Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JCN has all kinds of bad ideas: 380ACP out of a J-frame

Not sure if I’m watching awesome, evil genius or a train wreck, but I can’t wait to see what happens next.

It’ll probably work.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    This excites me more than the new HK pistol. I am serious.

Judge me as you see fit.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

This is a mad science project I can get behind. I'm curious if it works, would recoil be less than wadcutters? Accuracy and point of aim? Would it be similar to those Magtech .38 Special Shorts that are so fun to shoot?

Hammertime
    Definitely interested in your results. This could be good for the recoil sensitive amongst us.

No idea why, but I really want to see what happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Not sure if I’m watching awesome, evil genius or a train wreck, but I can’t wait to see what happens next.

It’ll probably work.
    Awesome evil genius works.

I’m just a curious guy who likes to test hypotheses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    This excites me more than the new HK pistol. I am serious.
    I’m pretty jazzed. I used to do a lot of ballistic type and shootabilty tests, but then I answered all my questions regarding carry.

Haven’t done a test like this in a while. It’s fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

This is a mad science project I can get behind. I'm curious if it works, would recoil be less than wadcutters? Accuracy and point of aim? Would it be similar to those Magtech .38 Special Shorts that are so fun to shoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Definitely interested in your results. This could be good for the recoil sensitive amongst us.
    The reason I thought of this is that short barrel ammo is deceiving. 9mm out of a short barrel revolver is ballistically the same as a lot of 357 magnum but WAY more shootable. At those barrel lengths the case length difference winds up mattering.

So what if we had a similar situation with 380 where it’s more shootable but similar ballistically to 38 special?

Feels are deceiving for ballistics so that’s why I like testing.

If it works I’ll do some 5 shot rapid fire drills for speed and group. With some video to show the recoil difference.

Being able to scrounge ammo is cool but I still think Id prefer .38s if I had a choice

For training or gaming its definitely sounds like a plan though

I have gotten more joy out of JCN’s what if questions lately... keep rocking the road less traveled!

Next thing we know you'll be shooting 40 S&W out of your 10mm!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I wouldn’t. The .380 (9x18mm, 9mm Kurz) is a tapered case, the .38/.357 is a straight walled case. In your photo below, you see the chambers cut into the cylinder, with the front end of the cylinder cut to size smaller than the chamber, but large enough to lead to the forcing cone of the barrel. When you fire the .380 round, there is no way to hold the tapered case concentric with the bore of the cylinder, and the bullets will likely bang into the end of the cylinder and the forcing cone unpredictably, potentially causing pressure spikes. Plus you have the difference in case length, leading to fouling buildup in front of the 380 case mouth, which will make it difficult to shoot the longer .38/357 later due to the fouling buildup.

Attachment 70521

That’s with the moon clip fitting.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List