Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLETC Firearms Training

Quote Originally Posted by RT3 Strategies View Post
    Figured I'd throw in my experience on this. I worked at FLETC (Brunswick / GLYNCO) for past 5 years. Now retired. Just keep in mind that ALL of FLETC is designed to teach you how to teach their lesson plans...not yours! Of course they use catch phrases that say otherwise but they DO NOT teach you techniques based on your agency. Hope that makes sense. I am certified in about a dozen (maybe more) instructor level courses all related to firearms and tactics and use of force. So my advice is to take the course! It's great as long as you know what your getting. Another issue I have is some instructors are better than others. That should not be the case when following a lesson plan, but I personally know quite a few current instructors who give you a little more freedom during those classes and will bend them to your needs. Just don't let "big FLETC" know he/she did that.

^^^THIS^^^

I was required to attend Lead Firearms Recertification at Glynco every 3 years. Never turn down an opportunity for a FLETC course and have fun however comma. As far as Agency training it was so so And as RT3 mentioned some instructors are better than others and a lot of SOP stuff that we should already know. In my view it also was more saftey observer institutional inbreeding type stuff..

Now some advanced training was better. But again that can depend on instructor and other students as some don't want to be there (much like qualifications)

As Wayne Dobbs stated folks like Paul Howe and the like would probably be 3 levels above.And they follow experience over an agency "script I recently attended Handgun Combatives course on my own dime and it was excellent.

So my advice do all the FLETC stuff is able but seek out some vetted instructors in the private sector as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RT3 Strategies View Post
    Just don't let "big FLETC" know he/she did that.
    I always enjoyed it when an instructor would place their hand over the FLETC emblem on their shirt to show that what they were about to say was not "the party line."
    Placing the hand over the emblem was an indicator that truth was about to be spoken.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Lol. Yep!!!
    The guys there are great. The institution is what sucks. The good instructors will tell ya that over a beer or in private. However, none... let me repeat....none of the instructors there are law enforcement. They’re a few retired LEOs and some “former” ones, but none are current and a lot never were. Hence the lesson plans, etc. being less than par. We used to say FLETC is 5-10 years behind normal L/E.

I have not gone through a student level firearms class at FLETC. Their instructor course was typical of an institutional school focussing on running a line of shooters through a course of fire rather than individual coaching.

A friend of mine often states, "FLETC has a lot of daddies." when he talks about the firearms training there. They have to keep a lot of agencies happy resulting in a somewhat diluted product.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have not gone through a student level firearms class at FLETC. Their instructor course was typical of an institutional school focussing on running a line of shooters through a course of fire rather than individual coaching.

A friend of mine often states, "FLETC has a lot of daddies." when he talks about the firearms training there. They have to keep a lot of agencies happy resulting in a somewhat diluted product.
    This is spot on.

IME FLETC doesn’t really develop anything new, they merely assimilate the work of others and what ever they do choose to adopt has to be palatable to all of the 80 plus partner organizations. What’s that old saying about a camel being a horse designed by committee ?

While not cutting edge, the up side of that conservative approach is their POI is generally safe and effective both physically and in terms of liability.

User Tag List