Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For folks using a revolver for your "bump in the night" gun: Flashlight Strategies?

Site Supporter

For folks using a revolver for your "bump in the night" gun: Flashlight Strategies?

Title says it all: What are you folks who use a round gun for your "bump-in-the-night" gun doing about flashlights?

Techniques?
    Brand?
    Grip rings, loops, etc?
    Switch Location?
    Hyscore grips?

Same as any other gun when using a handheld.

I hold my light at my neck.

Reloading is trickier because im holding the light and revolver in one hand. You need to be aware or when you slap the ejector rod you can also smack the end on the light which kinda hurts.

I’m old and have used and taught the Harries light technique among others for years. It’s probably what I’ll default to under stress.

Bedside I have a Surefire 6Z with a Malkoff LED head and a lanyard that I used to carry on duty. It’s only @600 lumens but produces a wall of white light. In my pocket when out and about I have a PowerTac E5 that I bought before they decided that the front bezel needed razor sharp points. Both use rechargeable NiMH batteries. Both lights are small enough diameter that I can palm them with the revolver while doing a strong hand reload.

Same as 03RN on the neck hold with my hand held . For my home, my policy is to always use a hand held for identification in conjunction with my pistol even if pistol has a light. I have the switchback on my shurfire EDCL2-T and on my modlite. I found that the little flippy technique that people do with the switchback for the pseudo two handed grip is just not repeatable enough for me to use it that way. But its fantastic for retaining the light on my hand as I preform other tasks. This feature is used almost every time I pull my light out.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Bump in the night? I use light switches—the ones on the wall. Beyond that, what @03RN said.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Bump in the night? I use light switches—the ones on the wall. Beyond that, what @03RN said.
    I've installed several of those trim plates for electrical outlets that have built in LED lights. They are pretty cheap and even a semi-Amish guy like me can install them. There's no wiring, they have clips that contact the innards (technical term) to get their power from the wires to the outlet. A sensor turns them on when it's dark. It's my space, I figure I might as well prep it to repel boarders as well as to not brake my damned neck trying to go to the bathroom when my wife decided to leave a pair of shoes in my normal path. Hypothetically.

Unless the power is out, none of my halls or common areas are ever too dark to make an identification on someone in the house. But, yes, I still have a flashlight at the ready.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've installed several of those trim plates for electrical outlets that have built in LED lights. They are pretty cheap and even a semi-Amish guy like me can install them. There's no wiring, they have clips that contact the innards (technical term) to get their power from the wires to the outlet. A sensor turns them on when it's dark. It's my space, I figure I might as well prep it to repel boarders as well as to not brake my damned neck trying to go to the bathroom when my wife decided to leave a pair of shoes in my normal path. Hypothetically.

Unless the power is out, none of my halls or common areas are ever too dark to make an identification on someone in the house. But, yes, I still have a flashlight at the ready.
    We have them in every room: https://www.snappower.com/ They don't wreck your night vision on those after hours potty runs.

My house isn't totally dark. The light above the kitchen sink gets left on and I have a power company provided security light on their pole that illuminates our parking area. I get some spill off of that and I can navigate with out extra lighting. I also have 3 Great Danes and if anyone is dumb enough to come in on them there will be an entanglement problem and I will be flipping light switches. If the bump is outside, light in left hand searching for whatever made the bump, gun holstered, clipped to pants or stuffed into pants pocket.

Our bedroom door has an exterior door lock. I used to keep a railed pistol next to my bed, along with several flashlights. Now I keep my carry gun, which is a revolver or 1911. In the event of a break in, my wife and I would stay put in the bedroom. I’d rather have the police shoot it out. If we had to venture out, it would only take 10 seconds to open the gun safe door, and grab and AR or railed pistol.

Surefire LX2, or similar. I normally hold it in a way that some have termed the “Cigar hold,” but might use a neck index hold, situationally.

There is nothing revolver-specific about this, in my case.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List