Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O’Hare overnight layover - checking firearms

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Let me talk to the guys that work at the airport for their take on this. I doubt you will have a problem but will check to make sure.
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Why would this not be covered by the FOPA?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Why would this not be covered by the FOPA?
    https://www.casemine.com/judgement/u...d7b049347698c3

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I was aware of shenanigans being played in NJ and other such places but thanks for the link. I still don't see how this is not a gross violation of the FOPA, but then again I'm a humble machine operator who is bound by the laws of physics and not some "lawyer type" who can use his/her slippery tongue to turn up into down.

So in the end we (The People of the Gun) traded the ability to purchase new automatic weapons for the "right" to not be arrested if our flights our cancelled and the anti's still ignore that part.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I’ve flown in and out of O’Hare with guns probably 16 times and have never had any issue.
    This is the only comment that matters on this issue, since Craig is the only person here (so far) who has actual real world experience with checking firearms in O'Hare. For important reference, the issues with jurisdictions not honoring FOPA are entirely restricted to the NYC Metro region, and then were largely linked to a specific official in the Port Authority with a specific agenda.

If someone can find me a case, any case, of someone being arrested at O'Hare and prevented from boarding their return flight home for the act of checking a firearm, I would very much enjoy reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I still don't see how this is not a gross violation of the FOPA, but then again I'm a humble machine operator who is bound by the laws of physics and not some "lawyer type" who can use his/her slippery tongue to turn up into down.
    I have absolutely no idea how that works either but the Supreme Court declined to hear the appeal and that was the last I heard about it. Somebody else might have more current information.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    This is the only comment that matters on this issue, since Craig is the only person here (so far) who has actual real world experience with checking firearms in O'Hare. For important reference, the issues with jurisdictions not honoring FOPA are entirely restricted to the NYC Metro region, and then were largely linked to a specific official in the Port Authority with a specific agenda.

If someone can find me a case, any case, of someone being arrested at O'Hare and prevented from boarding their return flight home for the act of checking a firearm, I would very much enjoy reading it.

Let me reiterate that despite being a retired police officer, I've never been asked for any kind of justification for possessing guns when checking in to O'Hare. That only happens in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

I should have made clear - I lived in suburban Chicago until just recently and have flown in and out of both ORD and MDW at least two dozen times with handguns as a non-LEO, dating back to the dark ages before the state had carry. If you follow the normal rules (empty gun, declared, proper container etc.) I’ve never had a problem. The worst was one AA check-in agent that said she needed to turn me over to another agent because she was afraid of guns, but even that was drama free - my impression was she had a past personal trauma / PTSD, not disapproval. I personally ignore magazine capacity limits because the state has preemption, but I’m not entirely sure if that fully extends to handgun magazines. (I don’t believe it does to long gun mags, but again - IANAL.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    What airline 4bucket. My buddy (former partner) says you will have no problem with the hotel or airline but will walk over to them and make sure.

Edited to add. My bud says to make sure you know that the pistol cannot be carried on your person or in your carry on. He says people do that all the time and DO end up getting themselves arrested. I'm sure you already know that but just want to make sure.

Edited to add again. Disregard the airline request. I went back and re-read your post. Got it. American
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 04-27-2021 at 09:38 AM.

I’m watching this thread out of curiosity because sometimes I see connecting fligjts in Chicago that I would like to know about.

However, as an avid backpacker who often ventures into brown bear territory, I have no issue carrying a Glock 48. Carry bear spray (test it to see how it shoots) and learn how to avoid bears. It’s much more pleasant than lugging a heavy magnum pistol around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List