Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage gun leather for Colt Python

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I just picked up my python today and am in the same frame of mind. Leather seems appropriate.

However, I’d love to have a kydex option as well. As to the kydex option, if we had enough interest I wonder if JM Custom could do a run for us? My cursory google search isn’t hitting any strong options.
    I doubt it. Tony is an astute businessman, and the number of people who would put a Python in a kydex holster probably is in the single digits. It took him a while to get that K/L frame form, and there are a bunch more K frames out there and a bunch more folks willing to carry them in kydex.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I doubt it. Tony is an astute businessman, and the number of people who would put a Python in a kydex holster probably is in the single digits. It took him a while to get that K/L frame form, and there are a bunch more K frames out there and a bunch more folks willing to carry them in kydex.
    Will they fit in Lframe holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Of course you are right, wishful thinking on my part. I suppose it would have to be a passion for the Python, not good business sense that would get someone on board with this. Well...one can hope. Now, how about a leather, tanker style holster for a Python? That would be cool for a farm/ranch/back country set up.

Kirkpatrick makes holsters specific to the new Python.

https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/p...n-owb-holster/

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Kirkpatrick makes holsters specific to the new Python.

https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/p...n-owb-holster/

I found this night before last and has made to the top of the list. The full custom jobs topping the list are the HSR from Sparks or the HF3 from Tucker but haven't made my mind up up yet, still looking. Gotta have the perfect one for the barbeque you know...

I have done some digging and have found where some holsters have been made for the new 4.25 barrel using the 4" patterns and they are not fitting. Pictures are showing the barrel protruding through open ended holsters and reports of bottoming out before the gun is all the way in on closed end models. If the old stock hade open ends it wouldn't be a problem so I'm gonna pass on the vintage stuff for now. I would hate to cut the end out of one.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Probably not, if Kydex, or other thermal-molded plastic. Leather? Well, probably. One common Safariland 070 was made to fit the Python and GP100, but the 070 for the L-Frames was a different SKU. Notably, the 070 for the Python and GP100 was h-e-a-v-y, with what seemed like a ton of thermal-molded plastic in it, which is one reason I switched to K-Frame duty revolvers, about 1995; lighter weapon, but also a very noticeably lighter-weight 070 holster. I was really fighting against a pressure sore always trying to form, when totin’ the GP100, for a couple of years, on duty. (Remember, it is the total weight of that whole duty rig. I never had trouble wearing a GP100 in a concealment rig.)

Partially guessing, but all of that extra “engineering plastic” on the 070, for the Python and GP100, might have been less necessary, had Safariland made separate holster bodies for each, but, I reckon, it was cheaper to avoid making two separate molds, especially as there would be less return on investment to make a Python-specific mold.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-29-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I found this night before last and has made to the top of the list. The full custom jobs topping the list are the HSR from Sparks or the HF3 from Tucker but haven't made my mind up up yet, still looking. Gotta have the perfect one for the barbeque you know...

I have done some digging and have found where some holsters have been made for the new 4.25 barrel using the 4" patterns and they are not fitting. Pictures are showing the barrel protruding through open ended holsters and reports of bottoming out before the gun is all the way in on closed end models. If the old stock hade open ends it wouldn't be a problem so I'm gonna pass on the vintage stuff for now. I would hate to cut the end out of one.
    Those HSR's are sooo nice. But the HF3 will carry the gun higher if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Maybe... I have a S&W marked leather for a 6 inch L frame and the colt drops in ok. It is a little loose but I don't have a L frame to compare. I do have a kydex for the GP but only a 3 inch barrel. This seems to be a better match up. The cylinder and trigger guard seem to fit well enough I think I will try my hand at reshaping kydex tomorrow to remold where the barrel comes through. The colt fits my other 2 leather for the GPs also.

Ok so I did a thing and didn't wait until tomorrow.

It fits better than I thought. The barrel on the Colt is a little bit bigger in diameter and it is tight there but over all it fits in all of the right places.

The only place that is going to be a problem is the end of the under lug. Ruger rolls theirs back and the Colt is square with the end of the muzzle.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 04-29-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Call Ted Blocker and ask them. It's what I carried, along with Tex Shoemaker speedloader pouches, when I packed a revolver on duty, many decades ago.

User Tag List