Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Replacement Trigger

If you’re specifically looking for a single-stage trigger, I’ve had positive experiences with the nickel-teflon (or whatever elements make the finish look like NP3) from ALG, Sionics, and SOLGW.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I'm in the Geissele camp on my Sig M400.
    I like a flat trigger and have this one installed.
    https://geissele.com/super-dynamic-combat-trigger.html
    Works well for me on my Varmint and SBR uppers.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I put a LaRue MBT in anything with a magnified optic; ALG ACT in anything with a 1x red dot. Both my SBRs have red dots. FWIW.

*Warning: Inflamatory Post Following*

If you want a great trigger, drop $250 on the Geissele of your preference. Main choices are single-stage vs two-stage and then trigger face geometry.
    If you don't want to drop $250, buy an ALG.

All else is garbage and has issues long term, including the Geissele G2S.

Cartridge triggers rely on either upward pressure on the FCG pins (Timney) that will wear the lower receiver if you get them tight enough, and/or will just drop pins out once enough interference is worn out to allow movement; or external C-clips (McCormick) that fall off and again pins are lost and your gun rendered a club.

I've seen enough tolerance interference from folks like Spikes' NIB or Chrome whatever triggers that they created mystery malfunctions. Drop a GI trigger back in the gun, the problem dissapears.

The Geissele G2S relies on an outboard C-spring to retain the hammer pin rather than the traditional J-spring. I've never trusted that design and that was confirmed when a SF friend called me (fortunately at a stateside training event) telling me his hammer pin wouldn't stay in the gun after he'd had a strange malfunction. Turns out, the hammer pin walked a little, the spring dis-lodged from the pin, wedged under the hammer, and locked the gun up. In the process of clearing the gun and re-assembling (him not realizing what had happened) the spring was lost and now he had a weapon with a hammer pin that was no longer retained and continued to fall out. Different reason, but same ultimate result as the cartridge-type triggers.

Full disclosure: I have a Timney trigger in one of my AR's: it's a 15-22 for my kids.

If you have a game gun, do whatever you want. If it's lifesaving equipment, Geissele, ALG, or Mil-spec (Colt) FCG only.

**I have no experience with Larue triggers and will defer to those that do.**
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter

Thanks!

Thanks for the very helpful information. I have an ALG ACT on the way. I will put both the Sig OEM and the replacement ALG ACT on my trigger gauge and post the results.

I have a few G2S’s Left and I like them just fine. Never had the pin walk on any of them. In fact, if it’s installed correctly, it’s a pain to get the pin to budge.

That said, I was in the process of selling off some G2S’s and replacing them with SSP’s. Then supply dried up, sales became non existent and I figured I was just fine with the ones I have left.

But starting new the Single Stage Precision is a nice trigger, I prefer the flat faced version.

Another +1 for Geissele. I run SSA-E in most of my carbines.
    I think of Geissele as the "golden standard", especially since they are NSN'd.
    Larue MBT is also decent. However, the one I have has a rather wide shoe with pronounced angles that I am not a huge fan of.
    LMT trigger is decent, but on the slightly heavy side (came with MWS).

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful information. I have an ALG ACT on the way. I will put both the Sig OEM and the replacement ALG ACT on my trigger gauge and post the results.
    Where did you find an ALG ACT in stock? I'm seeing it as out of stock in quite a few places I looked recently.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Where did you find an ALG ACT in stock? I'm seeing it as out of stock in quite a few places I looked recently.
    Here: https://www.righttobear.com/ALG-Advn...rtb-05-199.htm. I ordered on Monday 04/26/2021 and it was delivered to Wyoming today 04/30/2021.

Site Supporter

Average of 5 trigger presses

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Sig factory trigger = 7 lbs. 5.5 oz.

ALG ACT = 4 lbs. 3.3 oz.

The ACT is both significantly lighter and smoother than the Sig Tread 400 factory trigger. Especially given the modest cost of the ACT, I am very pleased.

User Tag List