Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun circle and circle dot for EDC

Right. That’s what I meant to say.
    Last edited by newyork; 04-27-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Back to the original topic of circle reticles...

I'm a dot novice, but I've been using the Holosun circle reticle for several weeks after seeing GJM recommend it in another thread. I like the circle a lot, however I find myself losing a target focus, and instead focusing on the circle. This is particularly noticeable in dry fire with an occluded objective lens (tape on the front of the sight). With a dot its much easier (for me) to keep a target focus.

As I have said a few times, I prefer a single dot for technical shooting. However, given the binary nature of a dot, as in dot or no dot, I will take a circle to either no dot, or a splattering of multiple dots.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    In Holosun's recent video showing their new releases, they were saying the green emitters actually had better battery life. I won't pretend to understand how that works.
    I saw that too and it made sense but I can't for the life of me explain it. Something about making that color being more efficient or using les volts or watts or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I saw that too and it made sense but I can't for the life of me explain it. Something about making that color being more efficient or using les volts or watts or something like that.
    Yeah, that's it basically. A red LED will generally draw more current than a green LED.

In EE terms, Power in Watts is I (current) squared * R (resistance), so more current = more power consumption, i.e. shorter battery life. Less current = less power consumption, longer battery life. Here's a typical graph of current vs. voltage for various LED colors I found at random:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  51.4 KB

Follow the curves up from a supply voltage of say 1.5V and read across for Amperage; the green LED uses less current than Red, by quite a bit.

The efficacy of red vs. green in cognitive terms varies quite a bit by individual. I find green quite hard to pick out, as compared say between a red or green fiber optic pipe, I pick up red much better than green. But I have some odd color deficiencies in my sighting, so I'm not probably a good representative of gen pop in those terms.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-28-2021 at 06:59 AM.

Name:  C80E9FCA-C68A-4DD9-A029-17D20E754B2F.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  45.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a 407 CO for a while.
    Brownells has the 407 8moa circle only right now.

I let a friend shoot my 2.0 Compact with a 508T after the USPSA match today. We were in a steel range, and I handed him the pistol with the circle reticle only selected, asked him to withhold judgement and shoot the smallest steel. He shot the bejesus out of it, and he had never shot the circle before. Repeated the same with a woman on our squad, and she had a similar experience.

I forgot about this thread until just now. I had been doing some ammo testing for carry on my G48 milled by PM for my 507k and was fiddling around with the circle and the dot. This was at a local indoor range.

I did two back to back runs of "the test" (10 rounds at 10 yards in 10 seconds), one with the circle only, and one with the dot only. Ammo was Federal HST 147 JHP.

On the first run, I used the Dot only, for a score of 97-4X. The second run was with the Circle, and netted a 90-0X.

Subjectively, I felt like I was "watching" the circle much more than the dot, in terms of shooting. Maybe this is "me" and my corrected, bifocal vision. I am still pretty new to dots but found the interesting. I'll keep going with the dot only for carry and competition for now.

Name:  IMG_9057.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_9056.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  29.7 KB

Site Supporter
    @RJ iirc you’ve been a “drive the dot shooter” with irons since you started shooting and I don’t think that you have seriously participated in any other aiming sports, your results aren’t that surprising to me.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-28-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List