Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLETC Firearms Training

FLETC Firearms Training

Has anyone here attended the Advanced Pistol Training Program? I've pretty much taken every course that my agency offers and I'm getting into outside training now. Since this is free and ammo is covered why not? The link doesn't give much info on whats actually covered in the five day class.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Has anyone here attended the Advanced Pistol Training Program? I've pretty much taken every course that my agency offers and I'm getting into outside training now. Since this is free and ammo is covered why not? The link doesn't give much info on whats actually covered in the five day class.
    I'd do Paul Howe's Tactical Rifle and Pistol Instructor course if you want to get a solid credential and the training to back it. I've done these courses, which are now incorporated into one and can't say enough good about Paul or his training. Plus, he's in Texas.

https://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter

I’m a recent graduate (Feb 2021) of FLETC’s Advanced Pistol Instructor Training Program, which I attended in Cheltenham, Maryland.

It’s an excellent course overall, and it’s predicated on making fast, accurate hits in a compressed time envelope. I am happy to answer any questions that you might have either here or via PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked up the training announcement. The equipment description said to bring 3 mags but didn't mention much of anything else. I've never attended a FLETC class so these questions may seem silly but do participants get to use their own handgun, gear etc.? What about ammo required?

I'm interested in trying to get in a class but my City's COVID travel ban may prevent me from being able to.

You'll get to shoot your own pistol, but, depending on the campus, you might have to surrender it at the front gate before going onto campus. FLETC will provide the ammo. I'd bring every magazine you have - when I went through the instructor course (a long time ago), we shot a LOT, so the less time you spend stuffing magazines, the better...

Im a graduate of the FITP at Glynco and took a three day pistol course at Charleston. The training is good, and free. If going to Charleston or Glynco, room and board is included as well. All it cost my agency was a couple of tanks of gas and time. You will be issued uniforms at both and will be required to wear them to class. You take your gun, but check it in at the guard house upon arrival. It will be brought to the range by the instructors. If you plan on carrying when leaving campus in the evenings, take a second gun. Tell the guys at the guardhouse to keep that one there, because you have to check them in and out when coming/going. The gun you will be using in class will be in a seperate armory and the guard shack guys won't have access. Personally, I'd go if I were you. Plenty of trigger time and, especially in these times, you arent burning up your ammo. I wanted to go work there in retirement, but the wife said no to a move.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Im a graduate of the FITP at Glynco and took a three day pistol course at Charleston. The training is good, and free. If going to Charleston or Glynco, room and board is included as well. All it cost my agency was a couple of tanks of gas and time. You will be issued uniforms at both and will be required to wear them to class. You take your gun, but check it in at the guard house upon arrival. It will be brought to the range by the instructors. If you plan on carrying when leaving campus in the evenings, take a second gun. Tell the guys at the guardhouse to keep that one there, because you have to check them in and out when coming/going. The gun you will be using in class will be in a seperate armory and the guard shack guys won't have access. Personally, I'd go if I were you. Plenty of trigger time and, especially in these times, you arent burning up your ammo. I wanted to go work there in retirement, but the wife said no to a move.
    ^^^^ All this if you are attending training at a FLETC facility. I graduated FITP at Artesia. You will not be allowed to possess a firearm, or ammo, on campus.

The APTP kind of sounds like a revamp of the Survival Shooting Training Program, which I attended earlier in Grand Island, NE when the instructor cadre from Glynco had a traveling road show. As I recall, that was was long on speed and smoothness, but any accuracy requirement was minute-of-felon.

It's worth going if you can get a slot, but you will probably get more bang for your buck by following Wayne's advice.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

@andre3k

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The APTP kind of sounds like a revamp of the Survival Shooting Training Program, which I attended earlier in Grand Island, NE when the instructor cadre from Glynco had a traveling road show. As I recall, that was was long on speed and smoothness, but any accuracy requirement was minute-of-felon.
    If I'm not mistaken, the APTP and APITP are the new incarnations of the Survival Shooting Training Program (SSTP) and the Reactive Shooting Instructor Training Program (RSITP) respectively. It's been years since I went (export) but SSTP and RSITP were excellent. Times were tight, tests were shot on the transtar and assorted other targets through the week. Cadre and teaching were solid. Student materials were comprehensive and and included a CD or DVD with instructional videos. At the time, SSTP and RSITP provided foundational curriculum for several institutions breaking out of the legacy NRA LEAD products into performance shooting in the LE context. NLETC in Grand Island was one. That was back when "thumbs forward", "press-out", "reactive shooting", and the FAM TPC were mind-benders.

A FLETC certificate may be easier to sell, more beneficial to your PIF, or more portable than some others. There is also some potential cost savings with a FLETC product. Other products, and @Wayne Dobbs recommendation of Paul Howe, should be on your list too.

I'd take APTP or APITP if an export was nearby.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Get what you pay for....

Figured I'd throw in my experience on this. I worked at FLETC (Brunswick / GLYNCO) for past 5 years. Now retired. Just keep in mind that ALL of FLETC is designed to teach you how to teach their lesson plans...not yours! Of course they use catch phrases that say otherwise but they DO NOT teach you techniques based on your agency. Hope that makes sense. I am certified in about a dozen (maybe more) instructor level courses all related to firearms and tactics and use of force. So my advice is to take the course! It's great as long as you know what your getting. Another issue I have is some instructors are better than others. That should not be the case when following a lesson plan, but I personally know quite a few current instructors who give you a little more freedom during those classes and will bend them to your needs. Just don't let "big FLETC" know he/she did that.

User Tag List