Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct Screwdrivers for Smith and Wesson Revolvers?

Correct Screwdrivers for Smith and Wesson Revolvers?

Other than the 4 bit set that Brownells sells, can anybody recommend a good set of drivers or bits that fit Smiths? Grace sells sets for all sorts of guns, but I'll be damned if I can find one for S&W revolvers.

For the last several years, the Wheeler set I have used has been good enough, until it wasn't last night and I am now ashamed at how my J-frame looks.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I mostly go with Wheeler, as they are considerably less expensive. I remember measuring my K frames when I had them and ended up buying two Brownells bits, because they fit the side plate screws better than any Wheeler bits.

Brownells:
    445-0
    210-3
    I have recently been using these on my M&P 340 and they fit the sideplate screws very nicely.

Without going and checking it, I'm pretty sure the Wheeler bit marked 110-795 is what I used for the thumb piece nut.

The fourth bit I keep in a ziplock marked "S&W" is a Wheeler bit marked 183-148. It has been stoned slightly to thin the tip of the blade, or perhaps more to just deburr it, as that is common. I don't remember what it's for, though. Didn't need it on the J. Might have just been a grip screw or something.

--------------------

I make a habit when I get a new gun of measuring the slot width and length on any slotted screws and making sure I have all the necessary screwdrivers. If not, I buy them. I mined the dimensions of all the Wheeler bits off the Midway USA site, as I couldn't find them published otherwise, and having a list makes it a lot easier to buy what I need than having to blindly bring up all the different SKUs until I find one with dimensions that are close. I like the Wheeler 3-packs Midway sells, as I can keep the original size while modifying the thickness or length of two of them as needed. However, as noted, other sources may be a better choice.

Wheeler_Bit_Chart with dimensions.pdf
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I mostly go with Wheeler, as they are considerably less expensive. I remember measuring my K frames when I had them and ended up buying two Brownells bits, because they fit the side plate screws better than any Wheeler bits.

Brownells:
    445-0
    210-3
    I have recently been using these on my M&P 340 and they fit the sideplate screws very nicely.

Without going and checking it, I'm pretty sure the Wheeler bit marked 110-795 is what I used for the thumb piece nut.

The fourth bit I keep in a ziplock marked "S&W" is a Wheeler bit marked 183-148. It has been stoned slightly to thin the tip of the blade, or perhaps more to just deburr it, as that is common. I don't remember what it's for, though. Didn't need it on the J. Might have just been a grip screw or something.

--------------------

I make a habit when I get a new gun of measuring the slot width and length on any slotted screws and making sure I have all the necessary screwdrivers. If not, I buy them. I mined the dimensions of all the Wheeler bits off the Midway USA site, as I couldn't find them published otherwise, and having a list makes it a lot easier to buy what I need than having to blindly bring up all the different SKUs until I find one with dimensions that are close. I like the Wheeler 3-packs Midway sells, as I can keep the original size while modifying the thickness or length of two of them as needed. However, as noted, other sources may be a better choice.

Wheeler_Bit_Chart with dimensions.pdf
    Perfect. Thank you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I’ve been using Gunblue490’s “shaped to fit S&W” idea: https://youtu.be/4ujyLn3lHBc Just go to 7:00 minutes. I actually have two such screwdrivers, because th rear two screw on a J frame are too small to fit a cylinder yoke screwdriver.

I bought the Brownell set with the 4 interchangeable heads and I'm very happy with it. It has everything you need for disassembly of your S&W plus it has blades for the sight. I have a number of different sets of gunsmith screwdrivers. I like the Brownell because I can just keep it in my shooting bag. Last Sunday I needed it to tighten my mainspring during a match.

Site Supporter
    Those with a grinder can fit bits to screws. Various brands sold in box stores are cheap and work well for this task. When a too wide bit gouges the side plate of a stainless Smith, this step will help clean up the disfigurement: run a razor blade over the screw hole and then forget about the error. This works with blued finishers but you must be careful. In both apply oil first.

If anyone reading this thread does not know what a hollow ground screw driver bit is, he should look that up.

Site Supporter
    Those with a grinder can fit bits to screws. Various brands sold in box stores are cheap and work well for this task. When a too wide bit gouges the side plate of a stainless Smith, this step will help clean up the disfigurement: run a razor blade over the screw hole and then forget about the error. This works with blued finishers but you must be careful. In both apply oil first.

If anyone reading this thread does not know what a hollow ground screw driver bit is, he should look that up.

I got tired of chasing the proper screwdriver and got the 44 bit set from Brownells. Best investment I have ever made. It has its own box that arranges the bits and has the lay out printed in side the lid. Other than a few scope rings that take an Allen head, I haven't found a screw that I cant fit a bit to.

BROWNELLS MAGNA-TIP SUPER SETS™ | Brownells

Brownells:
    445-0
    080-150-330WB is slightly larger in diameter and thickness but still fits the sideplate, yoke and strain screws on K/L/N frames without being too snug.

Thank you all. I think I'm sorted

User Tag List