Thread: Anything special about this 7.62x39?

Anything special about this 7.62x39?

The post in the deals thread about Tula being listed for $1000/500 brought this stuff to mind. I picked it up back when I had multiple AKs and SKSs to feed so probably over 10 years ago. Looks like it came in during the mid-90s.

Is there any collectibility or reason it should bring more than the .35 cents/rd I’m seeing on AmmoSeek?

Name:  9DF22D94-ED90-405A-B25B-EEE16B1E7145.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  85.1 KB
    Name:  5B4099FA-C58B-4ED3-8A8D-7A6B74972464.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  90.4 KB
    Name:  88607B30-3A8A-4D4D-8101-55E2FBAB25F0.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  85.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I noticed it says HP LCB for the projectile type. There was a lot of Ulyanovsk 8M3 'Effect' 7.62x39 marked like that, and it was imported in that same time frame.
    It mostly came in specific 8M3 marked 500rnd cardboard boxes of (25 boxes of 20 rnds in white/blue packages) but also 1440rnd crates like that as well, but those crates were marked very inconsistently.
    The 8M3 projectile is well regarded as having a significantly more effective expanding projectile than most other Russian ammo.

Personally I think it'd be worth cracking open to see if it's the 8M3 'effect' HP, in which case likely worth .50-.55c if not a nudge more. I know there's AK guys that seek out that ammo quite diligently and pay a premium for it.

Thanks, I'll open it tonight if I get a chance and see for sure.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

What JRB said. I see arguments all the time in the AK community about the consistency from year to year, lot to lot, plant to plant for the reliable expansion and fragmentation of the 8M3 projectiles. But it is certainly an article of faith among a lot of the AK community that it is indeed premium stuff among the various steel case rusky made ammo. If it is demonstrably 8M3 you should get a premium for it, especially in the current market where it seems very scarce.

Ok, here's what's inside. No markings, nuthin.

Name:  IMG_3867.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3868.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  33.8 KB

Found this under the shelf the mystery crate was on:
    Name:  IMG_3830.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  74.0 KB

The boxes inside the cardboard sleeve are probably marked... tons of ComBloc 7.62x39 was sold in the sleeves you have pictured.

And what Fatdog and JRB said.. is 100% correct.

You might have some of the "good HP" ammo... look at some of the Google images brought up by the 8HP on the wood crate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=7.62...=firefox-b-1-d
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 04-29-2021 at 07:00 PM.

I really wasn't wanting to open any of those packs in case there was any collector value but since that really wasn't an option I did just a little bit ago. Turns out I didn't win the 8M3 lottery, it's 711 over 94 (Klimovsk if the links I've followed are right). Not going to open the spam can since it's clearly marked 8HP.

I'll contact the owner of a small shop nearby and see if he's in the mood to deal.

User Tag List