Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USSS Work/Life Question.....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Ron Kessler wrote a book that came out in 2010 called “In the President’s Secret Service: Behind the scenes with the agents in the line of fire and the presidents they protect.”

The Amazon guy delivered my copy of “Zero Fail: The rise & fall of the secret service” by Carol Leonnig. last night. I was off and it was raining so I began reading and enjoyed a few beers. Looks like a fine book and I think I would recommend it to anybody interested.

The struggles that the Secret Service have gone through over the years, particularly how overworked they are during an election year, have been well known for a long time. The agents deserve better.

On of my former co-workers and a good friend is currently assigned to SS CAT...I talk to him regularly and have since he jumped ship from our Agency a few years ago, he loves his current gig and never heard him complain prior to joining that fairly specialized team. Different strokes I guess or maybe coming from years slogging it out on the Southern Border anything is an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    On of my former co-workers and a good friend is currently assigned to SS CAT...I talk to him regularly and have since he jumped ship from our Agency a few years ago, he loves his current gig and never heard him complain prior to joining that fairly specialized team. Different strokes I guess or maybe coming from years slogging it out on the Southern Border anything is an upgrade?
    I worked with CAT (provided SWAT support) during a presidential visit a few years ago. Seemed like squared-away guys.

Site Supporter
    Different strokes I guess or maybe coming from years slogging it out on the Southern Border anything is an upgrade?
    You might be on to something there! Different strokes is definitely true. Being a PA in a rural area might be a dream job for someone who would hate to be stuck traveling around major cities all the time, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I worked with CAT (provided SWAT support) during a presidential visit a few years ago. Seemed like squared-away guys.
    I trained in active shooter response with a current CAT agent, and he exuded some qualities I’ve come to associate with squared-away tactical team members: humility, fitness, and a state of unflappable calm.

Dream job for some? Could be I suppose, it’s treated me well...I’d be remiss if I didn’t put out that we’re hiring! Like hundreds and hundreds of openings...still probably well over a thousand vacancies and growing (unless Congress secretly changed our mandatory staffing levels again).

Site Supporter
    Dream job for some? Could be I suppose, it’s treated me well...I’d be remiss if I didn’t put out that we’re hiring! Like hundreds and hundreds of openings...still probably well over a thousand vacancies and growing (unless Congress secretly changed our mandatory staffing levels again).
    If someone likes hot weather, small towns (with some opportunities in big cities), the great outdoors, and wants an action-packed Fed LE job with a six figure income, the Patrol could be a pretty good choice. I considered it myself years ago, and although I’m glad I didn’t go that route, it can be good for plenty of people. I think it’s a better way to “stop the clock” than USSS Uniform Division, at least for people who like to be active.

Site Supporter
    https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/618787400

USSS has been trying to bring back retired agents.

“Maximum age limit (under 60 at the time of appointment)
    Work Full-Time
    Receive Overtime
    Earn Full Annuity and Full Salary”

If these positions are not subject to statutory pay caps, then figure $160k-$170k salary, $60k-$70k pension, whatever you’re pulling out of TSP, plus OT and tons of per diem for travel, and it could easily be over $300k/year. And then you save all of it, because you have no time off!

I was serving some warrants this past week with an HSI agent who had just come from USSS last year. He said that the Service was finally addressing the issue of their UD 083s who want to work their way up to Special Agent jobs and finally started doling out Special Agent gigs to their UD officers, something that has been a sore subject the last decade as the agency typically has been hesitant to "rob Peter to pay Paul". Most people would think that going USSS-UD would be a natural foot in the door for an SA gig, but in reality it's been a good way to ensure you don't get considered.

Thing is, he said they're not sending them through CITP.....so, hey, they're now "Special Agents" that aren't competitive to transfer agencies since they don't have the golden ticket from FLETC.

Crafty, gotta' hand it to them on that one.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was serving some warrants this past week with an HSI agent who had just come from USSS last year. He said that the Service was finally addressing the issue of their UD 083s who want to work their way up to Special Agent jobs and finally started doling out Special Agent gigs to their UD officers, something that has been a sore subject the last decade as the agency typically has been hesitant to "rob Peter to pay Paul". Most people would think that going USSS-UD would be a natural foot in the door for an SA gig, but in reality it's been a good way to ensure you don't get considered.

Thing is, he said they're not sending them through CITP.....so, hey, they're now "Special Agents" that aren't competitive to transfer agencies since they don't have the golden ticket from FLETC.

Crafty, gotta' hand it to them on that one.
    Given that there are substantial numbers of “former USSS” in HSI and other agencies such as the virtual mafia of ex-USSS in the various OIG agencies it’s no surprise.

I did over 6 months on the campaign trail, TDYed to USSS. 21 days in the road, and then 21 days at home doing my regular HSI job. I can say, doing it for 6 mo this was interesting. I got to see a lot of sights, and visit a lot of cities I would never have gone on my own. Meet a ton of politicians and celebrities. Made a ton of over time. I had a blast, and will hopefully do it again in 2023, right before I retire BUT, I knew it was short term.

If I had to do that constantly for years? Nope. No way. The comment of the ”marriage breaker” is spot on. My kids are out of the house now, so being gone 21 days straight is not shoving my wife under the bus. But if you had kids under 5? Yeah, that would be highly stressful on a marriage.

I work with multiple former USSS guys in my office. When I taught at Fletc, every class had at least one former (sometimes several) USSS guys. None of them had any desire to go back.

The comment on it being a golden ticket for post retirement work is spot on.

If you want to get into high speed chases, actually chase bad guys, kick in doors, and do cop stuff, USSS is probably not for you.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List