Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun circle and circle dot for EDC

Site Supporter
    Deleted double post
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-28-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

For me, the best way to use the circle is like the AUG’s “donut of death.” Look at the target and let your eye naturally center the impact spot in the circle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I recently switched to circle only, and even for far away (far away for me, aka b8s at 25 yards), I find the target just settles into the circle. I'm sure it is a hugely personal thing, but it felt totally natural to just put the circle around the target instead of putting a dot on the target. Quantifiables backed up feeling, as well.

Just to add another data point, I did a back to back of 5 rounds each (hey, ammo's expensive) of S&B 115 at 10 yards through the G34+507c today. Using the circle I scored a 46-1X, with the dot, 48-2X.

I think "for me" one thing that's happening is the circle is attracting my inner OCD, as my lizard brains tries align the Black of the B-8 with the circle, which doesn't seem right. (Assuming I did the math right, a 32MOA circle at 10 yards is around 3.4", compared to a B-8 9 ring circle of 5.54").

I'll keep working on this as my dot experience (right now, virtually nil) increases this year. I can see the benefit of a carry gun with the circle being easier to pick up in a stressful moment. Since I'm not routinely in gunfights, the most stress I see is in a match. My next one is 6/20, so I plan to just shoot the dot in the G34 and see how it goes. It's interesting to me everyone seems to perceive this differently.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just to add another data point, I did a back to back of 5 rounds each (hey, ammo's expensive) of S&B 115 at 10 yards through the G34+507c today. Using the circle I scored a 46-1X, with the dot, 48-2X.

I think "for me" one thing that's happening is the circle is attracting my inner OCD, as my lizard brains tries align the Black of the B-8 with the circle, which doesn't seem right. (Assuming I did the math right, a 32MOA circle at 10 yards is around 3.4", compared to a B-8 9 ring circle of 5.54").

I'll keep working on this as my dot experience (right now, virtually nil) increases this year. I can see the benefit of a carry gun with the circle being easier to pick up in a stressful moment. Since I'm not routinely in gunfights, the most stress I see is in a match. My next one is 6/20, so I plan to just shoot the dot in the G34 and see how it goes. It's interesting to me everyone seems to perceive this differently.
    Think of it this way. The single dot is for shooting your best on a good day, where the circle is for doing best on your worst day. That is why I compete with a single dot and EDC a circle.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Think of it this way. The single dot is for shooting your best on a good day, where the circle is for doing best on your worst day. That is why I compete with a single dot and EDC a circle.
    Gotcha. Totally get the static accuracy (precision?) is better with the dot. I can see how the doughnut could be better on a ‘bad’ day though. I’ll circle (*) back to this after my match.

* Sorry couldn’t resist. I’ll see myself out.

While I defer to your greater dot experience, I'm having an issue with this visually. I'm imagining this as a wide rear notch vs. a tight notch. The wide gets you speed, but not necessarily accuracy if you receive the go signal when it's just somewhere in the notch. Seems to be a large portion of "in the circle" that would equal a miss.

Perhaps more later as I formulate a better response.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    What are your thoughts on the circle dot? Does the central dot negate the speed of just the circle for you /distract from a target focus.

I’m curious because I don’t have any time on circle/circle dot rds myself.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    While I defer to your greater dot experience, I'm having an issue with this visually. I'm imagining this as a wide rear notch vs. a tight notch. The wide gets you speed, but not necessarily accuracy if you receive the go signal when it's just somewhere in the notch. Seems to be a large portion of "in the circle" that would equal a miss.

Perhaps more later as I formulate a better response.
    Let your eye naturally center the target in the ring and it will be plenty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What are your thoughts on the circle dot? Does the central dot negate the speed of just the circle for you /distract from a target focus.

I’m curious because I don’t have any time on circle/circle dot rds myself.
    I find the Holosun circle dot too busy, unlike an Eotech.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I forgot about this thread until just now. I had been doing some ammo testing for carry on my G48 milled by PM for my 507k and was fiddling around with the circle and the dot. This was at a local indoor range.

I did two back to back runs of "the test" (10 rounds at 10 yards in 10 seconds), one with the circle only, and one with the dot only. Ammo was Federal HST 147 JHP.

On the first run, I used the Dot only, for a score of 97-4X. The second run was with the Circle, and netted a 90-0X.

Subjectively, I felt like I was "watching" the circle much more than the dot, in terms of shooting. Maybe this is "me" and my corrected, bifocal vision. I am still pretty new to dots but found the interesting. I'll keep going with the dot only for carry and competition for now.
    Another datapoint: 98-5X on The Test, 507k set to circle only, as for EDC. I felt like I was watching the target more this time. And focusing on trigger control, while squeezing the grip like I was holding onto my lunch money. Ammo was Blazer 124.

Name:  B21AD3C2-F5AA-4AE0-AD5A-226FB5544A29.jpeg
Views: 493
Size:  51.0 KB

User Tag List