Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta is bringing in MR73 revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Update: it was definitely the cylinder stop. See below for photo of the old cylinder stop side by side with the replacement that Chapuis sent me.

Attachment 78424

The damaged stop on the right has developed a rounded edge where it interfaces with the cylinder notches, which is likely why it was skipping past cylinders in fast double action fire. What's interesting is I also noticed minute deformation on the cylinder notches themselves, which I'm going to keep an eye on.
    Interesante.

I'll be interested to see how this one holds up.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Update: it was definitely the cylinder stop. See below for photo of the old cylinder stop side by side with the replacement that Chapuis sent me.

Attachment 78424

The damaged stop on the right has developed a rounded edge where it interfaces with the cylinder notches, which is likely why it was skipping past cylinders in fast double action fire. What's interesting is I also noticed minute deformation on the cylinder notches themselves, which I'm going to keep an eye on.
    Ugly. That's not an especially massive cylinder, either. It's not like the part's gotta halt a steel six shot N-frame .38/.357 cylinder in its tracks, which is hella hard on stops.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

@jetfire That qualifies as battered! Not good at all, but I can now divert my attention elsewhere. Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Ugly. That's not an especially massive cylinder, either. It's not like the part's gotta halt a steel six shot N-frame .38/.357 cylinder in its tracks, which is hella hard on stops.
    Yeah, what's interesting is that if this had been a MIM part, it's a lot less likely that this would have happened, you know? Since it's easier to get good quality control and heat treating on MIM, it's a lot harder to get a bad small part. I'm going to assume that's what happened here - the part wasn't heat treated correctly so it's way softer than it should have been, which is what smashed it up.

When talking with some friends after we heard the news, I (terribly) photoshopped one up on request. The length is in no way correct, probably like 2.36" barrel or something. Enjoy.

Name:  IMG_2920.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  32.3 KB

Charlize Theron took a short barrel MR73 from a French agent in Atomic Blonde. They became very, ummmm, friendly not long afterwards.

Name:  9EAF9AED-7263-41A4-9460-9134A907F51D.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  26.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Charlize Theron took a short barrel MR73 from a French agent in Atomic Blonde. They became very, ummmm, friendly not long afterwards.

Name:  9EAF9AED-7263-41A4-9460-9134A907F51D.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  26.2 KB
    I love "The Politics of Dancing"...

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    All revolvers can [suffer the cylinder stop wearing and the bolt notches peening], if the action is worked fast enough that the cylinder turns faster then the spring that powers the cylinder stop can work. Just some designs are better at engaging the cylinder stop earlier with more mechanical force. But those designs tend to have heavier trigger pulls.

It's why reducing the weight of the rotating mass (i.e. using a Ti cylinder) is a popular choice in competition guns. It's not only easier to turn that mass with less force, it's easier to stop it at the right time too.
    This is half right as to identifying the underlying cause, but dead wrong as to the general claim. All it takes for a revolver to resist the wear of its cylinder stop and the peening of its bolt notches, in theory, is satisfying one metallurgical and two mechanical requirements:
    1. The cylinder notches and the cylinder stop must be made from an appropriate alloy heat treated to the point of preventing their mutual impact from reaching the yield point of their material's stress-strain curve within the physiologically attainable speed of human trigger pull;
    2. The cylinder must be light enough to keep its maximum rotational momentum within the elastic performance envelope of cylinder notches and the cylinder stop;
    3. The cylinder stop must be light enough and sprung to the point of keeping up with the maximum rotational velocity physiologically attainable by human trigger pull.

Ensuring the compliance of manufacturing practice with the requirements of mechanical and metallurgical theory is left as an exercise for the reader.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    I’ve got to wonder if competition-speed DA shooting is within the MR73’s design envelope, or is it something like a Python which was designed mainly for single-action shooting?

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’ve got to wonder if competition-speed DA shooting is within the MR73’s design envelope, or is it something like a Python which was designed mainly for single-action shooting?
    The MR73 was designed and manufactured for social work within the parameters dictated by GIGN, based on the contemporaneous FBI training doctrine, which encompassed both single- and double-action shooting, depending on the tactical requirements of the moment. Sixgun gaming falls outside its remit.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

User Tag List