Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No limp wrist, but Muzzle bounce?

No limp wrist, but Muzzle bounce?

New shooter, posted a few times regarding a warranty issue with my first gun purchase. Now own two 9mm handguns and have shot roughly 1.5-2 thousand rounds or so thru them. (...EXPENSIVE obsession!!) :O

Finally got around to asking someone if they wouldn't mind shooting a little video of me shooting so I could see what was going on with my attempts at recoil management. I still get some btf issues, but altho Im not experienced enough to be certain, it doesn't appear to me that I'm limp wristing the gun.

I am noticing that the front muzzle bounces a bit after most shots before the barrel & sights settle. Is this normal? Am I maybe holding the weapon with my wrists too stiff? I've been watching some YT vids of other ppl shooting. I see this little bounce in the muzzle in some instances and not so much or even at all in others. Sometimes it occurs off & on during the series of shots from the same mag dump. 🤷*♂️

I have signed up for some more in depth training this summer. Im taking the MDFI "You Suck! It's Not tge Gun!" Class in August. Hopefully it wiil suss out & help solve any obvious issues.

Anyway,.. here's the video I have. I appreciate any feedback or advice. (...I know its not much but I just asked the stranger in the lane next to me if he wouldn't mind doing this while his wife was reloading her mags. Lol. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL6p9VSD5Xs

Btw,.. here's the group from that series. @ 5m!

Name:  IMG_5520.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  37.1 KB
    Last edited by Chomps; 04-23-2021 at 07:19 PM.

The way your support hand fingers come off and regrip after a shot is telling. You can grip tighter with those support hand fingers. The best shooters in the world are gripping so tight with their support hand it removes skin. I think its difficult to grip too tight. Just get used to gripping really tight.

You may find you can loosen your strong hand fingers some to focus on your trigger pull if you tighten your support hand enough.

Full disclosure: I suck at shooting. Many/most here are way better than I am. But the harder I grip the pistol, the better are my follow up shots. This is something you can do in Dry Practice.

I would reread @Cory’s post a couple times - absent standing next to you, it appears you aren’t gripping hard enough. The “Regrip” sequence you are doing with your support hand near the end of the video kinda shows that.

To add: I really like this grip video by Bob Vogel:

Keep working at it! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post

I am noticing that the front muzzle bounces a bit after most shots before the barrel & sights settle. Is this normal?
    It happens to some extent with all guns. OCD competitors spend a lot of time fine-tuning their recoil springs to their slide weights and load power to minimize this. Just by looking at it I can't say that what you're experiencing here is abnormal.

I am not trying to be an ass but: when you took a break from shooting and brought your gun to your chest, your finger remained on a trigger. No bueno.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The way your support hand fingers come off and regrip after a shot is telling. You can grip tighter with those support hand fingers. The best shooters in the world are gripping so tight with their support hand it removes skin. I think its difficult to grip too tight. Just get used to gripping really tight.

You may find you can loosen your strong hand fingers some to focus on your trigger pull if you tighten your support hand enough.
    This, plus you appear to be locking your elbows. Try a slight bend.

A certain amount of recoil / muzzle flip is unavoidable but I think unlocking your elbows will help.

An athletic stance with the weight of your upper body slightly forward of your hips may also help in conjunction. Emphasis on "slightly." Think "nose over toes" not anything exaggerated or that tires you.

I thought it looked pretty good overall.

Maybe even a little too much tension so that you’re not absorbing and riding the recoil.

Hence the bounce instead of the cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

...I am not trying to be an ass but: when you took a break from shooting and brought your gun to your chest, your finger remained on a trigger. No bueno.
    No!!! That's DEFINITELY "No Bueno!!"

I didn't catch that at all. During the set or having watched the video a couple dozen times. I try to stay VERY focused on maintaining a safe muzzle direction and keeping my finger off the trigger until ready to fire. In fact, I was sure you must have been mistaken & it was some trick of the angle the video was taken. But nope!! Damned if I didn't have my fat finger jammed right in that trigger guard!!! 😳

So, No, you weren't 'being an ass.' And thanks for pointing it out. Imma definitely need ta watch that.
    Last edited by Chomps; 04-23-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Here's something you can try if you'd like.

I hate dry fire. I also hate exercise. In fact, I hate most things that aren't drinking rum and reading books.

So I mix them, in order to make it more likely for me to do them. I'll do dumbbell workout sets in between dryfire drill sets. A good way to work on your grip strength is to hold dumbbells tightly at the end of a set for 30 sec-a minute instead of setting them down. You will feel your forearms and hands burning.

A common flaw in dry fire practice is not using an effective grip because your brain knows there isn't going to be any recoil. If you dry fire in between dumbbell sets you will feel that forearm and hand burn when you are using an effective grip. This helps in not phoning it in during dryfire. If you make yourself grip hard enough to feel that burn while still focusing on your other fundamentals, it will feel more natural to use that grip when you go to the range.

No limp wrist, but Muzzle bounce?

I don’t see a problem. The gun recoils. The slide cycles. You return the gun to the target fairly quickly. There is still inertia from the return of the slide and the gun, and that causes a small wobble. It’s possible to time the next shot so it happens prior to the wobble, but that isn’t necessarily a good idea.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-23-2021 at 10:48 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I would reread @Cory’s post a couple times - absent standing next to you, it appears you aren’t gripping hard enough. The “Regrip” sequence you are doing with your support hand near the end of the video kinda shows that.

To add: I really like this grip video by Bob Vogel:

!
    It is possible that @Chomps isn't gripping hard enough with his support hand, but not necessarily. His hand might just be tired from overgripping?

Take high speed video of your recoil cycle from the side, and make sure there are some horizontal landmarks visible in the background. Look for: gun moving inside the grip, grip separating, or the trigger guard moving away from the support hand. (Hwansik Kim has some excellent videos on this). If none of those things is happening you may not need to grip harder. Many shooters overgrip (for their level of training), and end up with a ton of tension which makes learning to shoot better hard. As well, people end up with injuries.

Honestly, I blame Vogel for some of this. I do not like his grip style, and think it is a poor choice for most shooters. Bottom line: you don't need to do anything weird to shoot at the very top of human performance. Some of the world's best shooters have weird-ass grips, and Vogel is among them. Many other top shooters simply grip the gun naturally with both hands, and grip "really hard" with the support hand, and "pretty hard" with the firing hand.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List