Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 1911 series 70 vs 80 question

Drake Oldham performed drop tests of 1911's with various firing pin configurations, floor surfaces, and heights 10 years ago. Draw any conclusions you might, just sharing as another data point. These were all dropped muzzle straight down, he did not drop on the hammer muzzle up.

Here is a link to an archive from the old 10-8 forums:

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/drop1/drop1.htm

Just buy the one you are comfortable with

So when it comes to 1911's we have a choice of a firing pin safety or not. Just buy the series you are comfortable with, 70 or 80. There are arguments pro and con, same could be said for a magazine safety......once again pros and cons.

Anything mechanical can either break or perform in an unexpected way. It wasn't long after I bought my Ruger LCP it was recalled due to unintended discharge. Ruger fixed it quickly, no charge, with an extra magazine thrown in for my time.

I will say that both my 1911s are 70 series, but this thread has made me think about a 1911 with a firing pin safety.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    So when it comes to 1911's we have a choice of a firing pin safety or not. Just buy the series you are comfortable with, 70 or 80. There are arguments pro and con, same could be said for a magazine safety......once again pros and cons.
    We also have a choice as to what type of firing pin safety. The Colt Series 80 mechanism works pretty well and I would choose that over the types used by Kimber, Sig, and formerly used by S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    No, anyone claiming this is an idiot. Seriously, the 1911 has had no FP block for most of its existence, and this has never been an issue.

Being dropped, on the muzzle, from a height, yes, but never from the slide being released.

Just never been a thing.
    Exactly

By the way... there is only a VEEERY SMALL difference in slide forward velocity (and thus FP inertia) when you use the slide stop vs normal cycle of fire when both are feeding a round from the magazine.

That being said, I prefer a S80 for drop safety issues, rare as they may be.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 04-26-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    Yes, so I have read. But I have loaded rifle primers in my 9mm reloads and all my 9mm pistols functioned just fine. I do use full power mainsprings in all my pistols. Personally I would only carry a pistol with a FP safety.
    I do not believe that releasing the slide on a series 70 will cause it to fire unless it has some serious issues.
    I’ve experienced it first hand.

1. Guns with reduced trigger pulls that will ignite pistol primers reliably, but not rifle.

2. Old super hot loads that would cause primer flow with pistol primers, but not rifle. (Back in the day, we used rifle primers in our .38 super open guns. It’s not really necessary today due to the reduction in major power factor floor.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I was watching a U-tube video about a Colt 1911 vs a Rock Island, both in 45 ACP. The guy doing the video is very experienced. He mentioned the possibility of an unintentional discharge IF you used the slide release to charge the pistol, after an empty mag lock-back. His reasoning was firing pin inertia. His Colt was a series 80 and he demonstrated the firing pin would not move forward without the trigger being depressed. The Rock Island was a series 70. Since the firing pin can move forward if there is no block, I get it that it may be possible. But if that could happen it seems to me it could happen every time the pistol reloads when the slide slams forward and the hammer is locked back on the sear. I believe I read where the some Colts have titanium firing pins which are lighter than steel to make them less likely to fire due to inertia if the pistol is dropped. So my question is this: Is it possible for a non-series 80 1911 to fire if charging using the slide release? And does anyone know if most firing pins are made of steel or are lighter materials used to minimize drop firing events?
    I've owned and built many 1911's Mainly 70 series, any 80 series had the parts removed and replaced with Shims. Never ever had a pistol go off unless I intended to make it fire. With 110 years of use, most of it before any series 80 changes and millions of pistols, I think if that was an issue, we would of heard of it by now.

Not being an ass, but I don't think he's as experienced as he might want people to believe.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I prefer a gunsmith tuned s80 over a s70 pistol for my defensive needs. When tuned up right, there are negligible downsides for a CCW type weapon, with the bonus of additional safety. I've had superb s80 pistols built by Lary Vickers, Wilsons (Tripp, Phillips, Peters), Bonar at Novak's, CT Brian, etc., so I feel like I can talk from experience here.

THAT BEING SAID, the s70 system is very good and I have complete trust in the design. All of my current defensive 1911's are s70, and the rear sight on one has the dent from being dropped on concrete from torso-height, and it didn't go off.

Just like the Sig P320... You are dropping it wrong

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    We also have a choice as to what type of firing pin safety. The Colt Series 80 mechanism works pretty well and I would choose that over the types used by Kimber, Sig, and formerly used by S&W.
    I also prefer the series 80 FP system to the Schwarz but AFAIK the SIG 1911s use the series 80 system as do the ParaOrdnance /Remington.

Site Supporter
    Combine a pre 80 1911 with a firing pin slightly longer than spec with a firing pin spring slightly weaker than spec and you might get a big surprise if you do drop it. The early S&W 39's were not drop safe and surprised a few unfortunates. Ditto for Old Model Ruger Single Actions carried with 6 in the cylinder. My suggestion for owners of older 1911's is to use a titanium firing pin and stronger firing pin spring.

User Tag List