Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No limp wrist, but Muzzle bounce?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    Once again,.. really appreciate the input.

I have signed up for a MDFI basic shooting class that will meet in August. Im looking forward to it. It's titled " you suck, it's not the gun!"

I have been and do vary my target distances during my range sessions. You're seeing my 5m/yd groups because they're the least embarrassing. Lol.

Seriously tho. For a complete novice shooter, I think I do ok out to about 10m. (...just ok). But after that,.. it's sloppy and @25m? It's a crap shoot if I even hit the cardboard let alone the black. @ 25m my stock Glock front sight pretty much covers the whole silhouette. 🤷*♂️ I honestly don't know how you guys can shoot 2"-3" groups @ 25 yds. That's amazing to me.

I should probably disclose that I haven't actually zeroed out either weapon yet. Ive only just started researching how to do that with a pistol.

I should also ad, I have arthritis So my grip strength isn't what it used to be. And lastly, I have an astigmatism and my vision needs different correction for near & for far. After My last DOT physical, I have to have glasses for driving. I can focus well enough up close for the front sight. But I need reading glasses for books.

None of this is meant to be excuses btw,.. just information regarding the physical limits & shortcomings I need to work around.

...and @Caballoflaco! Thanks for that link! 👍🏻
    Shooting is primarily a visual activity so properly accommodating vision issues is important.

For shooting with iron sights and corrected vision you generally want the near correction which allows you to best see the sights regardless of the distance to the target.

For those of us with older eyes the two best sight options, especially on an indoor range, are iron sites with a fiber optic front sight such as those from Dawson precision or a slide mounted red dot pistol optic.

The MDFI class is a great investment.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think this video is excellent, although the most important part is about recoil control, trigger control.

In general that was a good video. I tired his thumb flexed method and have to say I totally disagree with it for the following reasons:

1. the flexed dominant thumb interferes with the weak hand getting a high grip.

2. I don’t like the thumbs pressing on the frame at all. It creates inconsistency from shot to shot.

3. The flexed thumb IP makes my trigger finger slow and sticky due to the common nerve origin to the thumb flexor tendon and index distal flexor tendon. The finger just gets too much tension in it for rapid fire.

I much prefer Ken Nelson’s thumbs out approach.

User Tag List