Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New HK pistol

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I can see why they aren't dropping the R&D $ on one and pursuing safer projects.
    You could’ve said the same thing when they developed the VP9. At the time all their competitors already had a striker fired pistol of the same size, similar features, lower price point.

I understand where you’re coming from. There is significantly more competition with a 1.5 stack, but along with that comes the demand being significantly higher than for a vp9xl.

edit: poor grammar

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    You could’ve said the same thing when they developed the VP9. At the time all their competitors already had a striker fired pistol of the same size, similar features, lower price point.

I understand where you’re coming from. There is significantly more competition with a 1.5 stack, but along with that comes the demand being significantly higher than for a vp9xl.

edit: poor grammar
    Reasonable points. I think the difference is those 100,000 plus SFP9’s they’ve sold to military and law enforcement- not sure that a CCW oriented pistol would provide for that kind of volume of sales, when you consider the overall market.

One can hope they are working on this sort of civilian-oriented item, and I agree the demand would be significant. Significant enough to warrant the expense is perhaps a separate matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Reasonable points. I think the difference is those 100,000 plus SFP9’s they’ve sold to military and law enforcement- not sure that a CCW oriented pistol would provide for that kind of volume of sales, when you consider the overall market.

One can hope they are working on this sort of civilian-oriented item, and I agree the demand would be significant. Significant enough to warrant the expense is perhaps a separate matter.
    Yes, the VP9 had military and LEO sales potential in addition to the US and Foreign civilian market.

A 1/1.5 Stack CCW H&K would really just have the US Civilian market. Not only is that type of pistol generally less applicable to LEO/Mil, but I think a number of the other foreign Civilian markets (Canada, Australia, not sure about the EU) have minimum size requirements for pistols, in order to allow 'target' pistols but restrict easily concealable models. Even those countries that nominally allow any size pistol to those with pistol licenses, most restrict the concealed carrying of those pistols, making the market slim for a subcompact.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The gun for these people: brains<money.

HK: We're going to bring out a 20-round pistol into a market where it's a possibility that magazines over ten rounds may be verboten.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    HK: We're going to bring out a 20-round pistol into a market where it's a possibility that magazines over ten rounds may be verboten.
    A market where anything shaped like a gun flies off the shelf and people are hoping for grandfathering and many prioritize higher capacity items while they can. If they release it here, the manufacturing line won't be able to keep up with demand.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    A market where anything shaped like a gun flies off the shelf and people are hoping for grandfathering and many prioritize higher capacity items while they can. If they release it here, the manufacturing line won't be able to keep up with demand.
    Possibly true. The VP9L-OR sells out fast whenever it (frequently) pops up. This pistol has an extra 1/2” of barrel and a gamer trigger, and that trigger is perhaps the most interesting aspect given that aftermarket triggers tend to be less than reliable.

The only problem is that changing trigger parts in a VP frame is… unpleasant.

With each passing day a magazine ban becomes more likely. People who refuse to believe this aren't paying attention. It happened once and it can just as easily happen again.

I have no idea what HK might bring, if they're actually planning to do that, but my guess is single stack pistols will be the next flavor. I bought 3 last year.

I had an HK model 4 (.380) that was easy to shoot well. I would buy another one of those if they built one.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-24-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

This twenty round magazine is just their standard P30/VP9 magazine with an extension, so hardly a big development effort. If there is a ten round limit, Hk’s ten round magazine is one of the best available from any manufacturer.

The good news and bad news about HK is that the company has many year planning cycles, and is unlikely to be influenced by today’s headlines. While a large military/LE contract can get their attention, catering to civilian wants has never been a major priority for HK.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    it can just as easily happen again.
    Can it really though? There are millions (maybe billions?) more mags out there in civilian ownership/use of greater than 10-round capacity than there were in 1994. From a purely logistical standpoint, even if you actually got such a law passed, how would you round up all of the mags in question? Hell, how would you round up just the Glock mags > 10 rounds capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Can it really though? There are millions (maybe billions?) more mags out there in civilian ownership/use of greater than 10-round capacity than there were in 1994. From a purely logistical standpoint, even if you actually got such a law passed, how would you round up all of the mags in question? Hell, how would you round up just the Glock mags > 10 rounds capacity?
    Not rounded up, just illegal to own. SD shooting, even in your home, gets your ticket punched.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List