Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun circle and circle dot for EDC

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Wonder the mechanism of the difference. Lens angle is pretty steep on the R3Max but maybe that’s why I’ve cracked three lenses.

And also wonder if the “issue” wouldn’t be solved with something simple like a green dot.

I have a 507c in green and if the issue is just confusing the dot with the sun, that might be a solution.
    A friend at Glock recently reported that a green Holosun worked well in adverse sun angles, where a red colored dot did not.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A friend at Glock recently reported that a green Holosun worked well in adverse sun angles, where a red colored dot did not.
    The biology of human eye physiology heavily favors a green dot but cost and battery life have limited application.

If they ever make a gaming dot in green I am buying that even if I have to buy a pile of batteries.

If you’ve never tried a green dot, you should give it a whirl.

Is there a huge difference in battery life with green? Does Holosun offer most of their models in both red and green?

Although I want a closed emitter, I se the 507c is like $120 cheaper than the 509. Dang. $309 is pretty cheap.
    Last edited by newyork; 04-27-2021 at 06:04 AM.

My first green dot I got by mistake. They sent me a 507c-GR instead of a 507k and I figured I’d try it out. I was concerned that all my dot time was with a red dot and maybe I would somehow forget how to shoot or not recognize the stimulus.

I was wrong. It didn’t take any adjustment and the color just “pops.”

It’s actually easier than a red dot to pick up because there aren’t competing red type lights out there. No tail lights, no suns, no flames, there’s nothing else in most field of view that’s a green light.

I’ve heard some policemen pick green so as to help distinguish it from other red lights on cars and things.

So when we are talking about reticles and angles, it’s important to note how much of this is borne out of antiquated convention and technical limitations that will someday soon not be applicable.

In Holosun's recent video showing their new releases, they were saying the green emitters actually had better battery life. I won't pretend to understand how that works.

How do you feel about open vs closed emitter for a HD/carry/range optic for a civilian? I keep thinking with closed I won’t have to worry about lint/water and other stuff getting in the way of the emitter. Saves on maintenance too.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    In Holosun's recent video showing their new releases, they were saying the green emitters actually had better battery life. I won't pretend to understand how that works.
    No doubt the technology has improved and I would anticipate that it’ll take over in the not so distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    How do you feel about open vs closed emitter for a HD/carry/range optic for a civilian? I keep thinking with closed I won’t have to worry about lint/water and other stuff getting in the way of the emitter. Saves on maintenance too.
    Others have different opinions, but everything is a compromise.

Indoor HD, lens and emitter should be clean and dry so no advantage of a closed emitter IMO.

Range optic, who cares. If it breaks or gets dirty, take a break and replace or clean it.

Carry, lint won’t bother it. Rain or water will affect it, but if you have a good index and BUIS, probably won’t functionally matter. Personally I’ll take the smaller profile and size of an open emitter for the time being.

RainX on the emitter and lens also helps to minimize issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    No doubt the technology has improved and I would anticipate that it’ll take over in the not so distant future.
    10-12 years ago we were having the same conversation with carbine platforms.

Personally I’ll take the smaller profile and size of an open emitter for the time being.
    Being able to mount the 509T so low sealed the deal for me. It is hard to have a smaller mounted profile than this with current open emitter options without going to a “slim-line intended” optic and reducing window size.

I suppose with a core it’d make more of a difference. Milling it that low seems a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I suppose with a core it’d make more of a difference. Milling it that low seems a no brainer.
    A CORE won’t go as low as mine pictured above.

User Tag List