Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The cake is a lie.
    Name:  DB69DA7A-581A-48B7-87D3-5E4205998CF8.jpeg
Views: 668
Size:  86.5 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    If you've got full custom 1911 money to burn, this isn't the worst way to do it.
    This.

If all the 1911s you could buy new lived in the $450-1100 street price range (during more normal times), a Wilson Combat, or even a Dan Wesson or STI, would seem ludicrous, but they keep the spindles turning building $1800-3600 guns all day. It's conceivable that the reason there's currently no market for $3300 revolvers is simply because nobody's tried marketing a revolver that's actually worth $3300 the way it's originally manufactured. Wilson Combat isn't going to put Springfield out of business and MR73s and Korths aren't going to put S&W and Ruger out of business. But they sure might be worth someone's time.

Having spent the time to un-kitten a few revolvers at this point, I'd have to consider it a bargain if I could just buy one that was as well made out of the box as a DW Silverback at a similar price point.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Questions:

What's that finish on the hammer and trigger that make it look like bronze and what's the purpose?

What's up with the two white dot adjustable rear sight and the plain black front sight?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

As spoken by others, I could see the cost advantage of such a purchase if it were the equal of the original manufacturer's version, with the added value of support from Beretta.
    A good condition S & W Registered Magnum runs approximately twice that, and has no factory support at all. Looking around, that is probably the closest comparison in intended quality goal and execution.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Questions:

What's that finish on the hammer and trigger that make it look like bronze and what's the purpose?

What's up with the two white dot adjustable rear sight and the plain black front sight?
    I *think* that it’s heat coloring. I was able to get pretty close duplicating it in my oven on the trigger. Think that I went about 15 degrees too hot and some blues and reds crept in to the bronze coloring.

And I really don’t know why they have the two dot rear sight. I would say it’s the French, but the Manurhin owners on French gun forums tend to complain about it, too. The older guns had plain rear sights, and early Chapuis guns used a Millet sight with a squared white outline.

I just decided to take the plunge anyways instead of spending another few years wondering about MR73s from afar. Having to use a black paint pen on my 3 kilobuck revolver is kind of annoying, but I knew that I was going to be dealing with it when I put the money down.

Very cool, good on Beretta for giving this a try.

The thing that would concern me with purchasing one is that in my experience, Beretta's customer service is amazingly terrible on their own products they have been making largely unchanged for decades. How will the support be for a firearm they do not produce and isn't commonly available in this country?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    jetfire needs to get his hands on one and do a comparison with the new Python.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    As soon as there are enough in the states for this to happen, believe me it will
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m disturbed by how excited I am about such a comparison/review.
    I'm right there with you. As others have pointed out, Wilson and others have no problems with selling bespoke 1911s at the MR73 price point or higher.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Questions:

I suspect it's TiN, titanium nitride. Very hard, used on cutting tools to make them wear longer. And other stuff.
    Not another dime.

Just checked y'all did see the 4" 'Gendarmerie' version, right? https://www.beretta.com/en-us/manhur...gendarmerie-4/

___

Real talk for a minute. I've been writing a novel where the main character is a former GIGN agent turned freelance counter-terror advisor. And he definitely carries an MR73 (or three).

And now I think I might need a 4" Gendarmerie version for 'research purposes'.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    And now I think I might need a 4" Gendarmerie version for 'research purposes'.
    Business expense. The ammo, too. And the leather.

Dang, maybe I need to start writing fiction. (Insert joke about submitting articles to gun magazines here.)

Seriously, though. If I found out the black finish was nitride and not bluing, I think I would be on this.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List