Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There is a difference between a GP that's been taken out of the box and to the firing line, and one that's been thoroughly prepped. The way Ruger ships them, they are full of rough surfaces and burred edges. Do "everything" to them, and I believe they should last quite a bit longer. As long as you keep them clean enough and don't do obviously abusive things to them.

Also, flame cutting is flame cutting. 125-grain .357s will do it, no matter how big and strong the parts are that they are cutting.

---------------------

ETA: Interestingly, the 4-inch Gendarmerie with a full underlug is 3 ounces lighter than a current Model 19 Classic 4-inch with a partial lug.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-28-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There is a difference between a GP that's been taken out of the box and to the firing line, and one that's been thoroughly prepped. The way Ruger ships them, they are full of rough surfaces and burred edges. Do "everything" to them, and I believe they should last quite a bit longer. As long as you keep them clean enough and don't do obviously abusive things to them.

Also, flame cutting is flame cutting. 125-grain .357s will do it, no matter how big and strong the parts are that they are cutting.
    There's definitely a point there. Everything I've read says the GIGN round counts were with Norma 158 grain 357. Would the counts have been less with 125's? Wouldn't surprise me though I'd still bet on longer than a lot of other designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    There's definitely a point there. Everything I've read says the GIGN round counts were with Norma 158 grain 357. Would the counts have been less with 125's? Wouldn't surprise me though I'd still bet on longer than a lot of other designs.
    Same here. A steady diet of 110 or 125 barn burners will kill any .357 revolver. Some sooner than others, but eventually they all succumb to flame cutting.

My understanding from my research is Norma 158-grain SJHPs and later JHPs were the normal load out, 180-grain JHPs and Flat Points were used in the 8" guns sometimes. But I haven't found any indication that anyone using an MR73 as an issue weapon ran anything lighter.

I noticed that Chapuis' promo photos feature ammo that looks like the 158gr Geco FMJ I have, which I find somewhat objectionable in .357 due to its lack of crimp.

Based on the "Vista Outdoors of Europe" theory, that's likely what it is.

https://geco-munition.de/en/geco-world/ruag.html
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I noticed that Chapuis' promo photos feature ammo that looks like the 158gr Geco FMJ I have, which I find somewhat objectionable in .357 due to its lack of crimp.

Based on the "Vista Outdoors of Europe" theory, that's likely what it is.

https://geco-munition.de/en/geco-world/ruag.html
    Yea Geco/Ruag now owns half the ammo companies in Europe including Norma.

I want to think that somewhere I read they originally used ammo made by Lapua, but switched to Norma after Lapua discontinued the .357 Magnum loading. I cannot find it in my research notes though, so that could just be something I made up.

you'd be hard pressed to wear out a Ruger before you gave yourself crippling arthritis.
    That is definitely true for you and me. I can barely get 100 rounds of .357 magnum through my Janz at one range session before I am all done.
    The GIGN shoot 150 rounds of full house magnums every day. They were stretching the frames on the Smiths. The MR73 will handle that no problem.

I went and shot 100 rounds in my MR38 today and was getting lots of nice clusters in the ten ring at 17 Yards. ( All my local indoor range goes to).

You have to own one of these and shoot it awhile and then You will know where the extra money went.

Okay, so I looked, and the last used Lipsey's 5-inch .357 half-lug GP to sell on GB was $500 more than I paid for mine. I probably have some .380 I could flip for 5-6x what I paid... The Manurhin importer before Beretta took over (Kebco) hasn't raised his price (yet). This is starting to seem like a reasonable thing to do.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    It seems like lousy sight and grip options are pretty much standard for most revolvers, and it’s not exactly like there are enough MR73s being made to justify a robust aftermarket for it, although I am hopeful Beretta acting as an importer might change that.
    Stag is an option from somebody: https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101595821
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The ol Ruger Hawkeye (pistol, not rifle) will be going on the block soon, along with a couple of K-frames.

I’m still torn between the Manurhin and Korth.

At least prices haven’t gone apeshit like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Kebco and JJ Perodeau both have a variety of grip options they resell. If I recall right Kebco tends to sell more exotic (bone, stag, etc) and Perodeau sells wood in a few patterns (effectively: magna, oversized target, and Olympic target styles). Nil has a few styles. And there are the Trausch rubber grips in target and carry styles. So options are out there if not as broad a selection for the perfect fit as say a Smith.

User Tag List