Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43x/48 heavier recoil spring?

Glock 43x/48 heavier recoil spring?

I bought a G48 a few months ago and finally got around to firing a box of 147gr Federal HST through it. I noticed the cycling had a sluggish feel to it when compared to ball ammo. This was especially noticeable when I would hold the trigger back and not reset it until the gun cycled. Whenever I did that, the slide would be a fraction of an inch out of battery and then fully return once I reset the trigger. I haven't had any malfunctions with this gun using the HSTs or with the 500 or so ball rounds I've fired, but this gives me a bit of hesitation to carry it.

In another thread many people felt the single stack Glocks are a little undersprung from the factory. I found a company Centennial Defense Systems that makes a 19 lb recoil spring for the G43/43x/48 (factory is 17 lb). Do you guys think a stronger aftermarket recoil spring could help with feeding reliability with duty ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    I bought a G48 a few months ago and finally got around to firing a box of 147gr Federal HST through it. I noticed the cycling had a sluggish feel to it when compared to ball ammo. This was especially noticeable when I would hold the trigger back and not reset it until the gun cycled. Whenever I did that, the slide would be a fraction of an inch out of battery and then fully return once I reset the trigger. I haven't had any malfunctions with this gun using the HSTs or with the 500 or so ball rounds I've fired, but this gives me a bit of hesitation to carry it.

In another thread many people felt the single stack Glocks are a little undersprung from the factory. I found a company Centennial Defense Systems that makes a 19 lb recoil spring for the G43/43x/48 (factory is 17 lb). Do you guys think a stronger aftermarket recoil spring could help with feeding reliability with duty ammo?
    How dirty / dry is your gun? Reducing slide, barrel hood and chamber friction can affect how much work the spring has to do.

Just something to check, but in another Glock 48 thread I seem to recall someone mentioning that they had a OOB situation, and discovered that the extractor depressor plunger and spring were not fully mated/seated. Removing the slide cover plate and reseating the extractor depressor plunger addressed that issue. I'll go have a search for the post, and add it if I can find it.

I have 775 rounds through my stock black G48 since I bought it last September, a mix of 115 AE ball and some carry ammo (<100 rounds) of Federal HST 147 or Speer GD 124+p. The only issue I've had was two failure to feed stoppages using Speer GD 115 on the last round of a magazine (I don't use GD 115 but was curious whether it ran, and shot a few mags of once-chambered carry ammo from our now-sold P365). Otherwise good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just something to check, but in another Glock 48 thread I seem to recall someone mentioning that they had a OOB situation, and discovered that the extractor depressor plunger and spring were not fully mated/seated. Removing the slide cover plate and reseating the extractor depressor plunger addressed that issue. I'll go have a search for the post, and add it if I can find it.

I have 775 rounds through my stock black G48 since I bought it last September, a mix of 115 AE ball and some carry ammo (<100 rounds) of Federal HST 147 or Speer GD 124+p. The only issue I've had was two failure to feed stoppages using Speer GD 115 on the last round of a magazine (I don't use GD 115 but was curious whether it ran, and shot a few mags of once-chambered carry ammo from our now-sold P365). Otherwise good to go.
    I was one of the ones who had that issue, and the fix.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I’ve made this observation in other threads. The 43X and 48 have weak recoil springs since they’re using the one based for the 43. It’s not actually that simple, but it’s the easiest explanation. At that time, no extra power spring was available. Because the striker spring opposes the recoil spring, I opted for a 5 lb striker spring and have not had any FTRB issues since. I just need to be on too of changing that spring far more frequently than the factory striker spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    I’ve made this observation in other threads. The 43X and 48 have weak recoil springs since they’re using the one based for the 43. It’s not actually that simple, but it’s the easiest explanation. At that time, no extra power spring was available. Because the striker spring opposes the recoil spring, I opted for a 5 lb striker spring and have not had any FTRB issues since. I just need to be on too of changing that spring far more frequently than the factory striker spring.

What's the weight on the factory striker spring?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I went ahead and ordered a 19lb recoil spring. I figured for $35 it was worth a try. I'll report back once I have a chance to put some rounds through it.

My gun's not too dirty, I last cleaned and oiled it probably 200 rounds ago. Everything also seems fine with the extractor plunger. Like I said I haven't actually had any malfunctions, but the sluggish cycling just has me a bit worried about long term reliability with my 147 gr HSTs. With the current ammo situation I'm not stocking up on another type of defensive ammo any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    What's the weight on the factory striker spring?
    5.5 lb. It is not unique to the slim series. I just bought a big pack of them and put them in all of my extended slide Glocks (48s and 34s). It didn’t change the trigger pull much in the 48. It made a decent difference in the 34.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a 19lb recoil spring. I figured for $35 it was worth a try. I'll report back once I have a chance to put some rounds through it.

My gun's not too dirty, I last cleaned and oiled it probably 200 rounds ago. Everything also seems fine with the extractor plunger. Like I said I haven't actually had any malfunctions, but the sluggish cycling just has me a bit worried about long term reliability with my 147 gr HSTs. With the current ammo situation I'm not stocking up on another type of defensive ammo any time soon.
    Interested to see how the 19lb will fare, please let us know.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

I worried about the spring after reading reports (some on here), so I went with the DPM recoil system using light spring (though I want to move up to medium and check it out as well). It's had no issues in a few hundred rounds of 124 American Eagle, 124 HST (my carry round), or the 115 +P Federal HP or 135 +P critical duty.
    The #19 spring sounds like a good idea if you shoot hot loads...my go to is just 124 AE FMJ and 124 HST...neither seem too hot for the gun, but I wanted to try the DPM RSA after having seen some reports from people using the MANTIS to look at recoil impulse info.

User Tag List