Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have been told by Kebco that the LPA rear sights are all the same. The historic difference between the rear sight profile on Sport and Gendarmerie models no longer exists.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    It is an MR73 with the old style ratchet. The cylinder pin rod (axe du barillet) has a rounded end. A flat one, as used on a Ratzeburg Korth with highly polished, glass-hard surfaces, won’t mark as much. Also, heat treatment on the MR73 is optimized for toughness.
    On the M&P 340 (scandium J frame) I recently went through, I noticed that the recoil shield ramp was getting pretty heavily marred just from all the opening and closing of the cylinder I was doing going through the gun. Looking at it under 10x magnification, it was clear that the tip of the center pin had tool marks on it, essentially concentric grooves making it act as a circular file on the frame of the gun when opening and closing. Gave it the old 320/400/600/worn-out-600 treatment, and it is as smooth as I could want under magnification. Will make checking and addressing that the first step with any future S&Ws.

Haven't had a chance to check out the axe du barillet on a Manurhin yet, but the gun in the picture certainly suggests tool marks could be present anywhere.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Talk about superior metallurgy. This MR73 shows a pounding from the extractor ratchets, and a lot of rough matching. Just saying...
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895155401
    Attachment 71461
    That's not a reflection of pounding from recoil or rough machining.

Look at the cylinder. One tine of the extractor star isn't sitting flush with the cylinder face. The pattern on the breech face is consistent with getting gouged by the extractor star. I can't say if it wasn't fit right or if it was disassembled and not reassembled correctly.

A hardened sharpened edge will dig in against a hardened flat surface. Has nothing to do with the metallurgy of the parts in question. Has to do with the fitment of them.

If the extractor star had been correct/corrected or is corrected that issue will stop.

Since this is a pre-Chapius gun, the fitment of it cannot be used as evidence that the current guns built by an entirely different company, would have the same issue.

Careful inspection of any gun before taking possession of it should be the norm.

As it is, someone forked over the cash for that gun, because of when it was made and lack of import marks, not to shoot it heavily.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    On the M&P 340 (scandium J frame) I recently went through, I noticed that the recoil shield ramp was getting pretty heavily marred just from all the opening and closing of the cylinder I was doing going through the gun. Looking at it under 10x magnification, it was clear that the tip of the center pin had tool marks on it, essentially concentric grooves making it act as a circular file on the frame of the gun when opening and closing. Gave it the old 320/400/600/worn-out-600 treatment, and it is as smooth as I could want under magnification. Will make checking and addressing that the first step with any future S&Ws.

Haven't had a chance to check out the axe du barillet on a Manurhin yet, but the gun in the picture certainly suggests tool marks could be present anywhere.
    All but one of my S&W revolvers are pre-WWII, with hand-polished recoil shields. The one exception is a 1998 M627 with a bead blasted recoil shield. All are marked with traces of the ratchet and ejector pin. Anyone bothered by this tendency ought to get a Colt.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Anyone here get one of the Beretta imports yet? I can't even find where to buy one.

I've heard the first shipment is all going to Beretta Galleries.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by elsquid View Post
    Question for @e_stern

Does Beretta plan on submitting one or more flavors of the MR73 for inclusion on California’s handgun roster?

Since revolvers aren’t required to have LCIs, magazine safeties, or implement microstamping adding them is fairly straightforward. ( Colt has been adding their new revolvers, and both the relatively recent 4.25 and 6 inch Pythons are available here for new dealer sales. )

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certifie...ch?make=151001

Thanks!

— Michael
    Anything is possible.

For now, the MR38 and MR32 are exempt by virtue of the Olympic Pistol list.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've heard the first shipment is all going to Beretta Galleries.
    DB and I were at the Dallas Beretta Gallery on Saturday. Terrific folks there, by the way.

They sold out of the first batch of 25 pistols in less than 48 hours, they said. I'm on the list for the next batch, sometime in June or July.

Weeping silently, I consoled myself with a new 92X full size. My nephew needs a sidearm. I'll fill it with Langdon parts and teach him The One True Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    . I'll fill it with Langdon parts and teach him The One True Faith.
    So, you'll be trading it for a 1911?

I'm a little frustrated, the first 25 guns sold at Beretta galleries. This is ruining my Hipster Cred...

Quote Originally Posted by e_stern View Post
    Anything is possible.
    Well then, I remain hopeful.

Thanks for the response.

-- Michael

User Tag List