Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 series 70 vs 80 question

1911 series 70 vs 80 question

I was watching a U-tube video about a Colt 1911 vs a Rock Island, both in 45 ACP. The guy doing the video is very experienced. He mentioned the possibility of an unintentional discharge IF you used the slide release to charge the pistol, after an empty mag lock-back. His reasoning was firing pin inertia. His Colt was a series 80 and he demonstrated the firing pin would not move forward without the trigger being depressed. The Rock Island was a series 70. Since the firing pin can move forward if there is no block, I get it that it may be possible. But if that could happen it seems to me it could happen every time the pistol reloads when the slide slams forward and the hammer is locked back on the sear. I believe I read where the some Colts have titanium firing pins which are lighter than steel to make them less likely to fire due to inertia if the pistol is dropped. So my question is this: Is it possible for a non-series 80 1911 to fire if charging using the slide release? And does anyone know if most firing pins are made of steel or are lighter materials used to minimize drop firing events?

Site Supporter
    Can you link the video?

https://youtu.be/809ttTh9XUM

Around 6 mins 30 seconds. He actually is charging by manually pulling slide back and then releasing it.

I am considering a Dan Wesson which I know is series 70. Here is a quote from Keith at DW:

Keith DW said:
    There is nothing wrong with using the Titanium fining pin if it will make you feel better. It has no drawbacks but also has not real benefit. We use a 9mm firing pin and Wolff extra power spring in all of our guns. this is the same setup that we passed the Calif. drop test with in our PM7 and Cbob. To each his own but I would not waste the money. Buy ammo, a holster, mags or grips instead.

I have not before heard of anybody claiming a fear of the gun firing off the slide stop.
    Many sources say the standard 1911 will fire if dropped. Mine didn't.

There are a lot of titanium firing pins in lieu of mechanical firing pin obstructions.
    There have been some number of titanium firing pins replaced with steel to stop misfires, too.
    So if you consider a light firing pin safer, test it to be sure it is reliable.

P.S. "Series 70" did not always mean "lacking a firing pin obstruction."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I say there is no cause for concern. The firing pin is a certain length and the firing pin spring is a certain pound weight for a reason. I have owned and shot dozens of the pre 1980 1911s and have never observed even a dimple made on a primer.

But I have seen Star and ILama 1911 style pistols with unfitted firing pins that protruded from the slide.

Well, Paul is 50% right. Not all “New Colts” have a firing pin block. I’ve owned 4 brand new Colts in the last few years: a Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander with no firing pin block, the same with a Colt Government Competition Model in 9mm and .45 acp. My standard Colt Lightweight Commander had a Series 80 firing pin block, but I removed it. Deleting it deletes 5 moving parts, but does replace one part with a non-moving spacer. I agree 100% with Paul about taking care where a firearm is pointed while chambering a round, but that goes for ANY firearm. I’d crap my pants if someone pointed a firearm at me, and would hit the dirt if they were manipulating the slide or charging handle. My Ruger 1911’s have titanium firing pins.

I recall well before the internet that Bill Wilson mentioned that the firing pin could be shortened a few thousands to minimize drop firings.

I am of the opinion that when the slide catches the top round from the mag and feeds into the chamber, its like a cushioning effect as opposed to dropping the slide on a empty chamber.

my first encounter with a 1911 in the 80s was a Series 70 Colt with a heavy steel firing pin. I put thousands of .45 ball and reloads with never an issue.

My current carry is a Springer MCOP Gen 1 and it has a titanium firing pin. I recently parked a MCOP Gen 2 with a little over 15k through the tube and countless dry drills. No issues.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Colt's current policy is to include a firing pin safety (Series 80) on guns intended for defensive use, and Series 70 for traditional models, plus those for target and sporting use.

I have never heard of a Series 70 Colt discharging when the slide goes forward to feed the next round. And I have either racked the slide or used the slide release thousands of times on Series 70 guns with no issue. Anyway, charging the pistol by sling-shotting the slide would cause just as much inertial energy as using the slide release.

Okay I just watched a few seconds of the video. You can disregard the warning about S70 guns it contains.

No, anyone claiming this is an idiot. Seriously, the 1911 has had no FP block for most of its existence, and this has never been an issue.

Being dropped, on the muzzle, from a height, yes, but never from the slide being released.

Just never been a thing.

User Tag List