Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Holosun circle and circle dot for EDC

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Which do you choose, and why?
    Right now my preference is trending towards circle only.

The circle at 25 yards is a bit bigger than the 8-ring on a B-8, IIRC. I encircle the ring with my reticle and send it. On a 100 pt aggregate, my scores between dot only and circle only are very similar. I haven't spent enough time shooting bulls beyond 25 to have data. I shoot about 75% hits on 8" plates at 50 with either.

I'm better about looking through the circle reticle than the dot and I tend to do less over confirmation with the circle.

I haven't messed with circle dot.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    I have not tried a circle only, but for me and my astigmatism, the circle dot is very busy and very easily blooms to the point of obscuring an entire 32 MOA circle instead of a ring. I leave my dots on one or two clicks from max brightness so they always work with a WML or full sunlight. I find the auto setting to be too dim for my preference in most circumstances. With a dot only, I can deal with heavy bloom with my dot too bright for a dark area, but with the circle dot, it's too much.

It's possible the circle only would not have this issue, but my 509T is only dot or circle dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    It's possible the circle only would not have this issue, but my 509T is only dot or circle dot.
    May want to check. I’ve got a 507 and it will cycle through dot only, dot and circle, and circle only. I looked at the holosun website and it says a 509 should be able to do the same thing.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    May want to check. I’ve got a 507 and it will cycle through dot only, dot and circle, and circle only. I looked at the holosun website and it says a 509 should be able to do the same thing.

Jason
    It’s probably for the X2. I’ve got a first Gen and the manual has the two options but not the circle only.

Oops my bad, thanks for the info.

Jason

After shooting my Open gun today, I pulled out a newish Glock 47 with a 509T. Initially I was shooting a difficult array with just the dot, but then decided to try just the circle. Interestingly, I was 5-10 percent faster with just the circle and the two paper targets were skunks. I repeated enough to know at least today, circle only was faster with equivalent accuracy.

I shot one group at 25 yards, circle only, and got this. It was less stressful shooting the group with the circle compared to trying to make a dot settle.

Name:  IMG_3656.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  32.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After shooting my Open gun today, I pulled out a newish Glock 47 with a 509T. Initially I was shooting a difficult array with just the dot, but then decided to try just the circle. Interestingly, I was 5-10 percent faster with just the circle and the two paper targets were skunks. I repeated enough to know at least today, circle only was faster with equivalent accuracy.

I shot one group at 25 yards, circle only, and got this. It was less stressful shooting the group with the circle compared to trying to make a dot settle.

Name:  IMG_3656.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  32.2 KB
    That is truly outstanding, sir! Interesting that the circle seemed less stressful.
    I was playing with a 509T X2 in green a little while back, and recall making hits at 50 yards on a B/C silhouette with just the (green) circle-nothing like that though.
    Part of this is the shooter too, and I would say you’ve got grip and trigger down!

My experience with shooting the circle only vs. the dot only or the circle/dot mirrors those of GJM. Not saying that I can even approach his skill level, but the circle only is consistently faster for me, particularly at distances of 20+ yards.

I also found his comments about shooting the circle when trying for precise shots (groups) seemed "less stressful". I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but in my personal experience I found myself "over-aiming" and getting more tense when trying to hold for a precise shot with the dot as compared to the circle only. Which, I suppose, translates into becoming more tense (stressed), and certainly in taking more time to break the shot.

I recently tried the circle only in steel challenge and liked it. Felt it was much easier to maintain target focus. I like being able to turn the brightness down but still easily see the reticle.

Circle dot is not usable for me. Too much bloom, can't maintain target focus.

The dot only is completely workable and easier for certain targets(like, IMO, a B8), but for action sports I kinda prefer the circle.

After zeroing a few carbines this afternoon, I did some group shooting with a G47 circle only and with a dot at 50 yards. Didn't notice any difference between the two reticles. Did notice one flyer per group at 50, which I will address in another thread. Went 4/5 on a two inch dot at 20 yards, circle only.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List