Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USSS Work/Life Question.....

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Thing is, he said they're not sending them through CITP.....so, hey, they're now "Special Agents" that aren't competitive to transfer agencies since they don't have the golden ticket from FLETC.

Crafty, gotta' hand it to them on that one.
    BIA was doing that a while back...sending them through a shorter course at IPA. I don't know if that is still a thing or not.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thing is, he said they're not sending them through CITP.....so, hey, they're now "Special Agents" that aren't competitive to transfer agencies since they don't have the golden ticket from FLETC.

Crafty, gotta' hand it to them on that one.
    My agency is doing something similar starting next year. Basic training will be at FLETC, but it's an agency specific training course, based on CITP and our old add-on. With the way we hemorrhage agents every year when the mandatory move cycle starts, I don't think this move is to "maximize training through-put efficiency," but rather to lock folks into our agency.

Having said all that, I went through an Agency-specific Basic course way back before electricity, and still got grandfathered into my current agency, because it was deemed to be "equivalent."

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My agency is doing something similar starting next year. Basic training will be at FLETC, but it's an agency specific training course, based on CITP and our old add-on. With the way we hemorrhage agents every year when the mandatory move cycle starts, I don't think this move is to "maximize training through-put efficiency," but rather to lock folks into our agency.

Having said all that, I went through an Agency-specific Basic course way back before electricity, and still got grandfathered into my current agency, because it was deemed to be "equivalent."
    I could actually see the training efficiency thing. We're in a similar bind.....not necessarily because we're hemorrhaging agents but because we had a hiring freeze under the Trump administration that absolutely murdered us. We're authorized to hire 180 agents per year for the next 3 years to get us back up to par staffing, but FLETC has already told us no-can-do, they can only give us 100-110 seats per year, which is barely above our normal attrition and especially bad considering the post-9/11 surge hires are about to hit retirement eligibility.

All because the Service loses more agents than they can feasibly hire and train. They're taking up a massive amount of seats at CITP and still only net a few agents per year due to their attrition. If anyone needs to establish their own primary/basic program, it's them, simply for no other reason than the impact they're having on the rest of federal LE.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I could actually see the training efficiency thing. We're in a similar bind.....not necessarily because we're hemorrhaging agents but because we had a hiring freeze under the Trump administration that absolutely murdered us. We're authorized to hire 180 agents per year for the next 3 years to get us back up to par staffing, but FLETC has already told us no-can-do, they can only give us 100-110 seats per year, which is barely above our normal attrition and especially bad considering the post-9/11 surge hires are about to hit retirement eligibility.

All because the Service loses more agents than they can feasibly hire and train. They're taking up a massive amount of seats at CITP and still only net a few agents per year due to their attrition. If anyone needs to establish their own primary/basic program, it's them, simply for no other reason than the impact they're having on the rest of federal LE.
    I completely agree that USSS needs its own academy. I don't buy that doing it at any FLETC campus is the right answer. Through put on the FLETC ranges is ALWAYS the LIMFAC on class size, and range availability there is rarer than a Brunswick hooker without some kind of STD.

If my agency or any other wants to establish their own academy and really control through-put, it can't be at FLETC. Hell, the default used to be to use Artesia for overflow courses, but then between USBP flooding the zone and using Artesia as a holding camp for unaccompanied minors, I don't think there's any room at the inn there, either.

Maybe there's enough capacity at Cheltenham for a smaller agency to use it as it's primary academy, but Glynco is swamped (pun intended).

Back in the old days, agencies would "beg" agents not to jump ship when recruited by other outfits with more "sex appeal", and sometimes, according to what I heard, there would be an agreement between various agencies not to fish in each other's ponds.

It got awkward at times. I was being recruited by Customs to move down to Miami but they specified I had to already be a GS-12, while my current agency was promising me that promotion and at the same asking me, (firmly), not to jump ship once I was promoted to that next grade. They didn't know that I had already been offered a job down there. (Customs was hated by many outfits for poaching agents from other federal LE agencies.)

I got the promotion and a few months later I was gone...not out of spite but because I couldn't afford not to take the opportunity when presented.

Back then the Basic was always at FLETC, and advanced courses were generally a combination of FLETC, agency's own training at FLETC and / or offsites...but transfer between agencies was never (or rarely) problematic. Just usually had to go to the other agency's advanced / specialized training course if they deemed necessary.

Sounds like things are becoming more of a crap shoot in every dimension of the job...and clearly not necessarily for the better.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I know a recruiter who traveled a lot before Covid hit. His travel was shut down for a while during Covid. I am not sure if that impacted the pipeline or not. I know they still found ways to BEX applicants.

This understaffed thing is not new. Hire a bunch, lose a bunch. It seems to depend on politics and budgets of the moment; defund the police, border problem, terrorist bombing. So just getting hiring numbers is one thing. Attrition depends on the work/life part. At some point people figure out if they want to sign on or make a change.

Site Supporter
    Good point; many agencies consider DEA, FBI, and USPIS basic academies to be the equivalent of CITP, even though those are not FLETC programs. As HSI, NCIS, USSS, etc., move in that direction, it might not do much for retention.

I’d be curious to know how USSS SAs who came from UD through internal training are faring as they apply to other agencies.

Site Supporter
    I completely agree that USSS needs its own academy. I don't buy that doing it at any FLETC campus is the right answer. Through put on the FLETC ranges is ALWAYS the LIMFAC on class size, and range availability there is rarer than a Brunswick hooker without some kind of STD.

If my agency or any other wants to establish their own academy and really control through-put, it can't be at FLETC. Hell, the default used to be to use Artesia for overflow courses, but then between USBP flooding the zone and using Artesia as a holding camp for unaccompanied minors, I don't think there's any room at the inn there, either.

Maybe there's enough capacity at Cheltenham for a smaller agency to use it as it's primary academy, but Glynco is swamped (pun intended).
    There is not excess capacity at Cheltenham was designed to provide ranges and driving tracks for in service training and qualification of in-service FLEOs based in DC. There is no housing or DFAC and no real room to add them.

Charleston would be the an option but most of the ranges and driving tracks are located on the nearby Naval Weapons Station which means bussing students.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is not excess capacity at Cheltenham was designed to provide ranges and driving tracks for in service training and qualification of in-service FLEOs based in DC. There is no housing or DFAC and no real room to add them.

Charleston would be the an option but most of the ranges and driving tracks are located on the nearby Naval Weapons Station which means bussing students.
    Totally get the limits of Cheltenham - it would have to be a traditional TDY scenario with folks living off campus - meaning per diem would be a lot spendier. Hadn't thought about Charleston, though I know from 20 years experience what an ENORMOUS PITA it is trying to get consistent use of base ranges on Navy bases, so that's probably not any better.

Site Supporter
    Totally get the limits of Cheltenham - it would have to be a traditional TDY scenario with folks living off campus - meaning per diem would be a lot spendier. Hadn't thought about Charleston, though I know from 20 years experience what an ENORMOUS PITA it is trying to get consistent use of base ranges on Navy bases, so that's probably not any better.
    They are on the navy base but FLETC built the ranges and driving track area when the USBP Academy was there so there are not the usual DOD hassles other than all rifle rounds must be lead free / frangible due to SDZ issues.

User Tag List