Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Sights are LPA, so there may be drop-in options for the rear blade, even if you have to buy a whole assembly:

http://www.lpasights.com/en/products/txt0407/

I'm starting to ask myself how much 115gr Blazer Brass do I have to sell to get one of these.
    Hmm. If it’d take a standard SW optic mount it becomes more attractive...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hmm. If it’d take a standard SW optic mount it becomes more attractive...
    I don't think it does. The MR73 rear sight does not appear to interchange, it looks to me that the sight slides into a dovetail from the rear of the gun and then is cross-pinned in place. As opposed to the two-screw into the sight channel setup of Smith and Wesson.

What OJ was pointing out was that the MR73 rear sight is made by LPA for Manurhin. So it may share some parts with the Smith and Wesson rear sight. A call or email to LPA may determine if that is true. If so the blacked out rear target blade they make for Smiths would be a nice swap for anyone who got the silly two-dot rear sight.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Also,

20 March 2019
    Beretta Holding SA prend une participation majoritaire stratégique dans la société française Chapuis Armes SAS.
    "Beretta Holding SA takes a strategic majority stake in the French company Chapuis Armes SAS."

So it seems reasonable to expect this to be kinda like Sako/Tikka going forward.

https://www.chapuis-armes.com/en/press-release/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

MR73 Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I recently got a new MR73. I am not nearly as prolific a shooter as many of the other folks here, so I am probably not going to be able to do a 2000 round challenge with the gun in any kind of timely manner.

As far as initial impressions, it’s noticeably more accurate at 20 yards with the same batch of my reloads in my no dash 686, which itself is pretty good in the accuracy department. The guns were pretty well matched at 7 and 10 yards. The MR73 build quality is excellent, and it has very little play in the yoke/crane or cylinder. This is a new manufacture Chapuis gun, so I have no idea how it stacks up against the original Manurhin guns, but I am impressed examining it in person when compared to older Smiths.

The trigger pull is pretty darn nice, and tuneable for weight by adjusting both the mainspring tension, and the tension on the rebound slide. I would say that double action is about like a good Smith DA trigger (but with a shorter trigger stroke), so pretty nice, but for $3000+, I consider a good trigger mandatory.

The thing that is annoying to me is that there are no additional sight options, and the trigger comes grooved from the factory, which is not something that I like, personally. It seems like lousy sight and grip options are pretty much standard for most revolvers, and it’s not exactly like there are enough MR73s being made to justify a robust aftermarket for it, although I am hopeful Beretta acting as an importer might change that.

I had the grooves in the trigger polished out, and re-heat colored the trigger in my oven. I also put a couple coats of orange paint on the front sight, and blacked out the rear sight dots. Hopefully, I will get the holster I had made for it in soon (Rusty Sherrick has a mold for the gun, and his lead time was about 8 weeks), and I can try doing some holster work. I also ordered some of the non-Trausch grips for this gun, as well as my MR88 from a place in France (https://armt-creations.monsite-orange.fr/), so we’ll see how these grips are when they arrive.

Overall, I would say that it’s a very nice gun, but I personally feel like the super high price premium is maybe a bit too much. However because my gripes are about the ergonomics of the gun rather than any other flaws, I want to shoot it some more with the grip, sight, and trigger tweaks before I say that it’s too expensive.
    As far as grips I got these for my MR38. I got the open back but they make them in closed back also. I can't see anyone needing anything else.

http://us.nill-shop.com/MR73-MR22-Fr...m.-Ph.Hemphill

i
    s this a better value proposition than a S&W or Ruger revolver tuned and customized by any number of master gunsmiths? If we removed the "story" that goes along with the MR73, what makes it worth north of 3k?
    That seems to be a generic question when it comes to these or the Korth. You can have a Smith customized but at the end of the day it will still be a Smith.

The MR is an exceptional revolver and definitely worth the premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvia View Post
    i

That seems to be a generic question when it comes to these or the Korth. You can have a Smith customized but at the end of the day it will still be a Smith.

Exactly.

Someone will also have to give me a list of 'master gunsmiths' who are actively accepting work on Ruger and Smith firearms.

You can have a gun tuned up these days. But having an heirloom grade revolver built is getting more difficult. Bowen hasn't accepted DA revolver work for a few years. And folks like TK and Pinnacle custom build nice working/competition revolvers. But nothing approaching what a MR73 or Korth is.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You can have a gun tuned up these days. But having an heirloom grade revolver built is getting more difficult. Bowen hasn't accepted DA revolver work for a few years. And folks like TK and Pinnacle custom build nice working/competition revolvers. But nothing approaching what a MR73 or Korth is.
    TK and Pinnacle might be more like Porsche.
    MR73 and Korth might be more like Ferrari.

Usage patterns might also follow more like that too.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    As far as grips I got these for my MR38. I got the open back but they make them in closed back also. I can't see anyone needing anything else.

http://us.nill-shop.com/MR73-MR22-Fr...m.-Ph.Hemphill
    Not really a fan of that design, for several reasons. I'd be working up something else.

The more I understand about the technical content of these things, the more I think that may be true.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    But nothing approaching what a MR73 or Korth is.
    Which is the better proposition? MR or Korth?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    TK and Pinnacle might be more like Porsche.
    MR73 and Korth might be more like Ferrari.

Usage patterns might also follow more like that too.
    TK and Pinnacle are track tuned Hondas and Mustangs.

Can't say about the Korth, but the Manurhin is much more Porsche like. Premium price but premium quality and also extremely reliable day-in-day-out even when run hard. We're talking about a gun specified to run tens of thousands of full power 158-grain .357 Magnum without issue. They factory proof them at 30% of CIP max of .357 Magnum and guarantee them to not bulge or blow up at 2x max pressure.

There isn't a Smith that will survive that abuse, let alone keep running after.

User Tag List