works and to only sell one that did not with full disclosure. ( RIP Doug Smith, Maj. USA ret.)

I have sold guns that worked 3 x in my life.

1. to buy a house-FFL
    2. to buy an Omega Watch -FFL
    3. to send a kid to college -FFL on one gun, sold to guys I worked with-on the other 2 (they both lived in my state.)

Bottom line-I would use an FFL in these days and times, baking in any associated costs re fees, shipping etc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I've only sold to a neighbor on a face to face. In NC he only needed a permit from the local sheriff's office authorizing him to buy a pistol. I kept the original and gave him a copy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

AR-15 sale in NC--I need to see a current driver's license to verify it's a North Carolina resident over 18. I must not have any reason to believe that the person cannot possess firearms. Apart from that, it's a legal gun, and private sales are legal. Cash-gun-handshake-done. Still, I typically do any such deals through the local gun discussion forum, Carolina Firearms Forum, and I do prefer to do business with people who have history there.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Hammertime
    I have sold to people I know or friends of friends face to face cash.

I have sold through a contact at the local police to cops. Also face to face cash.

I have taken a lot of ads here and sold shipping and transferring via FFL.

As far as measures to protect yourself: if you feel
    the need that probably isn’t the right buyer.

I am now legally required to go through an ffl. Prior to that, I did not, but I did require the buyer to sign this bill of sale (https://images.app.goo.gl/h24heEETbtWqHwbx6), I photographed the firearm and logged all of the bill of sale information and I took a picture of the buyers driver's license. I informed them of these requirements in advance and if they didn't like it or gave me any trouble at the sale, no deal and I walked. I also would vet them to the extent I could (ie. Google/social media searches on any known names, etc).

I had a guy who was being squirrely about the bill of sale and googling his name revealed several news articles about domestic violence and drug sales related arrests under the correct name and city. His faceyspace also had pictures of drug paraphernalia and memes about killing cops. Needless to say that sale did not happen. I disagree with universal background checks on principal, but I was leaning towards requiring them going forward after that, just to help me sleep at night.

While I'm not usually much on selling, when I did, I went consignment through a local gun shop, and had no worries about protecting myself.

I have made gifts to friends and family.

For me, buying is another matter. I bought my first used gun as a private cash transaction in the parking lot of a Popeye's Fried Chicken.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

For people I know I don’t worry.

In IL there was a process of checking an unknown buyer’s eligibility which also provided a certificate the seller could keep demonstrating that the check was made. Anyone who tried to get me to bypass the system could bite my rosy bohunk ass.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List