Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Salt Lake City restaurant

RFI: Salt Lake City restaurant

Will be in Salt Lake City for one night in the next couple of weeks. Will be with wife and two daughters. Staying at the Grand American.

With one night, and wanting to stick close-ish to the hotel, what’s the one dinner spot we can’t miss?
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-26-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Will be in Salt Lake City for one night in the next couple of weeks. Will be with wife and two daughters.

With one night, and wanting to stick close-ish to the hotel, what’s the one dinner spot we can’t miss?
    This is no help at all but there use to be a really amazing Brazillian barbecue place in Salt Lake. It's been too long ago to remember the name. A couple of Mormon buddies took me there. Hopefully, someone will chime in with a name if it's still open
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

My hometown and current place of residence. Are you OK with anywhere in SLC or downtown only? If you know where you’re staying I can give closer recos

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    My hometown and current place of residence. Are you OK with anywhere in SLC or downtown only? If you know where you’re staying I can give closer recos
    Dang it, thought I included the hotel. Corrected the first post. Grand American. Prefer to stick within walk g distance of there, if possible. And not looking for anything too foreign in terms of food (no butts, no guts, haha)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Excellent choice on accommodations.

Closest top choices would all be on Market St.

Takashi - Japanese/Sushi (may not fit your criteria but it is the only place in UT to get top shelf sushi)
    Market Street Grill - steak, lobster, halibut, excellent clam chowder
    New Yorker - steak, lamb, lobster, etc. more formal and less casual than the 2 above

Slightly farther away but not too bad:

Cafe Molise - Italian, nice but not formal
    Vaulters - Italian, more formal

Farther away but worth it if you’re in the mood:

Red Igauna - Mexican, mole speciality
    Chile Tepin - less traditional Mexican, molcajete specialty

Breakfast:
    Squatters or Lake Effect

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    This is no help at all but there use to be a really amazing Brazillian barbecue place in Salt Lake. It's been too long ago to remember the name. A couple of Mormon buddies took me there. Hopefully, someone will chime in with a name if it's still open
    Rodizio, Tucanos or Braza. Definitely a Mormon favorite!

Red Igauna is my don’t miss when in Salt Lake.

I’m asking some Utah guys on a FB group.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Excellent choice on accommodations.

Closest top choices would all be on Market St.

Takashi - Japanese/Sushi (may not fit your criteria but it is the only place in UT to get top shelf sushi)
    Market Street Grill - steak, lobster, halibut, excellent clam chowder
    New Yorker - steak, lamb, lobster, etc. more formal and less casual than the 2 above

Slightly farther away but not too bad:

Cafe Molise - Italian, nice but not formal
    Vaulters - Italian, more formal

Farther away but worth it if you’re in the mood:

Red Igauna - Mexican, mole speciality
    Chile Tepin - less traditional Mexican, molcajete specialty

Breakfast:
    Squatters or Lake Effect
    Rodizio, Tucanos or Braza. Definitely a Mormon favorite!
    I'm familiar with some of these places, and I'd say that's a pretty good list. Walking west to Red Iguana from that area would have you traverse some rough neighborhoods, and I wouldn't suggest that. It's not far, but I'd drive, if possible.

Rodizio, Tucanos, and Braza are pretty similar places. Tucanos is probably easiest to get to walking downtown, but Rodizio at Trolley Square isn't that far away, if you take the train up 4th South to 700 East and then walk south to Trolley Square. I was recently at Rodizio, and it was good. Weekdays you might walk in, but weekends you'll want to make a reservation ahead of time.

You have to specify the day of a week. Several places you were recommended above are closed on Sundays. Price range could be helpful to know.

My currently most favorite places in SLC are HSL, SLC Eatery, Current, and Provisions but the latter is too far. I went to the former two over last two weekends with people from Chicago (a decent foodie town) and they were impressed. Takashi is the best sushi place but closed on Sundays. Valters Osteria has been rated #1 for a long time, but to do it right is expensive.

I would recommend looking at the online menus. A lot of places, especially farm to the table kind, run very short lists. I also recommend reservations. Many places run reduced capacities, I could not get a table in Current one week in advance. Freshies is somewhat unusual lobster fast food place, great for an expensive lobster lunch, no reservation needed.
    Last edited by YVK; 04-26-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List