Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O’Hare overnight layover - checking firearms

O’Hare overnight layover - checking firearms

I’m taking the family to Glacier National Park in July. Flight options are not great at the moment. We booked our return flight through O’Hare with a 14hr overnight layover. We are booking a room in the Hilton on-site. I assume I’ll get my checked bag with firearm when we land in Chicago and need to check it again in the morning. I’ve flown with firearms many times in friendly areas without any issues, but never had to deal with checking one in a place like Chicago. Are there any precautions I need to take?

I’ll have my Glock 19, so 15 round magazines.

We’re flying on American Airlines, if that makes a difference.

Also, I won’t have any trouble in Glacier, will I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is a really, really bad idea.

I brought my P365XL to Kalispell/Glacier last summer as part of a WY / MO 2 week road trip. No issues carrying out and about. GTTS Highway was wonderful; we did it pretty early in the morning.

I’d defer to the locals about Chicago.

Site Supporter
    IIRC, you can carry in the park but not inside any of the buildings in the park.
    Inside the buildings Federal law applies. Outside the buildings local law applies.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    I’m taking the family to Glacier National Park in July. Flight options are not great at the moment. We booked our return flight through O’Hare with a 14hr overnight layover. We are booking a room in the Hilton on-site. I assume I’ll get my checked bag with firearm when we land in Chicago and need to check it again in the morning. I’ve flown with firearms many times in friendly areas without any issues, but never had to deal with checking one in a place like Chicago. Are there any precautions I need to take?

I’ll have my Glock 19, so 15 round magazines.

We’re flying on American Airlines, if that makes a difference.

Also, I won’t have any trouble in Glacier, will I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve flown in and out of O’Hare with guns probably 16 times and have never had any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    IIRC, you can carry in the park but not inside any of the buildings in the park.
    Inside the buildings Federal law applies. Outside the buildings local law applies.
    You just described Gettysburg as well.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    I assume I’ll get my checked bag with firearm when we land in Chicago and need to check it again in the morning.
    Is this correct? I think I would check on this first. It seems to me as though the airlines are likely to just consider your layover a layover, even though it's a longish one, and hold onto your checked bag in between flights just as normal.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Is this correct? I think I would check on this first. It seems to me as though the airlines are likely to just consider your layover a layover, even though it's a longish one, and hold onto your checked bag in between flights just as normal.
    Rules vary but every airline will make you pick up and recheck your bag if your layover is over 12 hours, some sooner.

Thank you all for your input. Looking into it further, there's some discrepancy on the magazine capacity limit. I found that Chicago has a 15-rd mag capacity limit, but Cook County has a 10-rd limit. Most of O'Hare sits inside of Cook County. Is this something that's enforced for those traveling through? If so, I do have option to pack the G48 and use the brand new factory 10-rd mags. 9mm is already a stretch for grizzly protection, but 10 rounds is really pushing it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Check into it, but I believe you can legally ship them to yourself at the destination. Nobody but you can open the package, but that should be the case anyway.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List