Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That doesn't really help someone without a login for Instagram. Seems like it would be logical to post information about your company on your company's own web site, where people can just go find it without having to be active on some other service.
    Eh. It's irritating, but it's also understandable why they do it. It's easier to just put things in one place, and you go where your audience is.

I don't InstaFaceTube, but the draw is having your content put in front of people without them having to "go find it." Gun people browsing TwitchBook completely unaware that Beretta is importing these things will have it put in front of them, albeit subject to the whims of The Algorithm. And as The Algorithm gets smarter, the tiny subset that will plunk down $3k for a European revolver will have it front and center. Meanwhile the others will have whatever Beretta fits their demographic's optimal price point show up at the same place on their screen

Web fora like PF that are focused on one specific type of content have mostly evaporated or gotten absorbed into a network of fora that are increasingly owned by like one Canadian company. Anything that isn't on the TokGrams is eventually going to be on whatever social media type service SMC is putting together now that they own hkpro, and 1911forum, etc. There's a shrinking number of places for anyone to hear about it outside the Walled Tech Gardens. So might as well announce it there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Eh. It's irritating, but it's also understandable why they do it. It's easier to just put things in one place, and you go where your audience is.

I don't InstaFaceTube, but the draw is having your content put in front of people without them having to "go find it." Gun people browsing TwitchBook completely unaware that Beretta is importing these things will have it put in front of them, albeit subject to the whims of The Algorithm. And as The Algorithm gets smarter, the tiny subset that will plunk down $3k for a European revolver will have it front and center. Meanwhile the others will have whatever Beretta fits their demographic's optimal price point show up at the same place on their screen

Web fora like PF that are focused on one specific type of content have mostly evaporated or gotten absorbed into a network of fora that are increasingly owned by like one Canadian company. Anything that isn't on the TokGrams is eventually going to be on whatever social media type service SMC is putting together now that they own hkpro, and 1911forum, etc. There's a shrinking number of places for anyone to hear about it outside the Walled Tech Gardens. So might as well announce it there in the first place.
    Don’t worry, sooner or later; FB and Instagram will be gun free. Count on it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    And when they do you'll be ready to pounce, having cornered the market on the gun internet. The gunternet.

I see what you're scheming.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    More gun free zones!

They are soooo helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    And when they do you'll be ready to pounce, having cornered the market on the gun internet. The gunternet.

I see what you're scheming.
    Pretty much
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I bought a NIB MR-73 in the summer of 2019. I hate to be the dissenting voice, but I had issues with it. This is just my experience.

Something was not right with the gun I had because sometimes when I would pull the trigger and the cylinder would lock up in the middle of turning. If I released the trigger and then pulled it again it would complete its cycle.

Next the gun seemed to be out of time, I was getting some off center primer hits and failures to detonate. It also seemed to be shaving lead.

Back at this time 2019, there was no one in the US who serviced the gun. (I am not sure how Beretta will handle any warrantee work for the guns that it sells). I could not even find a qualified gunsmith in the US who would work on the gun.
    Googling for MR73 problems brings up several cases of timing/carry-up issues with Chapuis guns. Not really much else, unless you count the guy who posted YT of himself continuing to fire the thing with "professional reloads from his gun club" in Australia after it was failing to fire when the hammer fell in DA. He ended up with additional problems, including severe flame cutting of the forcing cone.

One guy did diagnose his gun. Re-bent the hand spring and reported that cured the carry up issues. He reported he was able to buy some parts from Chapuis direct. Unfortunately, no follow-up with, "I got the parts in and this is how it all worked out in the end."

If it's as simple as a batch of crappy hand springs, that's easy to swap out. One set of pics I saw on a forum included the hand itself out of the gun, and at least that one could definitely stand a bit of slickening. Someone made the point that it's a really simple part and could probably be remade (thicker, etc.) if needed by a normal earth person who is good with tools.

Interesting that the hand spring may be an issue, as one of the few engineering changes was a move from the original clothespin-style hand spring to the newer leaf spring style. I suppose another possible issue could be if the clothespin-style cylinder stop spring was underperforming like the original hand spring did.

@zeleny has some quality sideplate-off pics here: https://larvatus.livejournal.com/342060.html

Interesting also that on the newer gun in Zeleny's photos, the bolt (S&W terminology: bolt, Manurhin terminology: cylinder release button) has changed from a machined part to some kind of casting. Kind of rough looking for a MIM part, but it would be difficult to make it with a conventional casting. That is one of the things the Australian guy broke, so there could be smoke/fire there.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-07-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

MIM internals on a $3,000 PLUS revolver??? I say “Plus” because your chances of getting one at MSRP are about as good as a Colt Python below $2,000. In addition, the sucker only holds 6 rounds. My 686+ revolvers hold 7, and my M627 holds 8 rounds. Those are tactical numbers.

ETA: I don’t care if my S&W’s have some MIM parts, but they didn’t cost $3,000, and parts are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    MIM internals on a $3,000 PLUS revolver??? I say “Plus” because your chances of getting one at MSRP are about as good as a Colt Python below $2,000. In addition, the sucker only holds 6 rounds. My 686+ revolvers hold 7, and my M627 holds 8 rounds. Those are tactical numbers.

ETA: I don’t care if my S&W’s have some MIM parts, but they didn’t cost $3,000, and parts are readily available.
    It's only MIM if it comes from the Springfield region of Massachusetts. Otherwise it's just sparkling cast.

One good thing (I think, anywho) about the latest version of the hands on the MR73 is that they have a spring detent on the right side of the hand to keep it from bowing out and causing timing issues, even with some wear, so the hand itself is probably not really likely to need replacement. The hand spring would probably be a good spare part to keep, if one was going to bother. The older generation hand springs reportedly caused their own carry-up issues in rapid fire, and replacing an old model clothespin spring with a new one requires modification or replacement of the sideplate.

Hopefully Beretta will sell spare parts to the general public and do service on guns, even on the older MR73s that aren’t Beretta marked. Hastings Distribution https://www.hastingsdistribution.com...duct_list&c=60 has a lot of spare MR73 parts that they can order from Chapuis. Bring your wallet. I don’t know if these arrangements are going to continue or not with other importers and places supplying parts, or if anything in the US is going have to go through Beretta USA now.

So…everything went hazy and I just got on a list for a 4” MR73. Tell me it was the logical choice.
    #RESIST

User Tag List