Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    * Several have mentioned that when punching the ejector rod, it can stick. At first mine was fine, then later it did begin to stick. Five minutes with a small file fixed the problem and it's been 100% reliable since then. It was a dumb design flaw on Colt's part, but it was also really simple to address.

I've always been a S&W guy, so it took me a while to get used to the Colt trigger... which is light years better than anything else current manufacture I've tried, but it's still different. After a bit of practice I now really like the Colt trigger. Although my old butter smooth Smith's are sweet too, if only they still made them like that.
    1. Excellent review. Thanks for posting.

2. Can you describe what needed to be filed on the ejector rod?

3. I really consider myself I revolver newbie. Much less time on them than I have on my semi autos. But I thoroughly agree that if I had to design one from the ground up, it would have an old-fashioned Smith & Wesson trigger. Don't own one myself but I've shot some at the range when my friends let me borrow one of theirs.

But new stuff, including performance center, really not good at all. Colt really seems to have figured out a good trigger pull even though it's not exactly what I would consider perfect. I found it a lot easier to shoot compared to a modern Smith & Wesson.

I’ve learned JM will be releasing an aiwb for them too!

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I’ve learned JM will be releasing an aiwb for them too!
    I remember seeing from him and maybe Tom that the new Colts and/or the Kimber would be supported “SOON.” Do you have something more recent?

I don’t have one but my dad does, and he’s quite a fan. He’s also a fan of Detective Specials, and is using a new Cobra as essentially a replaceable carry stand-in for those.

I emailed Tony today and got an answer back fast saying in a couple months they will have them.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    1. Excellent review. Thanks for posting.

2. Can you describe what needed to be filed on the ejector rod?

3. I really consider myself I revolver newbie. Much less time on them than I have on my semi autos. But I thoroughly agree that if I had to design one from the ground up, it would have an old-fashioned Smith & Wesson trigger. Don't own one myself but I've shot some at the range when my friends let me borrow one of theirs.

But new stuff, including performance center, really not good at all. Colt really seems to have figured out a good trigger pull even though it's not exactly what I would consider perfect. I found it a lot easier to shoot compared to a modern Smith & Wesson.
    Here's a photo of the area that was filed; all of the knurled portion rearward of the point of the file. The file was my grandfather's so could be anywhere from 1920s to 1960s vintage, but anything similar would work; the max width of the file is 3/16 inch and that's about how much of the knurling I filed, the entire knurled portion is about a quarter inch long. basically I took the points off the knurling just enough for them to clear. It's fairly hard steel, the first light passes did basically nothing so I gradually increased pressure until the ejector rod began to move more freely, and then went til it didn't stick anymore. You can see a bit of polishing on the smooth portion of the rod, if you'd rather avoid that tape that section first; it doesn't contact initially, but the last few passes as the knurling is reduced it starts to touch back there. I didn't care, this revolver is intended to be carried and shot and I'll do much worse to it over time.

Name:  IMG_3881.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  53.3 KB

A couple of things to add: My KC is early manufacture, acquired August 2019; someone wrote that Colt has since fixed this issue, but I can't remember who said that and have no way to independently verify.

Also, I'm using HKS DS speedloaders and they clear easily with 357 or 38, no difficulties.

It really astounds me that there are so few options in this compact/moderate weight/six round revolver niche, especially ones that run out of the box. The current S&W K-frame options are slightly larger/heavier and more importantly I'd need to plug the lock and work on the trigger first.

If we weren’t talking about $899, I’d have to get the one in that local shop.

Last edited by TeflonDon; 05-06-2021 at 06:52 PM.

If we werenÂ’t talking about $899, IÂ’d have to get the one in that local shop.

Purchased mine this year a couple months back. There is zero issue with ejector rod stick. I seen a YT video of this very complaint, and I checked for it when I purchased mine. The knurled part of the ejecttion is too large diameter wise to get stuck or to stick in the crane. I beleive it has been long since fixed, and this is really something that's beyond simple to check for before purchasing.

That thing is sick!

Site Supporter
    That thing is sick!
    $899 sounding more reasonable?

User Tag List