Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    But will there be cake? I was told there would be cake...
    The cake is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I recently got a new MR73. I am not nearly as prolific a shooter as many of the other folks here, so I am probably not going to be able to do a 2000 round challenge with the gun in any kind of timely manner.

As far as initial impressions, it’s noticeably more accurate at 20 yards with the same batch of my reloads in my no dash 686, which itself is pretty good in the accuracy department. The guns were pretty well matched at 7 and 10 yards. The MR73 build quality is excellent, and it has very little play in the yoke/crane or cylinder. This is a new manufacture Chapuis gun, so I have no idea how it stacks up against the original Manurhin guns, but I am impressed examining it in person when compared to older Smiths.

The trigger pull is pretty darn nice, and tuneable for weight by adjusting both the mainspring tension, and the tension on the rebound slide. I would say that double action is about like a good Smith DA trigger (but with a shorter trigger stroke), so pretty nice, but for $3000+, I consider a good trigger mandatory.

The thing that is annoying to me is that there are no additional sight options, and the trigger comes grooved from the factory, which is not something that I like, personally. It seems like lousy sight and grip options are pretty much standard for most revolvers, and it’s not exactly like there are enough MR73s being made to justify a robust aftermarket for it, although I am hopeful Beretta acting as an importer might change that.

I had the grooves in the trigger polished out, and re-heat colored the trigger in my oven. I also put a couple coats of orange paint on the front sight, and blacked out the rear sight dots. Hopefully, I will get the holster I had made for it in soon (Rusty Sherrick has a mold for the gun, and his lead time was about 8 weeks), and I can try doing some holster work. I also ordered some of the non-Trausch grips for this gun, as well as my MR88 from a place in France (https://armt-creations.monsite-orange.fr/), so we’ll see how these grips are when they arrive.

Overall, I would say that it’s a very nice gun, but I personally feel like the super high price premium is maybe a bit too much. However because my gripes are about the ergonomics of the gun rather than any other flaws, I want to shoot it some more with the grip, sight, and trigger tweaks before I say that it’s too expensive.
    Yeah, that's the million dollar question. Is Beretta going to be providing sights, grips, etc and more importantly, factory repair service. Or are they just a glorified importer.

I have heard that they will likely be taking over domestic warranty service on the guns, so hopefully this also includes having a decent supply of spare parts and grips available. As far as I know, the only sights available on the latest generation Chapuis guns are either the two dot or match extended rear sights, and plain ramped serrated or patridge front sights.

The same person who told me about the warranty service situation told me that Beretta was going to be importing these guns about six weeks ago. They also had heard that Beretta was probably going to be fairly hands-off with Chapuis, but they did throw them some cash to update some of their machinery. I guess that we’ll see what happens with this situation as time goes on, because it’s not like businesses can’t intend to do something and then change their mind.

Also, as much as I would like to have Smith and Wesson revolver scale support for the MR73, I think that this is potentially going to be really hard to make a business case for. Revolvers are only a small fraction of domestic gun sales, and this particular revolver with a frankly eye-watering price tag ensures most of that potential customer pool is either very well off financially and/or extremely stubborn and motivated to specifically buy MR73s. So you’re looking at a tiny fraction of an already niche market segment.
    Last edited by Scal; 04-25-2021 at 02:05 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I predict they will sell reasonably well in Beretta gallery stores to the high-end shotgun set.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'm already lining up overtime details to pay for this thing before I retire at the end of the year. I will have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    @jetfire needs to get his hands on one and do a comparison with the new Python.
    As soon as there are enough in the states for this to happen, believe me it will

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    As soon as there are enough in the states for this to happen, believe me it will
    I’m disturbed by how excited I am about such a comparison/review. An MR73 is one of my grail guns and the news that Beretta is going to be importing them and potentially providing actual factory support is great. I’m trying to figure out if it would be worse to miss out on one of these or to buy one and then get shot with it when my girlfriend finds out how much it cost.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

A 3” model with a smooth trigger and more practical sights... I’d get plastic burn I’d be whipping out my credit card so quickly.

Site Supporter
    At the purchase price of $3300 ($3500 after tax here in VA), is this a better value proposition than a S&W or Ruger revolver tuned and customized by any number of master gunsmiths? If we removed the "story" that goes along with the MR73, what makes it worth north of 3k?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    At the purchase price of $3300 ($3500 after tax here in VA), is this a better value proposition than a S&W or Ruger revolver tuned and customized by any number of master gunsmiths? If we removed the "story" that goes along with the MR73, what makes it worth north of 3k?

Chris
    If you're not interested in the story or the unicorn horn it's presumably machined out of then yeah, a S&W or Ruger gone over by a good smith is probably more practical. For some value of "practical" discussing a full-size, six-shot revolver in the year 2021.

They've also been roughly in the low to mid 3k mark for years now. Pre-lock S&W .357s, of which many more were made, are routinely breaking the 1k mark at auction. Sometimes even for pedestrian examples.

If you've got full custom 1911 money to burn, this isn't the worst way to do it.

User Tag List