Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Frame Grips Compatible with Speedloaders

J-Frame Grips Compatible with Speedloaders

I have a few COMP-1 speedloaders for my 642-1 that I really like however I need some grips that don't interfere with them. I ground down the factory grips to almost work but they aren't ideal. Then I got the CT LG-105 laser grips but they also interfere with the loaders. Just curious what other j-frame users are using for grips that work well with the COMP-1 loaders. Thanks in advance.

FYI - I'm not sold on the laser grips.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have a few COMP-1 speedloaders for my 642-1 that I really like however I need some grips that don't interfere with them. I ground down the factory grips to almost work but they aren't ideal. Then I got the CT LG-105 laser grips but they also interfere with the loaders. Just curious what other j-frame users are using for grips that work well with the COMP-1 loaders. Thanks in advance. FYI - I'm not sold on the laser grips.
    This is what I do with the rubber grips: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post267149
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    If you like the laser grips, my 405s work with a speedloader fine. I'd have thought the 105s would too.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    If you like the laser grips, my 405s work with a speedloader fine. I'd have thought the 105s would too.
    LG-405's also work fine for me with Comp-I's. I have a Houge overmolded rubber grip (Model# 60000 I think) on an older model 60-10 that works fine with the Comp-I's. Based on the cut outs, I suspect the smaller "Bantam" Houges would clear them just fine as well.

I have not been inclined to try other loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I can get the loader in there but the interference with the grips allows only 3 rounds to completely drop. I have to majorly fiddle around with it to get the other 2 to drop and remove the loader.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Maybe some tolerance stacking. I'd be tempted to trim the laser grips unless you are looking for a different shape or texture.

If I want guaranteed clearance for unimpeded ejection and speedloader use, Spegel boots or the Uncle Mike’s discontinued, licensed copies thereof.

My J-frames set up for holster carry have UM stocks on them. They have plenty of clearance for both Comp-I loaders and Jetloaders.

Pocket/ankle guns wear magna grips with a grip adapter for the smallest possible profile.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I took a belt sander to some Hogue nylon grips to create some real clearance. I swear, most of the people who design gun stuff do not use the stuff they design.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have a few COMP-1 speedloaders for my 642-1 that I really like however I need some grips that don't interfere with them. I ground down the factory grips to almost work but they aren't ideal. Then I got the CT LG-105 laser grips but they also interfere with the loaders. Just curious what other j-frame users are using for grips that work well with the COMP-1 loaders. Thanks in advance.

FYI - I'm not sold on the laser grips.
    I have 2 Precision Specialties Hideout Grips coming for my 642 and my 66. I'll let you know how they work with Comp 1's and Comp 2's. Should have them this Sat.

I'm getting tired of sanding and refinishing grips. You'd think Speedloaders were just invented yesterday, the way grips never work with them out of the box...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I have 2 Precision Specialties Hideout Grips coming for my 642 and my 66. I'll let you know how they work with Comp 1's and Comp 2's. Should have them this Sat.

I'm getting tired of sanding and refinishing grips. You'd think Speedloaders were just invented yesterday, the way grips never work with them out of the box...

Here's my findings on Comp 1 and Comp 2 Speedloaders.

Comp 1 with my 642 and 640 Pro.

Altamont Boot Grips- Must be altered.
    Hogue Boot Grips- Must be altered.
    Factory Rubber Grips- Must be altered.
    Pachmayer Professional Grips- Work unaltered.
    Precision Specialties Grips- Need a slight alteration.

Comp 2 with my 15-2 and 66-4.

Ahrends Concealed Carry Grips- Works unaltered.
    Ahrends Retro Combat Grips- Works unaltered.
    Pachmayer Professional Grips- Works unaltered.
    Precision Specialties Grips- Works unaltered.

With the Hideout Grip for my J Frames it will take a very slight contouring with a Dremel to relieve them, but not the massive work it takes with most grips. And you can stipple the Hideout grips quite easily, which I intend to do.

YMMV Hope this helps.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List