Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun circle and circle dot for EDC

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I really try to avoid made in or owned by China, but have accepted that Apple, Arcteryx and Holosun will be my exceptions because of the lack of better alternatives.

As to Holosun, I have come full circle (sorry) and find their line of the 507K, 508T and 509T to offer the best feature set for defensive pistol optics.
    Your opinion definitely swayed me towards springing for direct milling for the 507Ks.

He also was the one that turned me on to the 509 (and/or 508). I’m thinking I want a closed emitter so...509.

I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a 407 CO for a while.
    I saw one a few weeks ago. I'll let you know next time I see one.

Great and timely thread; I’m very interested in y’alls views on this.

My milled 48 slide+507k arrived back from Primary Machine today. I shot my G34+507c with the 32MOA circle last range visit, and made a PR on The Test. Put circle on target, press trigger. It was almost like cheating.

I have virtually zip for Dot shooting rounds downrange, but based solely on one range session and a bit of dry practice, I’m favoring the circle so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Great and timely thread; I’m very interested in y’alls views on this.

My milled 48 slide+507k arrived back from Primary Machine today. I shot my G34+507c with the 32MOA circle last range visit, and made a PR on The Test. Put circle on target, press trigger. It was almost like cheating.

I have virtually zip for Dot shooting rounds downrange, but based solely on one range session and a bit of dry practice, I’m favoring the circle so far.
    Like with most things, there are trade offs. A single dot makes precise shot calling easier, since a single dot lifts rather than a much larger circle. The circle can also draw your eyes from more of a target focus. The circle wiggles less than a dot, is easier to see part of when misaligned, and the big one is it eliminates splatter and phantom dots in weird sun angles.

If you think about it, shot calling is more important in a gaming situation than in a defensive scenario, where even a well placed shot can be ineffective. This makes the single dot more desirable for me competing and the circle more appealing defensively.

Just minutes after posting this morning, I encountered three coyotes walking my dog in the desert. One about twenty yards to our right, and two forty yards to my left in the direction of the riding sun. They beat feet without shooting, and I thought coyotes out chasing jack rabbits ought to get a pass, but that is exactly the scenario where the circle rocks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@RJ
    @GJM

I’m going to offer an alternate view because I think GJM is very smart and always makes great points.

I personally don’t think circle versus circle plus dot matters if you are a good shooter and have good binocular vision.

I do a fair amount of work with circle plus dot on defensive guns, my practice carry gun and my fighting revolver are both set up that way.

Here’s why I don’t think it practically matters except for slow fire, if you aren’t a good shooter or you only have one eye.

When I do drills, the gun and optic aren’t static. They move onto and off of the target. I’m never staring through the ring, the ring passes by and over the target and I can see it the millisecond before and after the sight gets there.

Plus my non-dominant eye lets me “see” what’s behind the sight in the same way that you can still “see” a target with iron sights blotting out half the target.

If you’re spending time having to hold on target and not dynamic in your acquisition and trigger break, then you might perceive a theoretical benefit of a circle without dot versus circle with a dot.

I’d say instead of a circle trying to hit a moving coyote at 40 yards, a dot with good iron backups would be better in diverse sighting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @RJ
    @GJM

I’m going to offer an alternate view because I think GJM is very smart and always makes great points.

I personally don’t think circle versus circle plus dot matters if you are a good shooter and have good binocular vision.

I do a fair amount of work with circle plus dot on defensive guns, my practice carry gun and my fighting revolver are both set up that way.

Here’s why I don’t think it practically matters except for slow fire, if you aren’t a good shooter or you only have one eye.

When I do drills, the gun and optic aren’t static. They move onto and off of the target. I’m never staring through the ring, the ring passes by and over the target and I can see it the millisecond before and after the sight gets there.

Plus my non-dominant eye lets me “see” what’s behind the sight in the same way that you can still “see” a target with iron sights blotting out half the target.

If you’re spending time having to hold on target and not dynamic in your acquisition and trigger break, then you might perceive a theoretical benefit of a circle without dot versus circle with a dot.

I’d say instead of a circle trying to hit a moving coyote at 40 yards, a dot with good iron backups would be better in diverse sighting conditions.
    As a two a day hiker with our bird dog, I get lots of opportunities to look at different red dots in weird sun angles. In the past, I have started threads with pictures of different optics in low sun angles. The RMS Shield series and Romeo 3 Max/XL single dots seem to do best in low sun angles. The SRO, RMR, DP Pro and Holosun single dots not so well. The circle works for me in adverse light, but if a single dot is preferable to your eyes and environment, the neat thing about a Holosun is you can choose the reticle you want. I would suggest folks experiment for themselves.

Just minutes after posting this morning, I encountered three coyotes while walking my dog in the desert. One about twenty yards to our right, and two forty yards to my left in the direction of the riding sun. They beat feet without shooting, and I thought coyotes out chasing jack rabbits ought to get a pass, but that is exactly the scenario where the circle rocks.
    FIFY.

Trust me, I hate myself for doing that and I forgive you for hating me. I couldn't help myself, the image of three coyotes walking your dog was torturing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    FIFY.

Trust me, I hate myself for doing that and I forgive you for hating me. I couldn't help myself, the image of three coyotes walking your dog was torturing me.
    Hey, I aim to please, and posting on a mobile device only adds to the fun.

As a two a day hiker with our bird dog, I get lots of opportunities to look at different red dots in weird sun angles. In the past, I have started threads with pictures of different optics in low sun angles. The RMS Shield series and Romeo 3 Max/XL single dots seem to do best in low sun angles. The SRO, RMR, DP Pro and Holosun single dots not so well. The circle works for me in adverse light, but if a single dot is preferable to your eyes and environment, the neat thing about a Holosun is you can choose the reticle you want. I would suggest folks experiment for themselves.
    Wonder the mechanism of the difference. Lens angle is pretty steep on the R3Max but maybe that’s why I’ve cracked three lenses.

And also wonder if the “issue” wouldn’t be solved with something simple like a green dot.

I have a 507c in green and if the issue is just confusing the dot with the sun, that might be a solution.

User Tag List