Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Cobra

I got one of those $499 night cobras. Unfortunately mine was a lemon. Went back to Colt 3 times. The third time they replaced it with a 3 inch King Cobra. Been very happy with the KC so far. It is a "D" frame so carries smaller than a "K" frame. If you are looking for a mid sized carry revolver then definitely something you should look at. Around here they are going for north of $900. Since I essentially got mine for $499 I'm pretty happy.

Man that’s rough but ended in joy! $899 here. I’m looking at this gun while simultaneously looking at a dot for an m&P while buying hunting stuff lol. Can only choose 2. Maybe I’ll grab one of these next year. Good to hear that yours is great.

I own both a Cobra and a 3" King Cobra, just over 1,000 rounds on both (ammo is unobtanium), no issues with either of mine. @vaglocker What problems required 3-trips back and a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I own both a Cobra and a 3" King Cobra, just over 1,000 rounds on both (ammo is unobtanium), no issues with either of mine. @vaglocker What problems required 3-trips back and a replacement?
    First time was the hammer strut and the shop monkeys at Colt didn't seem to want to take the time to actually take the gun a part and diagnose the issue. Second time went back for the same issue that they never fixed. Third time was hammer return spring. I think they just got sick of dealing with me and my pissed off phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Is that one of the newer Cobras?

Bob M I have two new Cobras. One a standard that was purchased when introduced and a Night Cobra from Bud's when he was selling them in the $500+ range. Both shoot well and have not had any problems. They are accurate, and I have a Kramer Askins style holster for them. I'd purchase a King Cobra 3" if I could find one. I use Detective Special HKS Speedloaders with them. They also seem to like a 158 grain bullet. I run them with wadcutters and a 158 SWCHP NON+P from Buffalo Bore as a reload.

More positive reviews than I would’ve expected

Looks like the Kramer IWB#5 would be the ticket if one likes appendix. $165.20 plus shipping though.

I purchased a 3-inch King Cobra not too long after they were released, and then got busy with work things and didn't shoot it much for a while. This year I started thinking it would make a great trail gun, so started bringing it along on range trips. Only about 500-600 rounds through it so far. Then I carried it on an 11-day Arizona trip, where I was hiking 13-15 miles per day with friends who cover the full range of pro-gun to not so much, so concealability was a good idea. It turned out to carry really well OWB in a Simply Rugged pancake holster under a loose shirt, or in a Hill People original.

Here's what I'm liking:
    * 28 oz, along with rounded revolver contours and sometimes I almost forget it's there.
    * Small enough to conceal well
    * Excellent trigger
    * Hits very close to point of aim with a wide variety of 357 and 38 loads
    * I've had to change absolutely nothing, all the same parts it came out of the box with. How often does that happen.
    * The rubber Hogue's fit my hand well and are large enough to hang onto, small and rounded enough to conceal, and they absorb recoil well. Even 140gr magnums at 1200+ fps were not bad at all.
    * No ugly lock. No super-heavy lawyer trigger.

Here's what I'm finding to be a bit less ideal:
    * I'd be happier if the sights were just a little bit bigger. Not a deal killer, they're better than most trough sights and I've adapted to them. Painting a thin white line around the rear notch helped a lot. This would be a non-issue for most young eyes, and it's not that bad even for not so young ones. Someday when they're back in stock I may swap out the brass bead front for the tritium option.

Two things in response to criticisms I've read in other reviews:
    * Several have mentioned that when punching the ejector rod, it can stick. At first mine was fine, then later it did begin to stick. Five minutes with a small file fixed the problem and it's been 100% reliable since then. It was a dumb design flaw on Colt's part, but it was also really simple to address.
    * A few reviewers have mentioned, and included photos of, misaligned side plates. Mine was very slightly off on one edge. Rather than whine about it and do nothing, I took the grips off and took the sideplate off, then re-installed it while pressing gently up on the lower edge. Guess what, flawless fit. It's not that the sideplate doesn't fit, it's that someone at the factory released pressure before tightening the last screw. Plus it's a great excuse to put some blue locktite on the screws, one of mine was slightly loose at first disassembly (I advise blue locktite on the set screw that holds in the front sight also, mine started to slightly loosen on the first range trip, it's been fine since then).

I've always been a S&W guy, so it took me a while to get used to the Colt trigger... which is light years better than anything else current manufacture I've tried, but it's still different. After a bit of practice I now really like the Colt trigger. Although my old butter smooth Smith's are sweet too, if only they still made them like that.

So I'm really liking the KC so far, and plan to add it to my carry rotation soon mostly in a trail gun role. Reliability has been good, admittedly with a modest number of rounds downrange to date but almost half have been magnums. Today I had range officer duty and only had time to shoot for a few minutes at end of day, was able to hit steel at 100 yards from a rest. To be honest that surprised me, with the 3-inch barrel and trough sights.

Damn it you’re killing me lol

User Tag List