Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage gun leather for Colt Python

Vintage gun leather for Colt Python

I'm looking for quality leather for my new model Python. All of the custom guys have months listed for lead times. I am not opposed to waiting or paying custom prices but trying to find a decent COTS and be frugal(so I can pay for a custom) at the same time is nigh impossible.

Vintage Gun Leather has several pieces that I am looking at as an alternative to custom and I have 2 questions;

Will the old model 4" holsters fit the new 4.25 Python or could be made to fit? Concerned about barrel length.

Is the price reasonable for old new stock? They are half to two thirds of what i am looking at from Sparks or Adams, my 2 front runners.

For example:

Alfonso's Brown Basketweave Suede Lined Holster for Colt Python / L Fr – vintagegunleather (vintagegunleathertoday.com)

Vintage Alfonsos Plain Brown Leather Smooth Lined Holster For Python / – vintagegunleather (vintagegunleathertoday.com)

Alfonso's G77 Plain Black Leather Lined Holster For Colt Python GP100 – vintagegunleather (vintagegunleathertoday.com)

As always, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, CD

Site Supporter
    I know of many who have purchased from Don Hume as a tide me over/proof of concept holster until the custom stuff came in.

The website seems to almost exclusively use pistols as the "model" for various holsters but the weapons search tab on the website seems to indicate a number of holsters for a Python.

I would pick up the phone and call somebody at Don Hume and see what they say.

https://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...ath=67_352_109
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I know of many who have purchased from Don Hume as a tide me over/proof of concept holster until the custom stuff came in.

The website seems to almost exclusively use pistols as the "model" for various holsters but the weapons search tab on the website seems to indicate a number of holsters for a Python.

I would pick up the phone and call somebody at Don Hume and see what they say.

https://www.donhume.com/index.php?ma...ath=67_352_109

Funny you recommended Don Hume, I just ordered a couple of speed loader pouches last week. I also have one of their pancake holsters for my 1911s. When they say high ride they mean it. It puts the grip into my ribs and kind of scared that would be too high for revolvers. I have holsters that will work with the Python, they are just long, built for 5 and 6 inch guns so I'm not really pressed into anything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I'm looking for quality leather for my new model Python. All of the custom guys have months listed for lead times. I am not opposed to waiting or paying custom prices but trying to find a decent COTS and be frugal(so I can pay for a custom) at the same time is nigh impossible.

Vintage Gun Leather has several pieces that I am looking at as an alternative to custom and I have 2 questions;

Will the old model 4" holsters fit the new 4.25 Python or could be made to fit? Concerned about barrel length.

Is the price reasonable for old new stock? They are half to two thirds of what i am looking at from Sparks or Adams, my 2 front runners.

For example:

Alfonso's Brown Basketweave Suede Lined Holster for Colt Python / L Fr – vintagegunleather (vintagegunleathertoday.com)

Vintage Alfonsos Plain Brown Leather Smooth Lined Holster For Python / – vintagegunleather (vintagegunleathertoday.com)

Alfonso's G77 Plain Black Leather Lined Holster For Colt Python GP100 – vintagegunleather (vintagegunleathertoday.com)

As always, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, CD
    Damn... I had not know of Vintage Gun Leather before. That site is gonna cost me money!

For what it's worth these folks list holsters for the 4.25", post 2020 Python:

https://www.craftholsters.com/colt-p...-inch-holsters

No experience with them other than looking at holsters for a couple oddball in my safe. I've seen both good and bad reviews. My understanding is Eastern European and around a 4 to 8 week timeline with shipping from overseas.

COTS? Don Hume for me too, but I agree their high ride is no lie! I may have given myself a bloody nose and fat lip after a few practice draws.

Alex at American Classic Gunleather did a custom commission of vintage looking holster for me last year. He will get future business from me. His quoted six week delivery time was easily met and the cost struck me as quite reasonable.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057597304069 Or https://www.flickr.com/photos/987944...AdVt3M-iW0jPIY

I just picked up my python today and am in the same frame of mind. Leather seems appropriate.

However, I’d love to have a kydex option as well. As to the kydex option, if we had enough interest I wonder if JM Custom could do a run for us? My cursory google search isn’t hitting any strong options.

Check ebay for instock donhume. They have a store front there.

How about a safariland 567(iirc)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Damn... I had not know of Vintage Gun Leather before. That site is gonna cost me money!
    Same here - he has cartridge slides for .41! And probably the world’s biggest selection of P7 holsters.

Check ebay for instock donhume. They have a store front there.

How about a safariland 567(iirc)

User Tag List