Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PX4 barrel is binding and holding slide out of battery… I think

PX4 barrel is binding and holding slide out of battery… I think

I have a PX4 purchased used. Was is very good condition and no visible issues. Put around 700 rounds down range since obtaining it.

The last trip to the range after every round the slide would stick to the rear past even where the slide lock would engage. Had to tap it to get it back in battery, after about 5 rounds it was clear something was wrong.

I was also able to duplicate that condition by hand with no magazine and no ammo in chamber.

I removed the barrel and placed the recoil spring in the frame and put the slide on. Cycles fine to rear and does not show any signs of binding. Once the barrel is installed is when this condition happens consistently.

I have to assume something worked it way in there and caused this issue? Not sure what to do right now except take it out of my EDC until figured out.

Some images taken last night.. does anyone see what might confirm excessive wear? I honestly haven’t closely inspected the barrel previously that I can say yes or no.

The image of the barrel attach#98183 seems to show possible gouge in the groove?

Name:  JPEG image 6.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  25.3 KB
    Name:  JPEG image.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.2 KB
    Name:  JPEG image 4.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  JPEG image 3.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  46.7 KB

It may be some other problem, but my first troubleshooting step would be to make sure the gun was lubed properly.

First thought, is recoil spring/guide installed backwards? Not sure if it is physically possible to re-assemble with it backwards but that's my first thought.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    It may be some other problem, but my first troubleshooting step would be to make sure the gun was lubed properly.
    +1. I've got three PX4s and none of them have done this. I have noticed that they like to be run relatively wet. I lube them about every 500 rounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    First thought, is recoil spring/guide installed backwards? Not sure if it is physically possible to re-assemble with it backwards but that's my first thought.
    I don't think that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I don't think that's possible.
    I was leaning towards most likely not possible but then again I have some impressive personal accomplishments on my record where I have made the impossible possible when mistakenly doing something backwards. I'll check on my PX4s next change I get.

Not familiar with the PX4, in a Glock or other non-rotating barrel I would suspect a barrel bulge. Any recent high pressure rounds or a possible undetected squib with another round fired while the squib was in the barrel? Are you shooting reloads?

With just the barrel in the slide can you run the barrel forward to where it sticks then mark it and check for bulges, burrs or other reasons that it won't continue through the bushing in the slide?

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

If you love it... put a ring on it!

Quote Originally Posted by JackNeat View Post
    I have a PX4 purchased used. Was is very good condition and no visible issues. Put around 700 rounds down range since obtaining it.

The last trip to the range after every round the slide would stick to the rear past even where the slide lock would engage. Had to tap it to get it back in battery, after about 5 rounds it was clear something was wrong.

I was also able to duplicate that condition by hand with no magazine and no ammo in chamber.

I removed the barrel and placed the recoil spring in the frame and put the slide on. Cycles fine to rear and does not show any signs of binding. Once the barrel is installed is when this condition happens consistently.

I have to assume something worked it way in there and caused this issue? Not sure what to do right now except take it out of my EDC until figured out.

Some images taken last night.. does anyone see what might confirm excessive wear? I honestly haven’t closely inspected the barrel previously that I can say yes or no.

The image of the barrel attach#98183 seems to show possible gouge in the groove?
    Your cam and barrel look fine and unmarred.

Firstly, I would suggest that you always make sure to put a ring of grease around the cam lug.

Name:  Cam happy .jpg
Views: 276
Size:  48.3 KB

For more suggestions on lubrication, check out this map:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ull-size/page3 post 27

The guide rod assembly cannot be put in backwards, as the guide rod is too long if the rear point (that locks it into the frame) is out of place.

So, the rotating barrel does more than rotate. There is a straight channel at the rear end of the barrel's cam track where it locks in for more pressure relieving delay, even before rotating. It should not be overlooked for lubrication. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page4 post 37

It is possible that the pistol was stored with the slide back or some other thing made the rebound spring weak or old. A new guide rod assembly is possibly needed. It seems less likely, as it ran for 700 rounds. They don't poop out suddenly.

I would try wiping down all parts and putting the ring of grease and grease on the sides of the barrel's cam track first.

Was the ammo exceptionally hot?
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 12-08-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks for the info! I have not applied any special attention to the cam lug as just suggested. This is the first time hearing about that so thank you. I have just run the pistol wet - ballistol as cleaner and lube.

The recoil spring was always installed properly. I did order and just received a new recoil spring assembly from Baretta as I was thinking it might be a good idea to have it on hand.

The ammo I have run is 124gr Fiocchi. The majority of that 700 though was white box Federal 115gr which was shot at an all day class a few months ago.

I will go over those links you posted to familiarize myself with the recommendations and I'll definitely start to apply some grease to the lug and barrel groove as suggested.

Glad to hear that nobody saw any odd or excessive wear... Hope to report back that the wipe down and follow up lubrication and some grease applied as needed is the fix.

User Tag List