Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Computer Chipocalypse

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

The Computer Chipocalypse

ArsTechnica has reported that executives from Intel, Nvidia, and TSMC are foreseeing the chip shortage lasting into 2023. I was planning on getting new desktops for the wife and I next year, but pushed ahead and got them this week just because there may not be any to buy next year. Anyone else hoarding?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I have two very old laptops ( 7 plus years old) and I've been considering upgrading. Both are running win 10 but not real well.

Should I just replace those now and save myself some grief down the road? I would hate to go into Best Buy and be told they didn't have any laptops to sell.

I'd probably just buy another computer with windows on it. I don't want to stretch my brain with Apple OS.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    It may not be a terrible idea to get those sooner rather than later. There's still inventory to be had, but in another few months, it might be a beggars/choosers situation.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I am in the planning phase of a desktop PC overhaul and was hoping things would improve soon...
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I just recently replaced my Mac Mini with one of the new M1 system on a chip-based ones, so I'm good on that front. (And I've been impressed with that device.)

My gaming PC probably has another few years in it before it'll start feeling long in the tooth and I'll want to upgrade it, so I'll be waiting this particular shortage out.

I was going to do a complete rebuild--AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, nVidia 3070RTX--but you just can't get the components anywhere. I think the availability is even worse than the gun situation. So I'm holding off for now--there's nothing wrong with my current rig, just some games I think I'd rather wait and play.

Based on what I was seeing at work, we upgraded my MacBook Air and my wife's iPad in January of this year. My laptop was discounted by 10% as I did not want the new M1 chipset and wanted the Intel offering. We had last updated my laptop in 2015, so it was time.

I should probably update my desktop, but it makes my head hurt every time I do research.

I've thought about just getting a laptop or Ipad, but I like a real mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I should probably update my desktop, but it makes my head hurt every time I do research.

I've thought about just getting a laptop or Ipad, but I like a real mouse.
    You can run a laptop with a wireless mouse, uses a USB chip instead of integrated on the board.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...tronics&sr=1-4
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I am... um... peripherally involved in the industry, and the situation is pretty bad. In addition to way increased demand and a shortage of workers due to COVID, there was a least one major plant that burned down and the company is scrambling to somehow keep up the supply.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List