Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct Screwdrivers for Smith and Wesson Revolvers?

Many years ago i got a Chapman set, theyve been very good, and sell replacement tips if needed. I have the basic gun set.

I ended up with dads Brownells basic set and have discovered they dont fit much of anything I have very well, almost the opposite of the Chapman set. The Chapmans seem to fit almost every need Ive had, the basic Brownells doesnt seem to fit much of anything with the basic set.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Those with a grinder can fit bits to screws. Various brands sold in box stores are cheap and work well for this task. When a too wide bit gouges the side plate of a stainless Smith, this step will help clean up the disfigurement: run a razor blade over the screw hole and then forget about the error. This works with blued finishers but you must be careful. In both apply oil first.

If anyone reading this thread does not know what a hollow ground screw driver bit is, he should look that up.
    That’s what I do in a pinch. Take a #10 slotted bit and grind to the size I need.

I have the Brownells 4-bit set (shouldn’t that sell for 50-cents?). I’ve not found any use for the smallest and largest bits. The second-smallest works on the side plate screws and the next one up for the strain screw. I use a home-ground on the yoke.

User Tag List